November 2011 Moms
Options

I called 911 this afternoon

This is so embarrassing, I can't believe I'm even sharing this.  So this afternoon DH took DD out for a while and I was home cleaning.  We live in a really nice, safe area but we're on the edge of our neighborhood on a fairly busy street. 

I see a white van go by our house, driving really slowly, and then backed up and parked in front.  I saw some guy get out of this van and then he started walking up towards my driveway.  I had the front door open so I shut that, and then I went to check the side door to make sure it was closed too.  I go to our front window, and this guy is in front of my garage, and then I went to grab my phone and he was gone!  But his van was still there!!  Of course I totally freaked out because I was home alone, so I called 911 to see if they would send a patrol car by the house. 

So this is where it gets embarrassing.  I was on the phone giving my description and address when DH pulls in the driveway.  Then he starts talking to the guy, so I told dispatch to forget about it b/c DH was home and everything appears to be ok.  Just as I hung up, he came in and said that our contractor was on his way with the painter to look at our house.  We need the side of our house painted and this guy was there to give us an estimate.  Oy.  I suppose calling 911 was a little overkill! 

I told DH later that I had called the police, and even though he told me it was the right thing, I could tell that he was thinking... seriously??!!  I made him swear he'd never tell anyone I did that.  I'm not usually overdramatic like that but it really freaked me out!!  I suppose no real point to this post, hopefully it was mildly entertaining on a Saturday night.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: I called 911 this afternoon

• Options

oh my gosh! At least your DH came home in time for you to tell them not to come, lol

This will be a funny story to share when LO is older - you're just being a Momma Bear!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Well, I have to agree that it was the right thing to do. I honestly can't say that my actions would have been different if it happened to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry.  This made me LOL.  I am glad it was nothing serious though.  I would have totally done the same thing.  You did the right thing and put your mind at ease. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Eh... better safe than sorry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    You totally did the right thing!
  • Options
    I'm just surprised the police were so willing to send a car! My FMIL called the police one time when her kids were young because a guy was going in and out of people in the neighborhood's backyards and she had to argue with them to get them to send someone and then they took over an hour to get here and then once they were here the police was telling her how she was wasting police resources. It ended up when they finally caught the guy that he had outstanding warrants!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    LOL this reminds me of when I used to work for 911... these calls come in ALOT and the majority of the time it is just someone at the wrong house. I certainly would keep the door locked. What I recommend most of the time is, if you feel comfortable, if they come to the front door simply ask who it is (with the door closed) and if you don't know them then say ur not interested and have a nice day. If they refuse to leave, with phone in hand, go ahead and tell them ur calling the cops for them trespassing. 99% of persistent sales people would leave by this point. Or, if they are simply parked in your driveway without permission, have your neighborhood tow company phone number on hand and call them to tow it off of private property. However.... don't be afraid to dial your local NON-EMERGENCY police line if you don't feel comfortable with the situation.
  • Options

imageauthorofdreamz:
    I'm just surprised the police were so willing to send a car! My FMIL called the police one time when her kids were young because a guy was going in and out of people in the neighborhood's backyards and she had to argue with them to get them to send someone and then they took over an hour to get here and then once they were here the police was telling her how she was wasting police resources. It ended up when they finally caught the guy that he had outstanding warrants!

From someone who worked for 911... sounds like your police department may have very limited resources, or they may have been quite busy at the time. I don't blame you for being upset; I certainly would have been if I hadn't been exposed to what goes on behind the scenes in dispatch. If it is a recurring issue, I would be sure to contact the police supervisor at your local district station. Or, call the station and request an increase in patrol in your neighborhood to prevent the problem before it happens again

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"