Trouble TTC

FML. What does this mean?

AF is 3 days late and I am VERY regular. I had an IUI done on CD 14, which was Mar 16. The nurse gave me a req for blood test yesterday if I hadn't gotten AF. So I went for the test at 11am yesterday. I was being impatient so at 8pm last night I POAS and had the FAINTEST positive. DH and I had to squint to see it but we both agreed it was there. Today my doc's office called me and said my hCG level was VERY low, only 8. What does such a low # mean? And how did the ClearBlue pregnancy test pick up anything yesterday?

Now I just POAS again and negative. No hint of a line at all. What happened? This is the first time I have had anything even close to a positive. Was it an early miscarriage? Is there still a chance I am pregnant?

You guys are smart and I thought you could help me. I don't want to be hopeful if there's no chance. I also want to know what's up. TIA.

Started TTC Aug '09
Me: 24, HSG=clear, normal hormone levels, regular cycles, insulin resistance
DH: 25, SA normal
Dx Unexplained Infertility Oct '11
3 cycles of Clomid w/ TI =BFN
IUI#1 Jan. 23 w/ Clomid =BFN
IUI#2 Feb. 19 w/ Clomid =BFN
IUI#3 Mar. 16 w/ Clomid= Apr. 1 beta=8, very faint BFP w/ ClearBlue test...Apr. 2 @ 9pm-BFN w/ ClearBlue...Apr. 3- spotting and cramping...Apr. 5, confirmed c/p.
IUI#4 May. 16 w/ Clomid =BFN
IUI#5 Jun. 11 w/ Clomid =BFN
IUI#6 Jul. 6 w/ Gonal-F 75units + Ovidrel =BFN
TI w/ Gonal-F 75units + Ovidrel =BFN
IUI#7 Aug. 28 w/ Gonal-F 125units + Ovidrel =BFN
Break cycle=BFN
IUI#8 Oct. 20 w/ Gonal-F 125units + Ovidrel + Progesterone =BFN
IUI#9 Nov. 13 w/ Gonal-F 150units + Ovidrel + Acupuncture + Progesterone =BFN
IVF#1-- ER Mar. 3: 9R, 7M, 7F. ET scheduled for Mar. 8

A CACKLE A DAY

Re: FML. What does this mean?

• Sounds like a c/p unfortunately.  OTC tests have been known to pick up even 5!  For 14dpo it's very low.  Now, RileyGrace had a number very close to that and now has a daughter to show for it, so keep testing and if it gets darker go back and get your hCG retested.  I just don't want to give you false hope at this point because it doesn't look great :(.  I'll pray for you tonight!
    -adorUHbuL

• That's what I was already thinking, but didn't want to. Thank you.

Started TTC Aug '09
    IUI#3 Mar. 16 w/ Clomid= Apr. 1 beta=8, very faint BFP w/ ClearBlue test...Apr. 2 @ 9pm-BFN w/ ClearBlue...Apr. 3- spotting and cramping...Apr. 5, confirmed c/p.
    Break cycle=BFN

A CACKLE A DAY

• Loading the player...
  • I remember you from your post about your referral to the fertility clinic being delayed as it wasn't sent in the first place.

Did you do the ovulation induction cycle with the IUI or use OPK's?

I finally had my first consult with Dr. Motan in January and had my first IUI on February 21. Unfortunately, beta was negative and AF was delayed by the Prometrium suppositories. I went on March 16 for my baseline ultrasound for cycle #2 (maybe I saw you in waiting room) and Dr. Sagle cancelled my cycle due to a cyst from overstimulation from the past cycle.

I'll keep you in my thoughts this evening that there is still a chance and you don't have to go through the process again. Feel free to PM me if you want! I don't know anyone else who is going to the Fertility Clinic in Edmonton.

• imageMich1724:

I remember you from your post about your referral to the fertility clinic being delayed as it wasn't sent in the first place.

I finally had my first consult with Dr. Motan in January and had my first IUI on February 21. Unfortunately, beta was negative and AF was delayed by the Prometrium suppositories. I went on March 16 for my baseline ultrasound for cycle #2 (maybe I saw you in waiting room) and Dr. Sagle cancelled my cycle due to a cyst from overstimulation from the past cycle.

I'll keep you in my thoughts this evening that there is still a chance and you don't have to go through the process again. Feel free to PM me if you want! I don't know anyone else who is going to the Fertility Clinic in Edmonton.

Oh really?

Ovulation induction? I was taking Clomid. And I was using OPKs to know when I would ovulate. I see Dr. Cumming but he hasn't sent me for any ultrasounds to monitor while on Clomid. This was my last cycle on Clomid, the 6th cycle. I'm going in on Thurs to talk about what we are going to do next. This was our third (failed) IUI.

That would have been weird if we were there at the same time. I was there at 9am.

Yeah I hope so. I'll keep you in my thoughts too. Hopefully next cycle works out for you...Yeah I don't know anyone personally that is going through this and going to the Fertility Clinic in Edmonton.

Started TTC Aug '09
    Break cycle=BFN

A CACKLE A DAY

• If your HCG came back at anything other than 0, then there was a pregnancy at some point, but like PP said, it sounds like a c/p.

Im really sorry :(

http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • imagecacklemonsta:
    imageMich1724:

I remember you from your post about your referral to the fertility clinic being delayed as it wasn't sent in the first place.

Oh really?

Ovulation induction? I was taking Clomid. And I was using OPKs to know when I would ovulate. I see Dr. Cumming but he hasn't sent me for any ultrasounds to monitor while on Clomid. This was my last cycle on Clomid, the 6th cycle. I'm going in on Thurs to talk about what we are going to do next. This was our third (failed) IUI.

That would have been weird if we were there at the same time. I was there at 9am.

Yeah I hope so. I'll keep you in my thoughts too. Hopefully next cycle works out for you...Yeah I don't know anyone personally that is going through this and going to the Fertility Clinic in Edmonton.

I had a gynecologist try one round of Clomid on me but I had such bad side effects that Dr. Motan chose to forgo any more Clomid cycles and jump right to injections. So I go CD3 for baseline ultrasound and blood work (that was March 16 and I was there from 8 a.m. until about 10:15 a.m. so I would have been there the same time as you). From CD3 I do nightly injections of Puregon and go back within 4 to 5 days for monitoring ultrasound and blood work. Last cycle Dr. Cumming's was the one who performed my "final" ultrasound before I had a trigger shot with HCG to induce ovulation and then 36 hours later IUI was performed, and thankfully by Dr. Cumming as well since I found he had the best bedside manner of the few doctors I had seen for the ultrasounds. Dr. Sagle said I could have done IUI this go around and I had 6 tentative IUI's booked but cancelled them all as I wasn't able to definitively catch the surge and I didn't want to pay $250 if I was uncertain.

Have you heard anything back definitively regarding your test?

• imageMich1724:
    imagecacklemonsta:
    imageMich1724:

Oh really?

I had a gynecologist try one round of Clomid on me but I had such bad side effects that Dr. Motan chose to forgo any more Clomid cycles and jump right to injections. So I go CD3 for baseline ultrasound and blood work (that was March 16 and I was there from 8 a.m. until about 10:15 a.m. so I would have been there the same time as you). From CD3 I do nightly injections of Puregon and go back within 4 to 5 days for monitoring ultrasound and blood work. Last cycle Dr. Cumming's was the one who performed my "final" ultrasound before I had a trigger shot with HCG to induce ovulation and then 36 hours later IUI was performed, and thankfully by Dr. Cumming as well since I found he had the best bedside manner of the few doctors I had seen for the ultrasounds. Dr. Sagle said I could have done IUI this go around and I had 6 tentative IUI's booked but cancelled them all as I wasn't able to definitively catch the surge and I didn't want to pay $250 if I was uncertain.

Have you heard anything back definitively regarding your test?

I started getting spotting and cramping today so that confirms that it was most likely a chemical pregnancy. This is the first time I've gotten a positive at all or even the hint that I was pregnant. And it took 2 1/2 years for that to happen. I just really hope it doesn't take that long again.  

Injections will probably be my next plan. How much do they cost you? Do you know if insurance companies pay for a portion like other prescriptions?

I really like Dr. Cumming. He did my first IUI and it was quick and hardly hurt (I'm really sensitive, even for Paps). But then the next 2 were done by nurses and this last one was the most painful think I have ever experienced. The nurse was being trained by another nurse and she kept repositioning the speculum and couldn't get the catheter in properly. It took like 15 minutes.

What's your Dx? Do you ovulate on your own?

Started TTC Aug '09
    Break cycle=BFN

A CACKLE A DAY

• Ugh, so sorry to hear..We've been going on 3 years in May with never a positive so I'm not sure if I got one but it ended in miscarriage if I would be happy just in the sense knowing that it can happen. Is it kinda like that with you? Do you feel more hopeful this way or not really?

Okay, so I have Blue Cross coverage. I'm looking at the receipt right here. The Puregon injections for two cartridges (I used the starting dose of 50 IU from CD3 to CD11) The total cost was $635,43 and Blue Cross paid $599.76 and I paid $35.67. Then, on CD12 I had another ultrasound and I had one 12 mm follicle in left ovary, and two in right ovary, 19 mm and 15 mm. Dr. Cumming said the 19 mm would be "the one". I "triggered that evening at 11 p.m. (has to be done between 10 and midnight as IUI is scheduled 36 hours later). The HCG trigger shot was $84.83, plan paid $67.94 and I paid $16.99. Of course you know the actual IUI is $250.00.

My very first baseline ultrasound was performed by Dr. Tataryn who I really didn't care for. For it being my first cycle and not knowing what to expect she wasn't very compassionate like someone I would expect would be for working with women already going through the hardest thing in their lives. She did my baseline, my followup ultrasound, and then I had my final ultrasound before IUI with Dr. Cumming and right from the get-go he put me at ease and so I was very thankful that he was the one who did our IUI (I actually wish a doctor performed all of the IUIs as I had a nurse who was in training learning on how to do the IUI so she watched very intently). He said I was a more difficult case as he had to maneuver the speculum in there to find my cervical opening because my uterus is retroverted and my cervical os is more tucked up top. Dr. Sagle did my second baseline ultrasound and she was AMAZING..she actually asked me if I knew what to expect with the ultrasound (as the insert that dildo-like wand into your vagina), so I was very appreciative that she was taking the time to explain to me if I didn't know. Then of course after being ready to move on with second IUI cycle after being devastated by our first failed on and her then telling me we had to cancel the induction cycle with the injections because of overstimulation from last cycle with development of a cyst, she just said very compassionately that it wasn't bad news and that we could still do IUI but with OPKs and my "own cycle". Well, they don't let you use digital and I wasn't 100% positive in trying to figure it out so I'm just waiting until AF shows and we can see if the cyst is gone and move on to second induction cycle.

Our diagnosis is unexplained, idiopathic. I'm 26 and hubby is 27. I do ovulate on my own, however, I ovulate later in the cycle, around day 18/19 with only a 10 to 11 day luteal phase. I also always used to spot for a day or so before my period so with such a short luteal phase, gynecologist figured I had a luteal phase defect even though progesterone was showing to be normal.

My SIL performs acupuncture and suggested I try that out before all these meds and I did for a year now. The very first session I had treatment on CD10, I ovulated CD14 and had a 14-day luteal phase for 28-day "perfect" cycle with no spotting. For the next 5 months I had same sessions, either on day 8 to 10 of my cycle with ovulation at day 14 and 14 day luteal phase. Hubby got laid off and since we pay out of pocket for acu, I took a break, stopped BBT charting and then just "stopped trying" for 6 months. I started charting again and realized I was reverting back to late ovulation so I started going to acupuncture again. He doesn't like that my follicular phase is so long and that it takes so long for my egg to ripen so to speak and that the luteal phase is so short in comparison and that the two should be more balanced in number. So I was on herbs for a month, they were discontinued, and we are waiting for a new product to be distributed from China, was supposed to happen in March. I don't like how my only option is the injections when there is nothing medically explaining why we can't get pregnant, although I'm really bit into all these naturopathic treatments like acupuncture and herbs.

• imageMich1724:

Ugh, so sorry to hear..We've been going on 3 years in May with never a positive so I'm not sure if I got one but it ended in miscarriage if I would be happy just in the sense knowing that it can happen. Is it kinda like that with you? Do you feel more hopeful this way or not really?

Okay, so I have Blue Cross coverage. I'm looking at the receipt right here. The Puregon injections for two cartridges (I used the starting dose of 50 IU from CD3 to CD11) The total cost was $635,43 and Blue Cross paid $599.76 and I paid $35.67. Then, on CD12 I had another ultrasound and I had one 12 mm follicle in left ovary, and two in right ovary, 19 mm and 15 mm. Dr. Cumming said the 19 mm would be "the one". I "triggered that evening at 11 p.m. (has to be done between 10 and midnight as IUI is scheduled 36 hours later). The HCG trigger shot was $84.83, plan paid $67.94 and I paid $16.99. Of course you know the actual IUI is $250.00.

My very first baseline ultrasound was performed by Dr. Tataryn who I really didn't care for. For it being my first cycle and not knowing what to expect she wasn't very compassionate like someone I would expect would be for working with women already going through the hardest thing in their lives. She did my baseline, my followup ultrasound, and then I had my final ultrasound before IUI with Dr. Cumming and right from the get-go he put me at ease and so I was very thankful that he was the one who did our IUI (I actually wish a doctor performed all of the IUIs as I had a nurse who was in training learning on how to do the IUI so she watched very intently). He said I was a more difficult case as he had to maneuver the speculum in there to find my cervical opening because my uterus is retroverted and my cervical os is more tucked up top. Dr. Sagle did my second baseline ultrasound and she was AMAZING..she actually asked me if I knew what to expect with the ultrasound (as the insert that dildo-like wand into your vagina), so I was very appreciative that she was taking the time to explain to me if I didn't know. Then of course after being ready to move on with second IUI cycle after being devastated by our first failed on and her then telling me we had to cancel the induction cycle with the injections because of overstimulation from last cycle with development of a cyst, she just said very compassionately that it wasn't bad news and that we could still do IUI but with OPKs and my "own cycle". Well, they don't let you use digital and I wasn't 100% positive in trying to figure it out so I'm just waiting until AF shows and we can see if the cyst is gone and move on to second induction cycle.

Our diagnosis is unexplained, idiopathic. I'm 26 and hubby is 27. I do ovulate on my own, however, I ovulate later in the cycle, around day 18/19 with only a 10 to 11 day luteal phase. I also always used to spot for a day or so before my period so with such a short luteal phase, gynecologist figured I had a luteal phase defect even though progesterone was showing to be normal.

My SIL performs acupuncture and suggested I try that out before all these meds and I did for a year now. The very first session I had treatment on CD10, I ovulated CD14 and had a 14-day luteal phase for 28-day "perfect" cycle with no spotting. For the next 5 months I had same sessions, either on day 8 to 10 of my cycle with ovulation at day 14 and 14 day luteal phase. Hubby got laid off and since we pay out of pocket for acu, I took a break, stopped BBT charting and then just "stopped trying" for 6 months. I started charting again and realized I was reverting back to late ovulation so I started going to acupuncture again. He doesn't like that my follicular phase is so long and that it takes so long for my egg to ripen so to speak and that the luteal phase is so short in comparison and that the two should be more balanced in number. So I was on herbs for a month, they were discontinued, and we are waiting for a new product to be distributed from China, was supposed to happen in March. I don't like how my only option is the injections when there is nothing medically explaining why we can't get pregnant, although I'm really bit into all these naturopathic treatments like acupuncture and herbs.

Yeah it makes me feel hopeful, knowing that it CAN happen. But at the same time, I had the positive, I had the thought I was finally pregnant, and then that was pulled out from under me. Not a good feeling.

Oh so your insurance covered part of the meds???? Awesome!!!! That makes me feel so much better. I'm sure between DH's coverage and mine, we can get something reimbursed. I was so worried about having to be paying so much per month.

Yeah I wish the docs did all the IUIs too. Do you know, by chance, how many IUIs they will allow you to do? Because I've already done 3 on Clomid, so now I'm wondering where I go from here. I don't know why I'm asking you this seeing as I'm going to see Dr. Cumming tomorrow. LOL. Oh and by the way, non-digital OPKs are really easy to use.

Don't you hate having unexplained infertility??? Then you can't have a proper treatment plan because you don't know what you're treating. See, for me, I usually ovulate around day 14 or 15 and my luteal phase is usually 11 or 12 days. But I have the same thing, where I have spotting 1 or 2 days before getting AF. I've always had good progesterone too but I wonder if that's the problem. I will ask Dr. Cumming tomorrow.

I've been thinking about acupuncture for the last year or so but it's expensive and was worried about finding a good place to do it. What part of the city does your SIL work? How much is it per session? I actually believe that holistic/naturopathic medicine works. What kind of herbs were you taking?

Started TTC Aug '09
    Break cycle=BFN

A CACKLE A DAY

• imagecacklemonsta:
    imageMich1724:

Ugh, so sorry to hear..We've been going on 3 years in May with never a positive so I'm not sure if I got one but it ended in miscarriage if I would be happy just in the sense knowing that it can happen. Is it kinda like that with you? Do you feel more hopeful this way or not really?

Yeah it makes me feel hopeful, knowing that it CAN happen. But at the same time, I had the positive, I had the thought I was finally pregnant, and then that was pulled out from under me. Not a good feeling.

Oh so your insurance covered part of the meds???? Awesome!!!! That makes me feel so much better. I'm sure between DH's coverage and mine, we can get something reimbursed. I was so worried about having to be paying so much per month.

Yeah I wish the docs did all the IUIs too. Do you know, by chance, how many IUIs they will allow you to do? Because I've already done 3 on Clomid, so now I'm wondering where I go from here. I don't know why I'm asking you this seeing as I'm going to see Dr. Cumming tomorrow. LOL. Oh and by the way, non-digital OPKs are really easy to use.

Don't you hate having unexplained infertility??? Then you can't have a proper treatment plan because you don't know what you're treating. See, for me, I usually ovulate around day 14 or 15 and my luteal phase is usually 11 or 12 days. But I have the same thing, where I have spotting 1 or 2 days before getting AF. I've always had good progesterone too but I wonder if that's the problem. I will ask Dr. Cumming tomorrow.

I've been thinking about acupuncture for the last year or so but it's expensive and was worried about finding a good place to do it. What part of the city does your SIL work? How much is it per session? I actually believe that holistic/naturopathic medicine works. What kind of herbs were you taking?

I can't even imagine how that would feel. At this point, I can't even fathom actually getting pregnant since it's been so long of trying.

Yeppers, I get 80% coverage and then can send the rest through hubby's plan as well. Before I knew they were covered I was just so apprehensive of needing the first IUI cycle to work so we don't go broke with each one. I wish the actual IUI was covered too but at least the meds are when they are the most expensive part.

Dr. Motan had told me we would do 3 IUI cycles and that if not pregnant after three that he would like to do a laparoscopy to see if I have endometriosis. he told me he doesn't think I have it and that the IUI would bypass any even if I did but that he would like to try to FIND something. He got that from the fact that I've had pain during intercourse sometimes which I told him was caused when I'm not fully aroused. Anyways, he said we have a 20% chance with IUIs and 25% chance of twins because of the meds. At least the 20% puts us back in the range with normal healthy couples because we were given the number of 1% of ever conceiving naturally just because it has been 3 years and nothing has ever happened.

Did you have any side effects with Clomid? My left ovary felt like it was going to burst and like it was hitting my pelvis every time I walked or tried to sit on the couch. That and I felt like I was burning from the inside on fire. I had zero symptoms thankfully with the Puregon injections. I also like that you are being monitored by blood work and ultrasound and that you can actually see what's happening with the meds in regards to your follicles growing and see your lining. It made me feel better knowing that I was responding well to the drugs as with Clomid and not being monitored I had no idea what was going on with me.

It is very expensive that's for sure. My hubby can write off $35 of each session and then the remainder I put through my Health Spending Account at work. It is $70 where I go but I live in Leduc so I go to a holistic place here. My SIL actually works and lives in Calgary. My coworker and her SIL who has been to fertility clinic and has endometriosis have been going to Solis Wellness on the southside of Edmonton and see Lance Smith. I was thinking of going as well just because my acupuncturist is only available Monday and Thursdays and sometimes I need to be seen at different times just due to the days of my cycle.

I believe that both western and eastern medicine have there place. My acupuncturist is very against western medicine and hates how fertility treatments is just a big cash cow and that when you finally get to the point of IVF is when it is recommended to you that acupuncture can be beneficial when paired up with IVF, although he says that acupuncture can be 80% effective on its own. Right away, after my assessment he determined me to have kidney yin deficiency and blood qi deficiency. I was on kidney yin deficiency herbs for a few days (5 pills 3 times a day) but the brand was discontinued and so he is waiting for new herbs to be sent from China..they were supposed to arrive in March but haven't yet. I also have been told to have a "cold uterus" and that I don't breath properly and am perhaps holding in all my energy in my chest. I wish I could go more too so it's too bad that those services aren't covered by healthcare. I've used naturopathic medicine more in the last two years then any doctor that's for sure. I don't like pill pushers and I've been so reluctant to do fertility injections but feel it's our only choice, although I hate putting excess of anything into my body.

How did your appt with Dr. Cumming go?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"