January 2011 Moms
Options

PSA: Sunscreen vs Sunblock

I came across this post last spring and wanted to repost it for all of you. You would be amazed at how many "baby safe" sunscreens/blocks are out there that contain the chemicals this poster says are never safe at any age.

I used the Neutragena pure and free last summer and never had burn issues with Aiden or Emily. Plus they are both highly sensitive (rashes and hives) to a lot of baby sunscreens we used prior and this stuff never caused any of that.

Just wanted to share since a lot of us are already enjoying lots of sunny weather :)

Also I believe they say sunblock is only good for a year, so you should toss the leftovers you have from last summer.

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/1/52682442/ShowThread.aspx?MsdVisit=1

Here's the text if you don't feel like checking out the link: 

PSA: Sunscreen It seems everyday someone asks about sunscreen. So I thought I would give my 2 cents since well skin is my profession. I am a dermatology Nurse Practitioner and have been practicing dermatology for 12 years thus I see children and adults everyday in regards to skin, skin cancer etc and this includes being in the know in regards to the safety of sunscreen.

First let me start by saying there is a big difference between Sunscreen and Sunblock Suncreen is 100% NOT safe for infants under 6 months old. Honestly I would never put sunscreen on my child at any age Period.

Sunscreen is a chemical blocker that use simply gets absorbed into the top of the skin in a chemical thus reflecting the suns rays and not allowing them to penetrate. These chemicals however are not safe for infants. Sunblock is a Physical sunblocker which is 100% safe from the day your child is born up to the very elderly.

Sunblock is a product that literally creates a shield on the top of your skin and get absorbed and will block out the harmful rays. Many companies Mislabel their products calling themselves sunscreen and sunblock interchangebly.

You need to look for the active ingredient. Avobenzont; Homosalate; Octisalate, Octocrylene and Oxybenzone, : ARE CHEMICAL BLOCKERS aka Sunscreen. NEVER use this on your child this is what pediatricians do not want you to use on your children.

Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide as the active ingredients is a PHYSICAL BLOCKER and this is absolutely safe for your child at birth. As noted with the American Academy of Dermatology. THe active ingredients are actually pretty much the same as diaper rash paste.

The key is putting it on 30 minutes before going outside. Physical blockers need time to get absorbed into the top layers of the skin. ALso you must reapply every 2 hours of continuous sun exposure. Long sleeve shirts, wide brim hats and sunglasses are also recommended. They sell bathing suit coverups and bathing suits with a UV protection.

Recommended Sunblocks by the AAD are as Follows:

Neutrogena Sensitive Skin

Neutrogena Pure and Free

Blue Lizard California Baby

That is pretty much it and its a short list. Most of the issue with sunscreen and babies origionally came from PABA however that is rarely if ever used. The use of chemical sunscreens nowadays can cause your child to develop a contact allergy.

ETA: I am currently a SAHM for the next year or two so I actually have not worked in derm since my daughter was born.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PSA: Sunscreen vs Sunblock

• Options
    Sorry this is so long, but I think it's excellent advice/tips for everyone!
  • Options

Thanks for sharing that. I have not seen that info before.  Summer is coming quickly.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! I was looking for that post not too long ago. I thought I saved it, but I guess I did not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing.  Great info.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"