Trouble TTC
Options

IVF and metformin questions

Ok, so last Monday I saw the RE and she recommended we move forward with IVF after 5 IUI's (1 c/p and 4 bfns).  CD1 was 2 days later so I started on BCPs to keep me at baseline.  Today they had their "IVF meeting" where all of the doctors sit and decide the protocols together.  I got a phone call to stop the pill and I will be coming in on 4/18 for blood work and to start Estrace.  She will call me tomorrow morning to let me know our full protocol and when our consent form signing will be. They already filed all of the paperwork with our insurance company since we are very fortunate to have full coverage.

Does anyone have any experience with estrace?  What should I expect?

She also wanted to start me on metformin because I appear to have mild insulin resistance that my primary care dr. said is under good control with my diet and exercise but the RE thinks it will help me get/stay pregnant.  I am starting on 500mg at night for a few days and then easing into 500mg 3x per day. 

Any tips for a new metformin user?  She warned me that carbs will not be my friend, but I already eat pretty low carb anyway.

Married 8/2009, TTC since 4/2010
ME: 30, DOR- Low amh, normal fsh/afc DH: 30, morphology issue
IVF #1- BFN
IVF #2- BFP!!! Beautiful baby girl became an angel on 2/6/13 at 17.5 weeks due to PPROM/IC
IVF #3- New RE... February March 2014! 8r/6m/6f. Transferred one and have one frostie! BFP! EDD 12/7/14
**PAIF/SAIF welcome

Re: IVF and metformin questions

• Options

Hi! I have taken estrace before and don't have anything notable to say about it. I didn't have any side effects. I am also on met and follow a very low carb and low sugar diet. I only started it in Jan and worked my way up to 2000mgs a day. I def recommend low carb and avoid anything greasy or oily or fried. Ice cheated once or twice and certain things are not worth it lol.

I am hoping the met will help me get abs stay pregnant this time. Good luck to you!!! And you can do this and we are here for you.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageJezebell26:

Hi! I have taken estrace before and don't have anything notable to say about it. I didn't have any side effects. I am also on met and follow a very low carb and low sugar diet. I only started it in Jan and worked my way up to 2000mgs a day. I def recommend low carb and avoid anything greasy or oily or fried. Ice cheated once or twice and certain things are not worth it lol.

I am hoping the met will help me get abs stay pregnant this time. Good luck to you!!! And you can do this and we are here for you.  

Hi! Thanks! I really hope the met helps you out and this is it for you!
    IVF #1- BFN
    IVF #2- BFP!!! Beautiful baby girl became an angel on 2/6/13 at 17.5 weeks due to PPROM/IC
    IVF #3- New RE... February March 2014! 8r/6m/6f. Transferred one and have one frostie! BFP! EDD 12/7/14
    **PAIF/SAIF welcome

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Estrace is a little blue pill you stick up your vag.  So I call it Smurf Cootch pills.  Like Jezabell, I don't remember any s/e from it.  But it's for thickening up your lining so I like them :)

As for Metformin, the first few weeks are the worst.  Buy some immodium so that you are not crapping all day at work (I suffered through this until thought of this, really wish someone had told me before starting it).  I don't have problems with carbs (and I love pasta), what I seem to have a problem with is greasy foods - like McDonalds or friend chicken.  So I didn't eat anything like that for a while during the adjustment time for my body.  Other girls noticed problems with salads - but again, I never noticed that motivated me.  I think it depends a bit on the person.

Good luck with the IVF!! 

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• Options
    I've taken esterase twice. The first time it was intravaginally, as PP described. (its turns things blue. Wear pantyliners). Currently, I'm taking Estrace orally. I don't know why, I didn't ask. Before I was doing IUI, now I take esterase after IVF. I don't have any side effects, but sometimes when I take it at night, if I haven't eaten in a while I notice my stomach feels just the slightest bit uncomfortable. A little orange juice or water though, and I'm fine. GL to you!
    4/13/12--1st u/s. IDENTICAL TRIPLETS (?!?) PAIF and SAIF welcome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You did what with estrace?? LOL I only took them orally. Holy crap was I supposed to do them the other way??? LOL I am seriously laughing and Im sorry but now im confused. I had NO idea it could be taken any other way. So i guess my experience was a little different!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageJezebell26:
    You did what with estrace?? LOL I only took them orally. Holy crap was I supposed to do them the other way??? LOL I am seriously laughing and Im sorry but now im confused. I had NO idea it could be taken any other way. So i guess my experience was a little different!

I didn't know they could be taken orally!  LOL - ya learn something new every day.  But yes, I put them up in there.  And when they do the IUI they joke that they can tell I've been a "good girl" and taking my pills since all my CM turns blue - thus the smurf nickname.  ;P 

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm cracking up and now wondering which way I will be taking Estrace!
    IVF #1- BFN
    **PAIF/SAIF welcome

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"