Working Moms
Options

HR/recruiters would like your POV please

How are schools like the University of Phoenix's online program received generally by employers?

I have an associates degree but didn't finish my bachelors. I work for a small company that had a "promote from within" mentality and had made my way to middle management but times (and the corporate culture) are a changing and I have stalled out, actually I stalled out a few years ago and am just now accepting that it isn't going to change.

Most of the jobs I'd like to apply for online want that 4 yr degree.

As a Mom with a full time job the online option is attractive to me but I don't want to throw my money away if there is still a stigma attached.

TIA for sharing your POV. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers        Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Oct Angel*BFP 1/25/14 * EDD 10/6/14 * US#1 2/26/14 *US#2 3/3/14 no heartbeat*d&c 3/12/14*

BFP 1/17/15 * EDD 9/30/15

Re: HR/recruiters would like your POV please

• Options

Don't do any for-profit.  You are throwing money away.  They are not well received by employers, and the credits do not count if you want to go a legitimate university for any reason, either as a transfer student or to get a graduate degree.

I would look into a local public university; it will be MUCH less expensive, and many colleges and universities are starting to offer bachelor degree programs aimed at working / married adults who need more flexible scheduling.  Look for programs such as "Professional and Continuing Studies", etc. 

I know it is tempting to do the online programs, but in the long run you will be better off it you go to a more well regarded university.  You will receive a better education for less money, and you will also have access to services and good networks through the university's career planning office.

You can do it.  Don't sell yourself short with a for-profit degree.

• Options

Do any of your state colleges/universities offer an online degree program?  Many do, and it's a great way to continue working while getting your education - and good for you for pursuing it!

Online education per se does not have a stigma, but "University" of Phoenix and the like do.  Truthfully, I don't know of anyone in a hiring position who takes it seriously.  From what I understand, they're also ridiculously expensive.  If physically attending classes is not possible, google for "[your state] State University online degree" and see where it takes you.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses. I did the work full time and school nights/weekends when I was single and it was overwhelming then so I know it will be tougher now but comparing in state tuition to what they want was kind of a dealbreaker. They are super expensive. Your remarks about their reputation make me glad I asked! I believe my local schools offer some on line courses but not a full on Internet based program. I will have to research it more. Either way i have to do it though, I refuse to spin my wheels any longer.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers        Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Oct Angel*BFP 1/25/14 * EDD 10/6/14 * US#1 2/26/14 *US#2 3/3/14 no heartbeat*d&c 3/12/14*

BFP 1/17/15 * EDD 9/30/15

• Options

Agree with everyone else's comments on Phoenix.  You may be surprised though by how many traditional schools have on-line programs or components of programs.  Usually in these types of programs you only go to the campus a handful of times during the semester.  That may work well for you and your schedule.

Good luck! 

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options
    You may also want to check out your local community college.  Ours has a partnership program with 3 or 4 of the state universities, and offers university, upper level classes either on site (at the cc) or online.  They are pretty limited in the degree options, but if your like me and just looking to get a bachelors to have a bachelors you can find one to fit.
  • Options

Honestly, I think online classes are a million times more time consuming than traditonal classes.

I ditto all the other posters who said no to uop and look into local colleges being friendly to working professionals.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

not sure what you are interested in studying...but there are plenty of schools ou there that offer online learning (Penn State, Univ of Maryland, Univ of CT) as an HR Director that value is not so much on how you complete the program but the school.

Good luck

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm a working mom and going to a local state university to get my masters.  The program has a combo of online and in-class courses, and so far it's been very accommodating towards working professionals.  I think more and more schools are developing programs that recognize the fact that not all of us are 18 year old high school graduates.  The instructors all know we aren't full time students and have a lot of big commitments outside of school, but that we also take the education seriously and that we all bring a lot of knowledge and experience to the classes.  

FWIW, I also find that many employers treat a "degree in progress"  as almost equal to a degree in hand, especially if you have work skills to back it up.  So even if it takes you a while to get the degree part time you should still apply for those jobs while you are studying.

funny facebook fails - Son, I Am Disappoint
    see more Failbook
  • Options
    completely agree, go with a real, bricks and mortar place over one of the 'for profit' online places. SO many schools have online/continuing ed programs...UVA has a good one, Univ of Maryland, etc.  Go that route.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Online education is a great idea for a person like you who is already juggling multiple commitments. But to make sure all your money and effort does not go down the drain, look for distance learning degrees from schools that have valid accreditation and enjoy a good name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"