Trouble TTC
Options

IUTPI---The new groundbreaking IUI technique? (Long)

The past few days this has been all over the news and internet being called "The New Ground-breaking IUI Technique--that will change the infertility world forever" so I thought I'd give some information and see what you guys think of this so called miracle.

It is suppose to help people who have unexplained infertility or low sperm counts achieve up to 35% chance per cycle even after 2 years of trying--almost as high as IVF for some couples.  The procedure itself is almost identical to a typical IUI and will likely cost just a few dollars more instead of thousands, and offer a 65% success rate for a combined 3 cycles.

After the sperm is washed, 10mL of saline is added to the sample.  The average uterus can only hold around 7-8mL of fluid.  The sample is loaded into a syringe with a catheter, just like a regular IUI.  Here is what is completely different: a special double nut speculum is used which can actually clamp down and close the cervix off completely to prevent leakage.  Once the catheter is inserted the speculum gets clamped down.  Once the cervix is sealed off, the 10mL of fluid is emptied out into your uterus.  Since there is so much fluid it overfills the uterus sending the sperm pouring into your fallopian tubes and into the Pouch of Douglas.  The Pouch of Douglas is the open area where the tube meets the ovaries. 

The process makes sure the sperm do not have to swim at all.  It is done right before ovulation so the sperm are waiting in the Pouch of Douglas for the egg to drop and grab it.  This makes it so practically all the sperm survive and making it very possible for someone with only a million sperm after wash to become pregnant.  Even sperm with poor morphology that hinders their swimming capability will now be able to be fertilized.  

After 15 minutes, the clamp is removed, once it is assumed that all sperm are waiting in the pouches.  Since the environment is very conducive to sperm, they will be able to live up to 16 hours, instead of the usual 8-10 because of extreme exhaustion.  It also makes it easier to penetrate eggs that have a thicker barrier since once again they will have much more energy because they virtually do not have to swim at all!

Apparently it's suppose to soon take over IUI and IVF and be the low cost alternative to most fertility treatments.  It is assumed that because the technique has been shown to have dramatic improvement over typical IUI's the need to hyperstimulate will be reduced dramatically.

So what do you think?  Has your RE spoken to you about this yet?  Have you had it done?

-adorUHbuL

Re: IUTPI---The new groundbreaking IUI technique? (Long)

• Options
    I haven't asked my RE about it yet, but I did see a you tube video on this last weekend. I'm interest to hear what others have to say!

image      image    

IVF #1 September 2012, beta #1: 213; beta #2: 580. Expecting Twins! 
    EDD 6/9 lost one angel at 9w3d :( 
    Baby boy arrived 6/1/13
    FET #1 10/14, BFP -Chemical Pregnancy :(
    Everyone Welcome

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I just did a very cursory Google search. I found that the first papers were written on this in 2006. Most of the items that I found were from 2009-2010, including a ton of message board posts asking about it. So 2009-2010 must be when word started to spread about the technique. It seems to me like if this technique were really that great, that RE's would have adopted it by now. I live near one of the more groundbreaking fertility centers in the country, and they have nothing about it in their literature or on their website.

I'm cautious about it. That amount of fluid in the fallopian tubes, I would think, would cause severe cramping. Could it even cause damage?

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagekellyrn9956:

I just did a very cursory Google search. I found that the first papers were written on this in 2006. Most of the items that I found were from 2009-2010, including a ton of message board posts asking about it. So 2009-2010 must be when word started to spread about the technique. It seems to me like if this technique were really that great, that RE's would have adopted it by now. I live near one of the more groundbreaking fertility centers in the country, and they have nothing about it in their literature or on their website.

I'm cautious about it. That amount of fluid in the fallopian tubes, I would think, would cause severe cramping. Could it even cause damage?

It is the exact same amount of fluid as used for the HSG, so it would be equivalent and according to the NIH website study, it did not cause any severe side effects.   Something new must have just happened because it randomly was on the news this weekend.  I wonder if it just hit America.

-adorUHbuL

• Options

This sounds interesting.

I really like the idea of not having to over-stim. I can't imagine going through a cycle, and having to cancel at the last moment due to having too many! This would be wonderful, and it might even cut some of the fertility drug cost!

2/12: 100 mg Clomid + Bravelle last minute+ back to back IUI. BFN
    3/12 150mg Clomid + B2B IUI =BFP!! TWINS!
    Vanishing twin at week 6
    Tater-tot born January 3rd 2013

2 IUI's in 2016- BFN
    3 IUI's in 2017- BFN
    8/17 IUI BFP!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    imageadoruhbul:
    imagekellyrn9956:

It is the exact same amount of fluid as used for the HSG, so it would be equivalent and according to the NIH website study, it did not cause any severe side effects.   Something new must have just happened because it randomly was on the news this weekend.  I wonder if it just hit America.

Perhaps it did just hit the states!. That sounds exciting.

I guess it would cause cramping then, since the HSG feels like a nightmare for some. But I'd take cramping for those increased success rates!

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • Options
    imagekellyrn9956:
    imageadoruhbul:
    imagekellyrn9956:

Perhaps it did just hit the states!. That sounds exciting.

I guess it would cause cramping then, since the HSG feels like a nightmare for some. But I'd take cramping for those increased success rates!

I wonder if the consistency of the fluid would make a difference?  I'd imagine that the dye was much thicker/heavier than saline?  Or am I totally making stuff up?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hmmm I've never heard of this, but it has be curious! It sounds like it could really be effective! If nothing else, it's just nice to know someone out there is looking into new IF treatments and trying out new technology, that makes me hopeful!
  • Options

Did anyone else kind of cringe when you read the words "clamp down the cervix"? haha!  sounds painful!  Smile

Ador--- that's awesome info! I had not heard about that yet!  I'm going to ask my RE about it!

• Options
    imageSuz+Mo:

Did anyone else kind of cringe when you read the words "clamp down the cervix"? haha!  sounds painful!  Smile

YES 

• Options
    imageSuz+Mo:

Ador--- that's awesome info! I had not heard about that yet!  I'm going to ask my RE about it!

Yes! Also, I must be a five-year-old because "double nut" made me giggle.

• Options
    imagemelgeorge7189:
    imageSuz+Mo:

Watch the video on YouTube. The graphic made me hurt.  Ouch!!! 

image      image    

IVF #1 September 2012, beta #1: 213; beta #2: 580. Expecting Twins! 
    EDD 6/9 lost one angel at 9w3d :( 
    Baby boy arrived 6/1/13
    FET #1 10/14, BFP -Chemical Pregnancy :(
    Everyone Welcome

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagemelgeorge7189:
    imageSuz+Mo:

Yes and Yes. 

Double Nut and Clamp in the same procedure.... I'd be laughing too hard for it to work :)

Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would really love to hear follow up from anyone who asks there RE about it, I would ask mine but I can't stand him right now.
  • Options
    My honest first thoughts: that sounds really effing painful
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Options

imagebrookelynpaisley:
    My honest first thoughts: that sounds really effing painful

This. My HSG hurt hardcore, and clamping on my cervix? Uh.. ow. 

I'm really interested in this procedure, but I don't know where can I get it done for me and my husband!!!

Any idea about clinics in Los Angeles that provide it??!! plz help!

• Options

I said to myself, "wasn't there a post exactly like this a while back?" 

And then I realized...yes, this IS that post.

Beware the zombie post. 

4 IUIs: Bfn
    Antagonist IVF 7 retrieved, 4 fert w/ICSI&AH, 2 blasts transferred. Beta #1 9/20: 367 Beta #2 9/22: 841
    image image
  • Options
    Just did this last week.  It was quick and painless.  I will see if I get pregnant next week. Keep in your prayers.
  • Options
    Keep us updated @Tati3663...
    BabyFetus Ticker

Me-39, HSG 2/13- clear. DS-IUI #1-3/13,300iu Menopur 12 days,3 days Cetrotide, Ovidrel Trigger-BFN. IUI #2 06/13, BFP EDD: 02/22/14 m/c (cp), IUI #3- BFP EDD: 5/17/14 m/c 09/13. Blood work/RPL panel- nk cell/MTHFR mutation- negative. Blood work all good. Unexplained reason for m/c. IUI #4 BFP m/c (cp) 10/13. IUI #5- 12/13 Cancelled. No response. (1)follicle. IUI #5.1- 2/14. IVF Bound

********************SAIF/ PAIF/ ALL ARE WELCOME***********************
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"