Two Under 2

Does anyone NOT own a double stroller?

I have been lurking for a while as DH and I are planning to start trying for bub #2 shortly.  :)

Just wondering, does anyone not have a double stroller?  I used to have a Baby Jogger City Select but decided to sell it due to how bulky it was, and now we just use a nice light Maclaren stroller (great for taking into small spaces like cafes).

I was hoping with bub #2 to just pop him/her in the Ergo when we're out and continue to use our Maclaren. Am I being naive or do I actually need a double stroller? 

Re: Does anyone NOT own a double stroller?

• I don't own a double stroller and so far we don't plan to. We aren't really stroller people. We almost didn't get one at all but my grandma offered to buy one. We did use it on a daily basis for walking the dog when my son was between 6 and 18 months. Once he learned to walk on his own he no longer wanted to sit in the stroller and that was that. I can count on one hand the number of times I've chosen to bring the stroller in the car when we go somewhere. I either use shopping carts or wear my babies (Moby, then ring sling, then Ergo as they get older). 

I did appreciate having the single stroller when we went to the science museum as a family the other day (easier on my back), but I definitely prefer to wear my daughter when I'm out with the two alone because I can chase my son more efficiently.

The one situation where we thought we might want a double stroller was for walking the dog. The concern was that once the little one got old enough that we wanted to push her in the stroller instead of wear her the older one might get jealous and want to get in too. We've done it 3 times now and each time he cried but we told him that big boys walk and babies ride in strollers and he was fine with that. So I don't think we'll get a double, though we might rent one at places like disney or the zoo if we go when they're at the appropriate ages. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We did a carrier and the single stroller a LOT when the baby was young.

We bought a double (used on craigs list) and it only got used a hand full of times so we sold it on Craigs list and broke even.

I think the bigger issue becomes containment, safety and longevity of outings once the baby becomes too big to wear as comfortably.

We got a sit and stand to allow the toddler more freedom but to give him a place to rest and ride while in parking lots for safety and it ended up being great for us.

My vote is wait.

Go with your single and wear the baby and reassess what might work for you based on the needs and personality of your toddler once wearing the baby becomes more cumbersome.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Loading the player...
  • Since my oldest has been able to walk we haven't used a stroller for her with the exception of her smart trike that we use at the zoo. She walks wherever we go.

That being said I still got a sit and stand type stroller strickly because I need to have a way to contain DD while I feed the baby on outings. However if I had a single stroller I probably wouldn't have bought the sit and stand. (We went straight from a snap and go to walking) 

I would wait until after the baby is born then see how the ergo and maclaren work out.

• Thanks for the replies.  :)
  • My kids are 25 months apart.  We initially bought a cheap double stroller when DD was a few months old.  We used it once and it was way more of a hassle, DS wanted to walk all the time and threw a crazy fit when we put him in the stroller.  We returned it.  For us, we never really had a use for it.  I'd wait untill your baby is born and if you feel you need one, get one, but we now realize for us it was a total waste of money.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really think it depends on how far apart your 2u2 would be as well as how the older is with walking. My boys are 15 monts apart and I couldn't live without our city select or double bob. We use both a ton and I love having a single and double in one stroller. 

You can always try it and see how it goes. Oh and I agree with a pp I don't particular like the ergo for newborns. I had a baby ktan for ds2 that he loved until he was 10 months then he liked the ergo.  

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wouldn't be able to live without my double stroller.  I have a city select double. 

My girls are 18 months apart.  It was the end of June when #2 was born and since it is pretty hot in here in the summer I wasn't comfortable wearing her.

#2 is a runner so I needed someway to contain her.

However you need to think about how much you use your stroller now.  If you do you might want be thinking about a double.  Sometimes it is frustrating to have one strapped to you when you are chasing or having to carry your oldest.

Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • Baby #2 isn't here yet, but this is our plan...

We have a travel system, an umbrella stroller, and an Ergo. If I'm out with DH, we can push both kids. If I'm without DH, I will wear DD2 and push DD1. Once DD1 gets a little older and I can trust her to walk on her own/keep up with us, we'll push DD2 and let DD1 walk.

• we don't. My girls are 21 months apart. I have a mei tai that I use with the little one while we are out. So far our single stroller arrangement works just fine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lydia Eloise (5/25/10)
    Nora Annabelle (2/14/12)
    M/C 6.5 weeks (1/29/14) EDD (9/21/14)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"