High-Risk Pregnancy

Lovenox ladies...

This is a question about an induction senerio. Have any of your doctors decided to put you on a Heparin i.v. the night before you deliver and up until you are ready to push? I guess I'll be laboring while on Heparin and then at the last moment, be taken off of it. This may lead me to not be able to get an epidural. I have no clotting disorders that they've found but have quite a history of blood clots. Is this normal?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image

Re: Lovenox ladies...

• I have never heard of this. Did your ob come up with this on his/her own or did you consult with an MFM? If you havent, perhaps seeing one would be a good idea. 
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Yep, it's my MFM's plan. It's supposed to be a really good hospital. They're terrified of taking me off of blood thinners apparently. After I deliver I'll be on Coumadin the rest of my life more than likely. My 'blood clot doctor' (or so I like to call him) and his team can't find an underlying condition causing all my clots.
  • Loading the player...
  • That is very, very odd. Well, if you have experts behind this plan then great. But unless they turn off your heparin for 6-12 hours or you have a very bold anesthesiologist, you can kiss your epidural goodbye. Too much risk of an epidural hematoma, which can cause paralysis. 
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Yeah, they told me be prepared for a natural birth because the CRNA wouldn't be comfortable with doing the epi. The whole thing is just crazy. I've been tested for the major clotting disorders more than once and they are always negative. I went on birth control a couple years back and had formed DVT and clots in my lungs from the DVT. They found an issue with my anatomy where the DVT was formed but corrected it with a stent. 2 years later I get pregnant and a clot about 2 ft long forms in my iliac vein on the opposite side of the stent. My body is so messed up...
  • I was concerned about heparin and the ability to get the epidural.  My understanding (that my hematologist explained to me) many countries other than the US administer epidurals while patients are still on haparin IV.  He seemed actually pretty irritated at the way the US does it.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• kgauntt - YGPM

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"