C-sections
Options

What side effects did you get after getting tubal ligation

Am not sure if this is the right place to post this but I frequent this forum and have learnt alot. Am hoping for any input.

Am scheduled for a c section in May and I've recently started thinking about getting a tubal during the c sec. If you've had a tubal would you mind sharing any side effects you've had. Some of the things I've read on goggle are scary.

TIA.

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: What side effects did you get after getting tubal ligation

• Options
    I had a tubal with my last c-section 8.5 months ago and have seen no difference.  I have heard that your periods can be a bit more painful after a tubal, but my two sisters and niece who had it done said their cycles were never any different.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My OB assured me there were no side effects of the surgery, and that my periods should remain as they were before.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagelucylea:
    I have heard that your periods can be a bit more painful after a tubal, but my two sisters and niece who had it done said their cycles were never any different.  

this can happen just by virtue of having had a baby or getting older, too.  my periods got worse after each PG, I'm not expecting them to get better after this PG and my tubal.  I'll probably end up with an ablation in addition to my tubal, but the two aren't related.  

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

I considered getting a tubal during my c/s for #3, but my OB said that about 30% of women experience heavier, more painful periods after a tubal. However it is usually not immediate; it can take months or years for this to occur. My periods are heavy and painful enough, and 30% is too high of a statistic for my liking, so I decided against it. Vasectomies are so easy to recover from with no side effects, so that is the route we will ultimately take.

I recommend talking to your OB about it and seeing what other options might work for you, and discussing with your partner so you can make the best decision for your family together.

• Options
    I had my tubal in January 2011 during my c-section.   My periods have been a little heavier but I can attribute that to being on hormonal birth control before and now not being on it.  I was on the Nuva Ring when I got pregnant and it caused my periods to become almost non-existant in the 3-4 years I was on it.  My periods are still lighter post c-section/tubal than I remember them being in my early 20's before i was any kind of BC.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagelucylea:
    I had a tubal with my last c-section 8.5 months ago and have seen no difference.  I have heard that your periods can be a bit more painful after a tubal, but my two sisters and niece who had it done said their cycles were never any different.  

I asked my doctor about this because I had the same concern.  He said it's just a myth.  A lot of women use hormonal birth control until the tubal ligation.  Then their periods go back to what they were like without birth control.  It's the lack of hormonal birth control that messes with their periods, not the tubal. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemlf625:
    My OB assured me there were no side effects of the surgery, and that my periods should remain as they were before.

this

I also asked about possible heavier flow/pain. She said that when people normal report that it's because they had previously were on the pill so after coming off of it you tend to have a heavier period. So you would have had that regardless of whether you had the tubal or just stopped taking the pill. She said you can always go back on the pill to manage it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemeganandchase:

imagelucylea:

I asked my doctor about this because I had the same concern.  He said it's just a myth.  A lot of women use hormonal birth control until the tubal ligation.  Then their periods go back to what they were like without birth control.  It's the lack of hormonal birth control that messes with their periods, not the tubal. 

That makes sense! Thank you

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"