June 2012 Moms
Options

Curly haired babies (small freakout)

So I have extremely curly hair that I straighten every single day just because it's so hard to take care of. DH also has super curls. 

I didnt really think about it until I got out of the shower, saw my hair curly, and then baby kicked but I am FREAKING out about how hard it is going to be to care for his hair.

I was adopted (I'm half black both parents are white) and my mom really didn't know how to care for my hair. When it would get to tangly she would literally chop it all off to about an inch. For a little girl, that is traumatizing. I now have an obsession with long straight hair.

I'm super thankful I'm having a boy but I am so scared that I'm going to have to deal with his curly hair and I just have no idea what to do. 

Pregnancy Ticker IAmPregnant TickerBabyName Ticker

Re: Curly haired babies (small freakout)

• Options

I have curly hair too, but DH has stick straight hair. I actually wouldn't mind our little boy having curly hair, I think little boys with curls are extra adorable. Plus you can always keep it short if it's too out of control.

If we were having a girl I would be praying pretty hard for her not to have my hair. It takes so much time to do long curly hair. 

I also remember my mom having all my hair cut off into a "pixie" cut because I would scream so bad when she tried to brush it out. No fun!

married my best friend August 6, 2010
  • Options

my mom has super curly and frizzy hair while i have very smooth and straight hair ... u never know how their hair are going out to be until they are born.. imo boys with curly hair look so adorable..

image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would think a girl with curly hair would need a lot of conditioner in the shower, and then you could braid her hair to keep it untangled and out of her face.  For a boy, just cut it shorter!  Again, lots of conditioner or de-tangler. 

As someone with thinner, fine hair, I think having a girl with super fine hair that never holds barrettes or rubber bands is worse than curly!

• Options

I have "slippery" hair like pp...barrettes are the most useless thing ever for us!

Anyway, everyone in my family and DH have curly hair, so, chances are, this little girl will, too. I just know that I'll have to consult my curly haired friends and family for what to do. There will be a learning curve, but I figure it won't be the steepest one we have to climb!

Also, op, I've come across a lot of hairdressers/salons that specialize in curly hair and think when in doubt, see a professional. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My kids are bi-racial (black/white) and I love It's a curl hair products.  they are made for bi-racial kids and they work great.  I have also heard great things about Mixed chicks haircare.

It will probably take months before your LO's real hair comes in so the 1st few months won;t be tough. Since you are having a son it probably wont be hard to maintain his hair.  Moisturize daily and pick it out daily.

Genetics are funny....your LO could have any combo of hair.  My DS's hair is more like African-American hair while DD has light brown/golden curly hair that is fine.

• Options
    Awe, curly haired boy= ADORABLE :-)
    loren
  • Options
    The lucky part is that you can keep it short...all the boys at the daycare with curls keep it very short... and the other few put it in braids... it also will really depend on how curly it is... Both DH and I have stick straight thick hair... but curly runs in his family... however not in his immediete faily... so we'll just have to see... 
  • Options
    I'm just poppin in cus I"m half white and black too and I live somewhere that is 95% white people, and they seem to love to brown babies but have no idea about their skin and hair. Little boys are easy. Just keep it moiturized like you do with yours and brush it and don't wash it everyday or it'll dry out, and it really should be fine. Little black boy hair is soooo much easier than little girls. I feel your pain My hair has been straight sine i was 10 so more than half my life cus I just hate the curls. But you never know the recessive genes might come into play and you might get a baby with loose wavy or even pretty straight hair. Try not to worry too much about it, genetics are a weird things and can totally not turn out the way you expect. My baby will be 3/4 white (and I mean me and the DH come from families that are almost see through they are so white lol) but I wouldn't be surprised if she came out really curly and dark even though you would think she wouldn't lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Don't freak out!  Curly hair is actually easy to manage if you know what to do.  I've hated my curls in the past, but I've learned to embrace them now!  I condition every day and cleanse with a no-poo product twice a week.  I use Devacurls products and Curlkeeper (curlyhairsolutions.com).  The biggest piece of advice is to detangle when hair its wet and don't EVER try to brush it when it's dry-it will turn into a frizzy rats nest!  I don't touch my hair until its dry!  I don't even own a brush or comb!  Also, find a stylist who specializes in curly hair or better yet has been trained at the deva institute in NYC.  I recommend reading Curly Girl: The handbook-there's a section for kids and guys.  Good luck!  
  • Options

imagetuki06:
    I'm just poppin in cus I"m half white and black too and I live somewhere that is 95% white people, and they seem to love to brown babies but have no idea about their skin and hair. Little boys are easy. Just keep it moiturized like you do with yours and brush it and don't wash it everyday or it'll dry out, and it really should be fine. Little black boy hair is soooo much easier than little girls. I feel your pain My hair has been straight sine i was 10 so more than half my life cus I just hate the curls. But you never know the recessive genes might come into play and you might get a baby with loose wavy or even pretty straight hair. Try not to worry too much about it, genetics are a weird things and can totally not turn out the way you expect. My baby will be 3/4 white (and I mean me and the DH come from families that are almost see through they are so white lol) but I wouldn't be surprised if she came out really curly and dark even though you would think she wouldn't lol

Really? Hmm So, it is Gospel that straight hair is pretty and curly hair is ugly, hungh? Good to know. Hmmm, I wonder how these children will feel once they catch on that something about them is not good enough, ugly, or not the "right type".  Great message to send.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think you took that wrong Krey.. looks to me as if it was "pretty straight hair" meaning fairly straight.. I could be wrong but it didn't look like it was a knock on hair style to me.. lol 
  • Options
    mab3lmab3l member
    my family is all mixed :-) Redken makes a product called Fresh Curls - a little dab of that applied to his wet hair - especially if you keep it short - it should do the trick. if you keep it longer you may need more. it's cheaper if you know someone that can buy it for you from the professional hair stores - it's like 12 dollars but at the salon or regular stores its like 16. hope this helps.
  • Options
    imagehollyg1920:

It will probably take months before your LO's real hair comes in so the 1st few months won;t be tough. Since you are having a son it probably wont be hard to maintain his hair.  Moisturize daily and pick it out daily.

I'm Puerto Rican with wild, thick, curly hair and dh is mixed black and white, but has very soft textured African-American hair with some straight bits mixed in. I have a strong feeling LO will come out with hair similar to mine with maybe a bit more coarseness to it. My best advice is to only use shampoo (no sulfates or parabens) once in a while. Otherwise, you should rinse well and condition at every bath. Then before drying his hair, apply a leave-in conditioner. I've recently been using Mixed Chicks for my hair and it works great without the addition of any other product. They also sell a kid's version, which I plan to purchase when our baby's hair is long enough. If he has my curls we will keep it on the long side for awhile, but will probably buzz it as he gets a bit older.

• Options
    Curly hair is goprgeous, and pretty easyt o maintain. All the tips on this thread so far are great. Also, the OP is having a boy, I just don't see what the issue is. If you don't want to deal with curls,. keep the hair on the shorter side.
  • Options

I am half black and half Korean. It has taken a while to figure out what is best for my hair but glad I have them. I love having curly hair one min and straight the other.

I suggest hair milk from Carol's Daughter. Most of the time your have to order it online but I have found it in Macy's and on military bases. They have a hair care line for children. Also another website with helpful info for adults and children is curlynikki.com. Love that site.

The only thing I suggest NOT doing is slathering on the hair grease you pick up from the grocery store or even hair places. Just keep it moisturized and I suggest a light cream. I am excited to see our baby girl's hair.

TTC #2 since Sept '16
    My Chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/28017b
    TTC #1- 3 failed rounds of Clomid/ Surprise Natural BFP w/weight loss- 9/22/11 DD 5/12
    DX. Dec '09 w/ Inappropriate LH Secretion Syndrom/PCOS/ Anov 28 months
    (Former username: xxbblueangelxx)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"