1st Trimester
Options

heart-shaped uterus

Last weekend, I went to the ER with red bleeding, which ended up being from a small subchorionic hemorrhage. During the ultrasound, it was found that I have a possible bicornuate uterus (severely heart-shaped uterus..like the division goes almost all the way to the cervix). The u/s tech acted like it was no big deal and that everything would be fine, but of course I then came home and scared the crap out of myself searching it on google. 

I have an appointment with my OB on Monday and will discuss this then. But from what I read online, it looks like it is hard to determine exactly which type of anomaly I have while I'm pregnant. I also don't understand why this wasn't seen before by my OB, as I had two ultrasounds by my OB prior to the ER visit.

I know ladies with this can have a successful pregnancy with few complications, but it is very stressful to find this out while already pregnant and have no idea this type of thing even existed. 

Any other ladies have this or another type of uterine anomaly? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: heart-shaped uterus

• Options

i haven't experienced this, but maybe your OB didn't bring anything up because you AREN'T having complications? if there was something to cause you to worry, then i believe as a medical professional he/she would have said something.

not to worry mommy! i think that you'll be alright. the internet is a scary place and i would not recommend looking too much into it. it won[t do you any good to stress about it. more pregnancies are successful than not.

H&H9M <3

V|V TSP V|V
  • Options

Hi!
    I also have a heart shaped uterus. There are a few of us out here, so take a second to breathe! :) You're right- every case is different, so all I can do is share my experience, but I hope it helps put you at ease.

My first pregnancy I had a missed miscarriage (baby stopped growing at 7 weeks, we didn't know until 12 week u/s). They performed a D & C and I was sent home to rest. I spiked a high fever 2 days later and went back in for a check-up where they did another u/s. They discovered the first D & C didn't actually remove any tissue because they had only performed the procedure on one side of my heart shaped uterus. So in other words it was after several u/s and surgery that it was determined I have a heart shaped uterus. I was very angry that my OB didn't discover it earlier, but it was explained to me that it's hard to see with an u/s if they don't have the right angle, etc. So maybe your OB truly didn't see it before- it can happen. But I was told that I could very likely carry a full term pregnancy in the future and that my miscarriage may or may not have had anything to do with the shape of my uterus.

My second pregnancy I was FREAKING OUT that I would miscarry again. Because of the shape of my uterus and previous miscarriage I was labeled high risk so I received ultra sounds more frequently to monitor the growth of my baby. The ONLY 2 concerns I was warned about were: 1)They monitor the growth to be sure that baby has enough room to grow on the "side" that they are on and that your uterus is stretching/growing like it should. 2) I may feel more cramping as my uterus stretched just because of the shape. (which I did experience mild-moderate period like cramps for all 9 months. 3) I was told I had to have an MRI (after my pregnancy) to take a look at my kidneys because it's common with women with heart shaped uterus's to have only 1 kidney. Thankfully I have 2 and I successfully carried my DS to full term (was actually induced at 38 weeks and 6 days due to pre-eclampsia of all things!). He is happy and healthy and just turned 1 last month and we are now expecting our second baby due in December! :)

Though, I'm always nervous that I could miscarry again, I have to hope for the best because I know my heart shaped system worked once, I know it can do it again! It IS scary, but it IS possible to have children and normal pregnancies. I wish you the best. Maybe get a couple of opinions (that's what I did) if you're not confident that you're OB is knowledgable on the whole situation. Hope that helped!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have a severly bicornate uterus as well, the heart shape is very noticable on ultrasound. I have had two babies go full term, and two losses but they were not related to the bicornate. I had problems with preterm labor, and placente previa, and was watched very closely.

Take a few dep breaths and stay away from google. Talk to your doctor and figure out together what the game plan will be. Some woman go their whole lives not knowing they have this and have healthy pregnancies. Try not to freak out I know easier said then done. I was a basket case when I found out about mine as well. Hugs and good luck. PM me if you want to talk.

____________________________________________________________________________
                          My sweet Rylee girl 8-13-2007 and my sweet Emmett man 4-13-2010
                               Annaleigh Willow Elise born and passed at 26 weeks 1 day
                                      Thursday October 17th 2013 from trisomy 13
                                           Http://Alwaysannaleigh.WordPress.com

• Options
    My mom has a heart-shaped uterus and had 5 kids naturally with no drugs.  And it was tilted.  The only thing she mentioned about having this shape was after she gave birth the nurses had to work a little more on her to get out all the placenta.  Try not to worry too much (I know when you find out things that make you different from the majority of women it just makes you worry naturally!) and I'll ask my mom to see if she has any more input...
  • Options

Last year, my gyn freaked me the hell out telling me that I had a bicornuate uterus (this was the same day I found out about my PCOS). She told me that most people with a bicornuate uterus won't have much trouble getting or staying pregnant, but my have some bleeding episodes throughout the pregnancy.

That being said, I moved and started seeing an RE (reproductive endocrinologist if you didn't know) who performed a saline infusion ultrasound on me in September. Turns out, I have a uterine septum and not a bicornuate uterus. They look almost identical on a traditional ultrasound, according to my RE. For me, it's all about where the baby will implant. If the baby implants on the septum, I'll miscarry, likely before 12 weeks. This is because the septum has no blood flowing to it.

I completely understand that you're scared (I am too!). But try not to work yourself up over it. Plenty of people with a Mullerian anomaly (this is what they are called) proceed to have healthy happy babies. Here's a link I found helpful explaining the differences and it has some stories on it that should ease your mind a little. https://mulleriananomalies.blogspot.com/

When you see your OB, I would ask them what type of effect this could have on your baby. I plan to do the same at my first appt on Wednesday. Knowing this early is a good thing! they'll be able to monitor you and make sure both you and the baby stay healthy! 

dx PCOS, uterine septum 4.4.11 Miracle BFP 3.12.12, the day before our 2nd anniversary! EDD 11.22.12. BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"