C-sections
Options

how to best prepare for recovery...

Any advice from you 2nd + time c-section moms on how to best prepare for recovery? I want to go into my c-section knowing how to recover as fast as possible. Obviously, I have no idea what really is going to happen, but I'm a planner and like to go into everything with as much information as possible.

What are some things that helped you get back on your feet and moving around faster?

TIA

Baby Boy - Born June 8, 2012 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: how to best prepare for recovery...

• Options

have the house clean and everything ready before you go in- i feel so helpless not being able to do anything about messes for sooo long! also wish i'd done some frozen dinners or something. any free time i had the first week i just wanted to lay down, not even energy to put together a sandwich most days!

getting up and walking around is great, but dont overdo it either- i went on a walk outside one day and went too far i think because i felt awful for a while afterwards! 

GL! 

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

walk, walk, walk.  The more you move after surgery the quicker you usually get on your feet.  Of course you can't be running around and lifting things, but the more you move the better. (this is of course after they get you walking...don't get up until they okay you to do so ;)  Everyday go a little bit further.

I tried to go too quickly and on the first day out of bed I tried to walk to the nursery...yeah they had to get me a wheelchair to go back....so don't go crazy, but move around. 

Take your pain meds on schedule and according to your dr. so that you can get up and move the best possible and you don't feel terrible...slowly you will realize you don't need them anymore. 

Have everything in place before your surgery, including freezer meals, laundy, everything done so you dont have to worry etc.

If you have an upstairs and downstairs make sure you have two of everything so that you don't have to go up a down a million times.

Otherwise, that is about it.  

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ditto the pp - get up and walk ASAP after surgery.  After my 2nd c/s, knowing how important this was, I badgered the nurse to remove my catheter as soon as I felt even remotely able to get up and walk.  Just walking to the bathroom and back will help get your strength back up and set you off on the right path.

Don't fall behind on your pain meds those first few days.  Even if you have to hunt down a nurse at 2am (like my DH did), get your meds on time.

If they offer you milk of magnesia to get you pooping, be VERY cautious.  I trusted the nurse when she kept giving me shots of it and ended up (tmi) shiiitting my brains out for about 24 hours.  Awful, particularly after abdominal surgery, and even more awful when you're in a small hospital room with your husband who's gagging while trying to care for your newborn.  Awesome.

I was fine to go up and down the stairs by the time we got home, but it is smart to set up a changing station on both floors of your house (if applicable) to limit your trips up and down if you're feeling sore.

Buy bigger granny panties than you think you'll need.  The mesh panties from the hospital were nice, but after I ran out of those, I made DH go buy me size large underwear.  I'm normally a small, but you want to be able to pull the waist band up way over your incision.

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagerosesandpeonies:

walk, walk, walk.  The more you move after surgery the quicker you usually get on your feet.  Of course you can't be running around and lifting things, but the more you move the better. (this is of course after they get you walking...don't get up until they okay you to do so ;)  Everyday go a little bit further.

I tried to go too quickly and on the first day out of bed I tried to walk to the nursery...yeah they had to get me a wheelchair to go back....so don't go crazy, but move around. 

Take your pain meds on schedule and according to your dr. so that you can get up and move the best possible and you don't feel terrible...slowly you will realize you don't need them anymore. 

Have everything in place before your surgery, including freezer meals, laundy, everything done so you dont have to worry etc.

If you have an upstairs and downstairs make sure you have two of everything so that you don't have to go up a down a million times.

Otherwise, that is about it.  

YES! Don't skip the pain meds, I did and regretted it!

• Options
    imagemlf625:

Ditto the pp - get up and walk ASAP after surgery.  After my 2nd c/s, knowing how important this was, I badgered the nurse to remove my catheter as soon as I felt even remotely able to get up and walk.  Just walking to the bathroom and back will help get your strength back up and set you off on the right path.

Don't fall behind on your pain meds those first few days.  Even if you have to hunt down a nurse at 2am (like my DH did), get your meds on time.

If they offer you milk of magnesia to get you pooping, be VERY cautious.  I trusted the nurse when she kept giving me shots of it and ended up (tmi) shiiitting my brains out for about 24 hours.  Awful, particularly after abdominal surgery, and even more awful when you're in a small hospital room with your husband who's gagging while trying to care for your newborn.  Awesome.

I was fine to go up and down the stairs by the time we got home, but it is smart to set up a changing station on both floors of your house (if applicable) to limit your trips up and down if you're feeling sore.

Buy bigger granny panties than you think you'll need.  The mesh panties from the hospital were nice, but after I ran out of those, I made DH go buy me size large underwear.  I'm normally a small, but you want to be able to pull the waist band up way over your incision.

Yep I'm getting some granny panties too. I like the ones that come up to your belly button. The low cut kind and bikinis rub against the incision 

• Options
    well, getting up on your feet as soon as possible afterward actually helps a lot.  Although you'll think you can't do it, start taking laps around the L&D ward the 2nd day.  Keep it up when you get home too, just around the block at first.  But, don't overdo it with stairs, housework, etc.  When you get home, your job is to rest and feed baby for the first week or two.  but really, after the 1st week you'll probably be feeling good and you just need to listen to your body.  It will tell you if you've overdone it the day before and you'll need to ease up the next day. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

As others have said move around as soon as you are able.  Don't go crazy and try to make laps the first few times you get up, but don't stay still for too long either.  If you do sit or lay for too long you'll stiffen up.  The flip side is if you do too much at once you can make yourself physically sick. (And DO take your pain meds!  If you decide a few days in that you've had enough of the heavy-duty stuff downgrade to extra-strength Tylenol or whatever, but don't just quit cold turkey if you go that route!)

I was surprised by how long I was in pain.  Even 2 weeks later I would get random twinges that would literally stop me in my tracks.  Each person is different, though.

Also, if you have a super high bed then you might want to think about an alternate place to sleep (like the recliner).   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

YES! walk, walk, walk!!! I was up and moving 8 hours post-surgery. The nurses were shocked at how fast I was recovering. My incision looked awesome (thanks to an amazing OB!) and I wasn't that sore. I wasn't running a marathon, by any means. But walking felt good. Those first 8 hours stuck in bed sucked so bad. Don't over-do it, but don't think you need to lay around like a slug either. I always used the baby cradle as a walker in the hospital. I'd push that around so that I could lean on it in case I did get tired.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"