Babies on the Brain
Options

Thinking of going off the pill... how did it go for you?

I've been on the pill for about 10 years and my husband and I have been talking more and more lately about TTC.  How did your body react when you went off the pill? I've read articles that said to wait a few months before TTC after stopping the pill to let your body get used to it.

Thanks for any thoughts! First time posting - exciting and scary :)

Amanda

Re: Thinking of going off the pill... how did it go for you?

• Options
    I was on bcp's for about 10 years when I went off.  I went off in Nov 2011, and was pregnant Feb2012.  The only real side effects was that my libido actually increased.  Hope this helps!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was only on the pill for about 2.5 years, but I had basically no problem coming off - a slightly longer cycle the first cycle off, and then back to normal.  And like PP, my libido increased. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was on the pill for about 9 years and just went off of it last month.  I just started my first cycle after going off on Wednesday.  I have always had a 28-29 day cycle just like clockwork.  My 1st cycle after stopping BCP started normal as always.  The only side effect I have had is increased libido, which is a good thing!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I went off the pill with all thoughts that it would take some time to conceive.

I got pregnant 2-3 weeks later...

Make sure you are really ready before you stop taking it.

• Options
    I quit BCP in Jan 2007. All I remember is that I had an awesome insatiable sex drive for about a month. It was fantastic.
    imageimage
    7,065/13,000=54.3%
    Started TTC in June 2008. Not bothering any more.

Bonafide thread killah
  • Options

I gained a bit of weight when I came off BCP. Nothing too bad, but noticeable to me.

Other than that, my sex drive went through the roof, and I felt actually good for the first time since going on BCP almost ten years earlier. 

GL!

TTC since June 2010.
    DX hypothyroidism, pituitary hyperfunction, and PCOS.
    On med/treatment break indefinitely. Not currently trying.
    Lots of love to all of my Golden Girls!
    The Vagtastic Voyage
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I stopped the pill last October after 6 consecutive years of taking it (took it for 2 years a few years before that). The first 3 weeks or so (basically what would have been the 21 active pills in my next pack) were rough. I was pretty much the biggest b!tch in the world and H and I got in some HUGE fights. I "joke" to people IRL that we almost got divorced like 3 times, but the fights really were that bad.

Since then, I've been pretty normal and H and I are great. :)  The first day of my period is typically kind of crampy, but it's actually lighter and shorter than it was when I was on the pill. Not entirely sure why, as my period has always been around 5-6 days both on and off the pill. Now it's 3 days with spotting for 3+ days both before and after. Who knows!

Edited to make the "swear word" viewable.

Due 10/21/13 with our first baby BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My cycles didn't change after I got off the pill. I got off about 3 months before we started ttc # 1 and I got pg after 6 cycles.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

I was on the pill for 15 years, ten of those years continuously (no periods at all) for endo.   I just went off in February, had a regular withdrawal bleed, and then my first real period about two weeks later.  30 days after that, I got my second period, right on schedule.....so far so good.  I know that for many women, it takes awhile to get periods once you stop taking the pill.   However, these real periods are a totally different ball game than the little pill periods.  Yikes!

My only side effects were a minor headache that didnt go away for about two weeks, and a definite increase in my sex drive.  I was a bit bitchy, too.  My doc did recommend waiting for two periods before TTC. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

I was on for 10+ years before stopping. Part of the reason I started taking them in the first place was to regulate my periods and right after stopping I was very regular for a couple months before my cycle got super long and wonky again. I was also a horrid b!tch for several weeks and had tremendously bad headaches. 

I went off the Pill in August, started charting in December and was pregnant in June on cycle 4. (I also got pregnant on cycle 3, but had a m/c.)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I was on the pill for about 4 years, went off it in Nov. 2010 and was pregnant in Dec. 2010. That pregnancy sadly ended in a m/c, and I got pregnant again with E in March 2011. The only "side effect" I noticed was that I had way more of a sex drive. 
    BFP#1=12/24/10 missed m/c @ 9w2d BFP#2=4/13/11 EDD 12/24/11 (coming full circle!)
    Ella born 12/21/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagesalt78:

I was on for 10+ years before stopping. Part of the reason I started taking them in the first place was to regulate my periods and right after stopping I was very regular for a couple months before my cycle got super long and wonky again. I was also a horrid b!tch for several weeks and had tremendously bad headaches. 

I went off the Pill in August, started charting in December and was pregnant in June on cycle 4. (I also got pregnant on cycle 3, but had a m/c.)

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was a terrible b!tch right off the pill! ;)

BTW, your daughter is adorable. Congrats!

Edited to make the "swear word" viewable.

Due 10/21/13 with our first baby BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I stopped BCPs in early December, after 10+ years. For a few weeks after stopping them, I had quite a few weird symptoms going on - cramps, backache, headache, nausea, dizziness, etc. All of that died down after about 3 weeks. My first cycle was 48 days, second was 50, and now I'm on CD18, hoping that this one is shorter. 

You can start TTC immediately after stopping BCPs, but if you are not quite ready yet, I would suggest stopping the BCPs anyways so that your hormones can start to regulate, etc. 

Good luck!   

imageimage
    Me(32) + DH(32) TTC #1 since Dec 2011
    RE consult Dec 2012, diagnosed with lean PCOS (didn't see that coming!)  medicated cycles 1 - 4 = BFN
    cycle 5 - metformin, femara 7.5mg, IUI #1, progesterone = BFP!!!
    beta #1 (13dpiui) 37, beta #2 (15dpiui) 104, u/s at 6w5d hb of 115
  • Options
    I was on the pill wehn i turned 16 after an embarrising moment with my bf, and being caught by his mom (she is the one taht took me down.) i went off of it about two months before i started dating DH and we ahd my son in December of 2010 i got an iud was on that for two months after DS was born, and then had it taken out i was on BCP for four months after that before they started making me sick, and on Nov of 2011 we were pregnant with DS #2. I just up and stopped taking them one day and my body adjusted fine within about a month. Now if you are on Depo that is a TOTALLY different story, I older sister was on it for four years, and after being off it for a year is still trying to get her body to adjust. Her and her hubby have been trying for four months with no luck yet. Good luck. I hope maybe taht helped a lil.
  • Options
    imageMs5586:

I went off the pill with all thoughts that it would take some time to conceive.

I got pregnant 2-3 weeks later...

Make sure you are really ready before you stop taking it.

This.  I bled for a week, ovulated a couple weeks later, and had a BFP two weeks after that.  My OB claims fertility can be increased right after going off the pill.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"