3rd Trimester

Need some advice from a 3rd tri mama

I am getting married in August in which I will be about 35 weeks.

Right now I am 14 weeks, I am 5'6'' and 120 pounds. Boobs went up two cup sizes.

I have gained about 6 pounds so far.

I bought my wedding dress, but I am really concerned as to whether or not it will fit even with alterations.

When I went to the dress boutique, the size that was fitting me well was a size 8.

I found the dress I love in a size 12.

I put a pillow in my stomach to get a better idea of how it would fit, but I don't think a pillow can really do it justice.

The dress can be taken out 3 inches on each side, but I am worried that it won't be enough room for my huge belly.

The material is satin.

Do you think it will fit me on my wedding day? What should I do?

I should be around 135-145 by then. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need some advice from a 3rd tri mama

• What style is the dress?  For example, empire waist would be easier to work with a pregnant belly.  Talk to the person who does the alterations at the boutique... they should have the experience to tell you if it will work with the dress style/material... satin isn't a material that has a lot of stretch in it...but size 12 is a fair bit bigger than size 8... especially if it can be let out on each side. 

Everyone is different, but I am 5'6, started at 146 lbs and am now 171 lbs (25 lb gain, week 32)

Good luck with the wedding planning!  Sounds like you've got a lot of changes in your life this year!  Congratulations!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I believe its empire. The lady who fitted me seemed confident but I dont feel the same. I hope it works. Thank you sweetie you too
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly, I doubt there are many styles of wedding dress that would fit a 35 week pregnant woman. It'd have to be empire waisted and very flowy, is my guess. There's really no way to say how big you'll be at 35 weeks, or how much weight you'll have gained. 25 - 35 lbs is an average, but some women gain less and others gain more. Also, if your boobs have already gone up 2 cups, they could keep going up by 35 weeks. And there's not just boobs and belly to consider; by 35 weeks your hips could be spreading, you could have gained weight in your butt, and some women even experience widening or spreading of their ribcage, all of which will affect how a dress will fit. 

I know I'm not being very helpful, but it's just so impossible for anyone, even you, to predict how something will fit at that point. If it were me, I would wait until I was closer to my wedding date, and buy something off the rack. Or if you must buy something sooner, I'd buy it MUCH larger (more than 3 inches of give) and get it altered to fit.

Good luck and congrats on your wedding! 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mother is a seamstress and I grew up in her shoppe. It is a really hard one to call. It depends on the dress. Certain dresses (Davids Bridal dresses especially) do not give much to work with at the seams. You can easilly take them in but not so much taking out, if anything. It also depends on how you are growing. I barely gained anything until hitting my 34th week then suddenly hit a huge bump in weight gain but it is all water weight. There is really nothing you can do to control that later in the pregnancy. If the dress is empire waisted it looks almost like a upsidedown triangle. That is one way to figure it out, usually there is a seam under the breast line and it gradually flares out. Good luck.
  • imageSawyerplus1:

There's really no way to say how big you'll be at 35 weeks, or how much weight you'll have gained. 25 - 35 lbs is an average, but some women gain less and others gain more. Also, if your boobs have already gone up 2 cups, they could keep going up by 35 weeks. And there's not just boobs and belly to consider; by 35 weeks your hips could be spreading, you could have gained weight in your butt, and some women even experience widening or spreading of their ribcage, all of which will affect how a dress will fit. 

this. 

below is a picture of me at 20 weeks vs 37 weeks. clearly i changed a lot (i don't know how many pounds i gained in those 17 weeks, but my belly just exploded!).

• Every woman's body is different - so it's hard to gauge & don't want to give you bad advice. Although, if it were me - to play it safe I would've waited until the last possible second to get a dress & go with something like this Chiffon1 or this Chiffon2

& Maternity

BTW - Congratulations!! 

• With my first pregnancy, I was your size. 5'6 1/2 & 120 lbs. By the time I gave birth I was 140 lbs. I carried the weight mostly in my boobs and belly. Can you get a more non-traditional wedding dress with some stretch to it? Maybe something from J.Crew? I know they have some beautiful dresses. You could buy big and wait to alter it in the last week or so before the wedding, but babies have growth spurts, so I think it would be very tricky! Good luck! And Congrats!
  • Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Woah, I just saw how expensive the last dress was that I posted from J.Crew, this one is just as nice, and also has an empire waist for only$395!!! Way more reasonable..

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_feature/catalogjcrewcomexclusives/onlineshops/dresses/PRDOVR~22513/99101915314/ENE~1+2+3+22+4294967294+20~~~0~15~all~mode+matchallany~~~~~empire waist bridal/22513.jsp 

• I used to work in a bridal store and sadly I must say that satin is probably the worst material you could have chosen. It's going to show every lump, bump, undergarment (including spanx), roll, dimple, and popped belly button etc. Like others have said, it is not just your growing tummy and boobies you have to be concerned about... you may fill out in other areas as well. I agree that you need to choose an empire or baby doll style in a fabric that is more flowing and forgiving, especially for a 35 week belly! Only being as honest as possible because I don't want you to be filled with regret on your wedding day! I wish you all the best, and congrats on all the exciting adventures in your near future!

• I'd have to second what others are saying.

One other thing I haven't seen anyone mention is the whole "are you going to be up to this" thing at 35 weeks? The third trimester, especially the end, can be very tiring and hard to get through. Your wedding day on top of that can be stressful, emotional, and difficult in its own way. I shudder to think about having to stand all day that far along, when your feet are swollen and you just want to sleep all the time? 

I can only assume you've already thought of all that, and the date you've chosen is what works for you, regardless of all that. If so, I  wish you the best and hope it all works out. 

ETA- just wanted to add that I wasn't trying to be a downer at all, but wanted to point out something that may put a spoke in getting married that late from now. I really do hope whatever you choose works out for you. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • In all honesty, there is no way to predict how you are going to look or feel at 35 weeks. You could be at the hospital having the baby early or be put on bed rest. Or you could be very happy, healthy and ready for the wedding.

With #1 I was in bed most of the time and had gained weight everywhere. No way I would have wanted to have a wedding then!

With #2 I was still walking between 1 and 2 miles a day and felt great.

With this one I am 28 weeks and I know that I would not want to have a wedding in my future in a few weeks.

Is there any way you can move the date up and have a simpler ceremony? If not and you are set on having this wedding at 35 weeks along, I would not buy a dress until much closer to your date.

• I would get something empire waist and very flowly. Satin is a bad choice for a lot of people because it shows everything, probably even moreso for a pregnant woman.

I am 36 weeks tomorrow and have only gained 8.5 pounds over my prepregnancy weight.  I actually lose weight in other parts of my body and it moves to my belly (and boobs to a lesser degree).  

I'm guessing there's someone out there that makes maternity wedding dresses.  Or, you can find a maternity bridesmaids' dress that is available in white?

You're going to have to be flexible, because the timing is just unfortunately.  Please also make sure that you have contingency plans if you get put on bed rest or have the baby early.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"