Working Moms

If you've left your career to do something different come in

I am a kindergarten teacher and am absolutely disliking the atmopshere in the teaching field anymore.  I am thinking of starting a daycare center in our area and walking away from teaching.  Has anyone left thier job to try something differnt that made you less miserable and more happy?!  How did it work out for you?  Any advice?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If you've left your career to do something different come in

• I did, but it was pre baby. I used to work in behavioral healthcare, in administrative case management at a community mental health center. I made good money, but it was emotionally draining. One day I just randomlydecided that I hated it and couldn't stay.  I asked myself what kind of job would make me happiest.  I had a passion for baking, so I decided to go to culinary school. 

I did a grueling 3 year apprenticeship and became an executive pastry chef one year later. That was about 12 years ago. I havent always loved every job, but I do love my career. 

That being said, I don't know if I would have jumped into that if I had already had my son. I don't know how I would have managed it, but the food industry has crazy hours. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• What are your primary concerns? Are you worried about the financial aspect? Fear of trying something new?

I did. I left a career in finance after DS was born. I was miserable and hated my job. I went back to school and got my masters degree in teaching. I'm glad I did it. Having a job that I love has been one bright spot during some pretty hellish years. It was definitely scary at times, but I don't regret it for a second. 

• Loading the player...
  • imagewarriormomerin:

What are your primary concerns? Are you worried about the financial aspect? Fear of trying something new?

I did. I left a career in finance after DS was born. I was miserable and hated my job. I went back to school and got my masters degree in teaching. I'm glad I did it. Having a job that I love has been one bright spot during some pretty hellish years. It was definitely scary at times, but I don't regret it for a second. 

The finances don't really scare me all too much as we have typically lived off of just my husbands income.  I guess it is hte fear of trying something new and failing after I have infested so much time and money into that new path.  There is only one other daycare in our area and from meeting I have been able to attend during work as a teacher there is a clear need for another.  I still just get freaked out about being unsuccessful if htat makes much sense.

• I worked in clinical trials and decided to become a dentist.  I graduated from dental school 2 years ago and now I'm a resident.  Dental school wasn't easy and it was much harder than working in my previous job in clinical trials.  However, I took it one day at a time and focused on the future (when I would be done school and residency).

Maybe one option for you would be to be a nanny for a summer/or a year before investing financially in opening your own daycare center.   

• I used to work for high tech companies and now I run 2 stores  (we are franchise owners).  dh is not involved with the day to day stuff, its just me.  the stores are only closed 3 days a year, and are open from about 10 to 10 daily. when I am not therem I get calls all the time, anytime. 

I love saying that I own my own biz,  I enjoy the success of it; and people always seem interested to know more.

however, I really miss having a set 9-5 day, and being around educated adult professionals, and being in the corporate environment.  I liked keeping a schedule, as I am a creature of routine

nowadays, I have to be really flexible to deal with all the issues that comes with owning a store.  and there is no end to operational and employee issues.  it can be really stressful and disruptive . 

I used to be a huge fitness freak.  I don't have time or energy to work out anymore..all the energy is sucked out of me between running the business and keeping my home and family

• I'm a lurker here but figured I would chime in. I'm in a similar situation you are and am pondering the same question. For me, I'm not sure if our family can take the financial hit as I'm in the 100k range for work and would likely have to find a job in the 50k range. I work weird hours and have work in some sort of fashion on my days off. I'm ready to leave but nervous. I will probably start attending college and finishing my Bachelor's in the meantime. GL
    ****missing my little angel since 11/28/12 (m/c 8.4 weeks)**** Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I did this while pregnant.  I was working in insurance, had been there for 12 years, and hated it.  While I was making good money, I felt like it was sucking out my soul...I was miserable.  I got my Masters 2 weeks before I got my BFP, and got a new job around 3 months pregnant.  I took a pretty big pay cut, but it has been so worth it.  I love my new job!  I also think that loving my job and coworkers made it a lot easier to go back to work after maternity leave. 
  • I hate my current job. I'm locked in a contract for another 15 months though and it will cost us $160,000 if I try to get out now. I have over $300,000 in student loan debt. If when DH starts working again our potential combined income is close to what I make now, I'll leave when my contract is up. I have no idea what I will do and it's super scary to not know what the future has in store. I've always had goals and plans and now I have no direction at all. It's weird to think about it. 
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • ns1ns1 member

I did!  I taught high school English for 3 years.  I loved the students and actually teaching, but I hated the politics, all the other crap I had to do, and the time it sucked out of my own life.  I was miserable because so little of teaching was actually about teaching!  And when I came home all I did in the evenings and weekends was work.  It was a 24/7 job; and if I wasn't working I was feeling guilty for not working.  

I realized DH and I wanted to start a family, and I couldn't justify not giving enough time to either my students or my baby, so I quit.  I had a plan before hand.  I am now getting my Master's degree in library science.  I'm working full-time at a library for a job and benefits, and for experience, and because they help out with some of my schooling costs.  I didn't have a job before quitting, and I told myself if I didn't have one by the next school year I would substitute teach until I found one.

I was worried about money, and I took a big cut in pay, but luckily DH and I aren't huge over-spenders, and he has a decent paying job.  I have cut out some luxuries, but we can afford to get by decently.  And hopefully once I get my masters I'll be able to find a job where I make more...hopefully!  

I am a million times happier!  It was a very difficult decision to make, but I knew it had to be done, and it really has been for the best.  

Good luck with your decision, and I commend you for teaching and raising a child!  Kudos! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • MrsSRMrsSR member

I'm a teacher and I've worked in daycare.  I hated daycare!  Such long hours with the children (at least with teaching the kids go home and I can get things done alone).

You should look into a part time daycare job this summer.  They are always hiring then and you can get a taste for what it's like.

Have you thought of going to a different school?  Maybe go to private if you are in public or public if you are in private?

I teach at a private school and it's so much different than public. 

• Thank you everyone for the advice and well wishes.  I hope those of you in similiar shoes as I will find your direction. 
  • I only taught one semester so I'm not really sure that I can call that my "career" but my plan was always to teach until I actually taught and then decided that nope, I didn't want to teach.  It took me about two years to figure out what to do from there.  I went back to school and got a paralegal certificate and have made a career with that.  I am definitely satisfied with my choice and enjoy my job and have created a position for myself where I do still get to teach/train new employees. 

I think the big thing is to decide what it is you don't like about your current position and decide how likely those things are to change if you change career paths.  There are bad bosses and bad co-workers everywhere.  Running your own business may mean even more aggravation than what you have now, etc.  Look at everything realistically and not just with a the grass is always greener approach and I think that will better help you to decide where you want to go from here.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• I was an inside sales representative for 12 years.  I made great money and was very good at it.  But it didn't suit my personality, and the industry I was selling in made me feel like I had to dumb myself down; it was very depressing.

I quit and went to law school.  That was seven years ago (pre-baby, obviously), and it was significant financial investment for DH and I.  Some people go to law school for all of the wrong reasons and end up hating their careers, but I had done a ton of research and talked to many, many lawyers to make sure that law was where I wanted to be.  If you do the research and think that owning a daycare is something you want to do, as long as you can financially swing it, do it.  Don't fear failure - if it's something you love and are committed to, you won't fail.

• imagecarlyrenee:
    imagewarriormomerin:

What are your primary concerns? Are you worried about the financial aspect? Fear of trying something new?

The finances don't really scare me all too much as we have typically lived off of just my husbands income.  I guess it is hte fear of trying something new and failing after I have infested so much time and money into that new path.  There is only one other daycare in our area and from meeting I have been able to attend during work as a teacher there is a clear need for another.  I still just get freaked out about being unsuccessful if htat makes much sense.

If finances aren't an issue, I say go for it. Life's too short to do something you don't like, especially if you have the opportunity to at least give it a try. If it doesn't work out, at least you'll know instead of always wondering "what if." Good luck with your decision!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"