Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Laundry detergent not removing smells...

I currently use Trader Joe's laundry detergent for all my family;s needs. But with my newborn, who has acid reflux and spits up on EVERYthing, the detergent does not seem to be removing the smell of her spitup from clothing and burp clothes. Is there something natural I can add to aid? Or some kind of natural fragrance I can add to help the clothing smell better?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Laundry detergent not removing smells...

• Options
    I haven't used TJ's detergent but your loundry should not have an unpleasant odor after washing. I've had this issue when I didn't use enough detergent, when I had detergent build up, and when my washing machine needed to be cleaned. I use Planet detergent, which works well for us. You could use rlr to remove any detergent build up if you think that may be the problem and I use the washing machine self-cleaning cycle every few months, otherwise all loads I do start to have a slight smell. You could use EO in your dryer if you want to add a smell to the clean loundry.
    2007 BFP#1 MMC 12w; 2008 BFP#2 DS1; 2010 BFP#3 DS2; 2011 TTC; 2013 Pursuing DIA
  • Options
    Maybe try putting some white vinegar in the wash water. It helps soften fabric too.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Add 1/2 cup baking soda to rinse cycle
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I share my washer/dryer with two others in my triplex, so it very well could be detergent buildup in the machine or the machine itself needing cleaning...unfortunately not a lot I can do about that. But, I'm going to try the baking soda and vinegar suggestions. I already tried the tea tree oil suggestion...it seemed to help some, but not entirely. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"