Eco-Friendly Family
Options

What's your alternative to shower curtains?

I did a google search and I came across hemp curtains, um they are like $90 to$140! Can I use just the fabric one? Like hotels do? I 'm just afraid the fabric would get moldy.  I'm sure there must be PVC-free ones but I'd still like to avoid plastic if possible. TIA

Re: What's your alternative to shower curtains?

• Options
    I had a hemp one for a while, it wasn't that expensive but it wasn't cheap either. I did have a problem with mold though. I switched to a cotton one and it's much better. I think I got it for $10 at Target.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have glass doors so I can't personally speak to longevity, but my mil just uses cloth shower curtains and doesn't seem to have any problems from what I've noticed after showering there. 
  • Options
    We bought glass doors (second hand!).
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We use fabric and they are fine.  I just wash in really hot water when they start to get icky.  They work just fine.  If you do get mildew, use a vinegar/salt mix on it, let it sit overnight, and wash.  All better!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• Options

imagekristin172429:
    We use fabric and they are fine.  I just wash in really hot water when they start to get icky.  They work just fine.  If you do get mildew, use a vinegar/salt mix on it, let it sit overnight, and wash.  All better!

Awesome, thanks! Just one quick question, when you shower you leave the fabric curtain on the inside of the tub, right? 

• Options
    I use fabric and wash every other week or more often if it smells or looks gross. Been doing it for over a year and no problems!
  • Options
    aetgaetg member
    I use fabric and we have had the same ones for a couple years now.  I probably wash it once a month.  We also have a fabric outer curtain.  One tip- make sure to close the curtain to spread it out after showering- it helps it dry faster.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We also have a cloth one that we throw in the washer every few weeks - it comes out just like new.  It's important to close it after your shower so it can dry.  We haven't had a mildew problem so far.  And yes, you should leave it on the inside of the tub when showering.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagekristin172429:

Dear Kristin,

Your siggy is adorable!!!

Peony.  :) 

• Options
    Similar to previous posters, we have two fabric shower curtains: an inner (slightly water resistant?) one and an outer decorative one (both white). I throw them in the wash (with other whites on hot) every 2-3 weeks and they come out clean and bright. Drawing the curtain over does help dry it out between showers.
    Met 07/07/05, Wedding 07/07/07, Legal Marriage Ceremony 12/9/12, Baby Boy Born 08/09/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"