3rd Trimester
Options

GD--VENT!

Ok, so I had to go for the 3 hr test and while I didn't pass the 1st hr draw I passed the 2nd and 3rd.

I am a relatively small person (normally--when I am not pregnant), so drinking 100 mg of syrup is going to make anyone's sugar spike. Anyway so my doctor is making me take a 90 minute diabetes self managment education class and I have to test myself.

The only thing is I have no instructions other than that from the nurse! So I don't know when or how often to test, so I am not doing anything until I see my doctor on Wed. After I failed the 1 hr I already changed my diet. (I still have sweets, but have cut down on my carbs and uped my protien (which has been wonderful on my already tempermental digestive system :(.)

I really don't want to do this, the idea of pricking myself 6 times a day makes me want to cry/vomit (I cannot stand the sight of my own blood). Plus it is just one more thing I have to deal with now.

My pregnancy was so easy at the begining it is like my body is giving up at the end and it pisses me off (I'm a major control freak, so I don't like it when my body doesn't do what I tell it to).

I'm hoping if I can test well for 2-3 weeks the doc will let me stop since I wasn't really that far from passing my 3hr.

Anyone else have to do this?

Thanks for letting me vent...Today has really sucked!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: GD--VENT!

• Options
    Did you fail your fasting draw as well?  Failing 1 draw is generally considered a pass - with a caveat to watch your carb intake.  Failing your fasting number is an automatic diagnosis from what I have been told.
    BabyFetus Ticker Blessed with a girl and boy, number 3 due 5/5/12!
  • Options
    No, I passed my fasting, just failed the 1 hr draw.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is my first baby and first experience with GD. I had no prior risk factors and failed both the 1 and 3 hour by a small amount. The 90 min class is very helpful and showed me that even my previous eating "healthy" efforts were off a bit and causing my sugar to spike. I was pretty upset at first but have really settled into the diet, and the testing isn't that bad. It doesn't hurt, just more of an inconvenience when you have to carry the monitor everywhere to test 2 hours after eating. I feel healthier and less tired overall. Good luck to you!
  • Options

Honestly, it's not that bad. I'm a type 1 diabetic. I thought I was going to have a hard time giving myself injections, but now I couldn't care less...I just do it and get it over with.

I also don't test on my fingers. I test on my forearm because I have extremely sensitive fingers (when anyone pokes my fingers I almost cry, pathetic I know). I only allow my fingers to get poked in the hospital, but those feel like daggers going in to my bones. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It truly is not so bad, I promise! I used to be petrified of needles of any type, so the thought of testing 4+ times a day scared me to no end! I was diagnosed early on, so it has been a long while for me, but it really does get easier. I also think people with fear of blood/needles will end up sooo much better for it. Seriously, I cannot convey how proud of myself I am for overcoming this hurdle in life.

I have also had to start doing my own injections and even those are not so bad. The 90 course should let you know when to test, if not, ask your OB what he/she wants.

After the first week, it gets to be almost nothing. I used to be so shy about testing and would run into a bathroom or not do it in public, but now I am much more at ease with it. You gotta do what you gotta do to stay healthy for your baby. At least GD is something you can seriously do something about and be really proactive.

imageimage
  • Options

Having GD isn't the end of the world.  You will get used to pricking your finger.  I've had it twice, this pregnancy in particular I've had it since the very beginning. Be thankful that you only have to deal with it for a few weeks rather than the entire pregnancy.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"