Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Tips for child that is afraid of the dark

My DD is suddenly afraid at bedtime.  I can tell that she is really scared.  We have a night light in her room, a handheld night light and a flashlight in her bed with her.  Last night she asked if we could keep her light on.  I have no problem with doing that, but the lamp gets soooo hot!  We ended up leaving the hallway light on and she still came in our room very early.  Any pointers?  TIA
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers TTC #2 since Sep 09. BFP 08/1/11 Missed MC 9/12/11 D&E 9/14/11 @ 11 weeks (baby measured @ 8 weeks) Clomid 1=BFN Clomid/IUI 2 cycles=BFN Femara/IUI & Progesterone=BFN Femara/IUI on 3/9/12 & Progesterone 2x day=BFP on 3/19/12!! Beta #1 (3/20)=48 Beta #2 (3/22)=153 Beta #3 (3/26)=1207 Beta #4 (3/28)=3313 Beta #5 (3/30)=7682!!! 1st us 4/2/12 5w5d saw heartbeat BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Tips for child that is afraid of the dark

• Options
    2Gma2Gma member
    Poor girl, I remember being afraid of the dark as a child.  Sounds like you are doing good with night lights.  Perhaps getting one of those projection night lights that show stars or other comforting figures on the ceiling or walls for her to look at while she falls alseep.  Getting a book about being afraid of the dark (Berenstain bears, etc.) and limit any scary shows that may be contributing to her fears.  And of course, just talking about what scares her and reassuring that you are there.
    DD#1 5 years DD#2 3 years
  • Options
    We got a humidifier that projects images on the ceiling and lights up. Kids love it
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto pp.  If you've given her that many light-up things and she's still scared, I would just switch to a low wattage bulb and leave the light on.  I was terrified of the dark when I was younger and I remember my parents used to leave my bedroom light on for me all night long.  They were afraid it would keep me awake, but in fact it helped me sleep.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We use the hall light, a light he can hold and the projector.  My sister put her DD's over head light on a dimmer switch.  That is easy and cheap to do.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thank you all so much for the wonderful tips!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers TTC #2 since Sep 09. BFP 08/1/11 Missed MC 9/12/11 D&E 9/14/11 @ 11 weeks (baby measured @ 8 weeks) Clomid 1=BFN Clomid/IUI 2 cycles=BFN Femara/IUI & Progesterone=BFN Femara/IUI on 3/9/12 & Progesterone 2x day=BFP on 3/19/12!! Beta #1 (3/20)=48 Beta #2 (3/22)=153 Beta #3 (3/26)=1207 Beta #4 (3/28)=3313 Beta #5 (3/30)=7682!!! 1st us 4/2/12 5w5d saw heartbeat BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"