Breastfeeding
Options

BF on one side...

This may all sound dumb, but i'm a first time mom and feeling overwhelmed!

Anyone else solely breastfeed off one breast? i have been doing this since about day 3 bc my left nip cracked, scabbed, and bled (tmi, yes)...ow..and it still is trying to heal. I use the lanolin (sp?) daily to help promote healing.

I occassionally pump off the left side 1x daily and i feed my 1.5 week old son off my right breast. I just started to supplement with enfamil newborn about 2x a day. He is doing well with this arrangement, (and especially me with my sanity)!

Will my milk supply dry up on its own on the left side if i altogether stop pumping? And will i have misshapen boobs if i continue my routine of one-sided feeding?  

Thanks!

Re: BF on one side...

• Options
    Yeah, not a great idea. You should pump that side every time you feed. The pimp will let the nipple heal more than nursing will. You could also use a nipple shield. Your supply on that side will get screwed up and it will be very hard to get it back. Good luck. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    With both my kids I have ended up nursing almost exclusively on one side. The other has a slower letdown and no matter what I do doesn't produce as much. It will eventually dry up, and probably won't effect the other side, but yes, you will look lopsided. I'd suggest sticking to pumping/nursing both sides as much as you can- good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really only fed DD1 from the left side from around 18mo until she weaned at 24mo.  Your body is an amazing thing and if it works for you it's fine- note many people EBF twins so the equivalent of 1 breast per babe.  If, on the other hand, you are unhappy with the arrangement you can increase your supply on the side you are nursing from with all the regular recommendations (more nursing, pump after nursing) and could even put LO to the previously cracked side and now that you have nursing down that nipple will likely fair better.  Oh, about the shape thing, if you wean from one side it will likely be significantly different that the lactating breast in terms of size until your lactting breast starts to get back to it's baseline size.
    5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"