Attachment Parenting

Babies and cabs

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm a country girl.  If you take a baby in a cab, do they just sit on your lap? 

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16

Re: Babies and cabs

• I did use the carseat in the cab when he was in the carrier, but what about if your baby is in a convertible? I haven't done it yet, but now I'm curious.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemelpatbat:

That being said, I would rather take the bus or bum a ride off anyone I know than go in a car without a car seat. I would only do it in an emergency situation and only if I couldn't bring my car seat with me.  It would be an absolute last resort and I can't even think of a good reason right now as to what circumstances it would happen in.

This. I mostly rode buses or subways with DD in NYC, even to and from the airport, to avoid the car seat issue. When I did need to go somewhere in a car, I tried to take the car seat and bring along my gogoKidz wheels so I could roll around the seat with me after exiting the car.

There are emergencies that have come up, having to get quickly from the doctor's office to a blood testing lab, for example, and I have taken those rides absolutely sick to my stomach and worrying that will be the one time I am in a cab accident. It's not worth the risk to me for just an average outing. Have you ever heard the expression "taxi face?" I know people who have been in some pretty nasty cab accidents.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • As pp have pointed out, the regulations differ from state to state (and country to country). When we lived in southern California we always either brought the car seat or avoided taking a cab (by having friends drive us to the airport). On the odd occasion I did ride with DD on my lap for the 10 min ride to the airport (knowing this was both illegal and dangerous). In Sweden where I live now almost all cabs have convertible child seats in them and all you have to do is mention it when you call the cab so they can set it up. It is truly wonderful to have this freedom to take a cab when you need it. In the UK where we travel a lot too, taxis look quite different (with 4 seats in the back and lots of floor space). They know nothing of child seats and I just ride with DD on my lap. Again knowing the risks. I wish all countries would adopt the Swedish model :-)
    Single mom of DD (2010), TTC #2 since June 2013.
    Occasionally I'm blogging about my life with flybaby.
  • For the infant stage I just used the bucket in cab. My stroller frame worked like a snap-n-go so it was easy.

I avoided cabs for the convertible stage but that is bc I live in Europe. If I were in the US, I would have gotten the Coccoro and a flash frame which essentially would work like the bucket and snap-n-go. Then after 3 yo you can use an RSTV.

Now that DD is 3 I use an RSTV in a cab.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"