Baby Showers
Options

gift opening for large party

My wife and I are planning a large, picnic-type shower/party that will be co-ed and child-friendly.  There will be food, drinks, lawn games, etc and we have a rather large guest list.  I'm torn about what to do for gift opening as it is not a traditional shower but I also feel the need to pay respect to people who bring gifts.  If I sit and open them all, it may take hours, but I also know that some people love to see all that stuff. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Re: gift opening for large party

• Options

I'm torn on this also since I wanted our shower co-ed and more fun less cutesy. Some mentioned to make an announcement and ask guests that would like their gifts opened to let you know. Another idea is to open them off to the side or just as people come in and not make a big deal of it. Good luck!!

• Options

A couple of questtions...

Are you hosting this yourself?

Are you including registry info on the invite?

The answers will dictate my response.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageshindle:

Another idea is to open them off to the side or just as people come in.

I like this idea. Since it's child-friendly and you're throwing it together, how about you make an announcement (at the shower/party) "ok, MTB is going to open gifts now, so if all you children would like to come join me over here, we're going to play a fun game"? That way, you don't have to worry about the cihldren getting bored, and your guests can decide whether they want to watch you open gifts or watch/play with their children (I'm guessing, since it's co-ed, both parents will be there in most cases?). Some people might say that attracting attention to your wife opening gifts seems grabby, though, so this depends on how you think your guests will handle the idea.

• Options

If you are hosting your own shower (whether or not is it "non-traditional), stop. Please don't.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageCranang:

Yep. This. Need answers.

• Options
    imagemabenner1:

If you are hosting your own shower (whether or not is it "non-traditional), stop. Please don't.

Especially because it sounds like a huge shin-dig.  Totally gift grabby if it is being portrayed as a shower and is that big.  Call it a party, find some other name for it, but calling it a shower means gifts are expected.  And it is never okay to ask for gifts.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would open all the gifts at the party.  People want to see your reaction to the present they brought you.  I would make it a more casual thing though.  Maybe have someone make an announcement like "Blah Blah is going to open gifts now, feel free to head over to xyz if you want to watch."  That way people won't feel like they have to sit there for hours watching you open gift after gift.
  • Options
    our shower is going to be the same, big and coed... Im guessing that the gift opening will be announced for whomever would like to watch. my hostesses will probably help me with everything to move things along
  • Options
    imageCranang:

I am not hosting myself - my mother and sister-in-law will be hosting.  Registry info will be included on the invite.

• Options

Yes, you need to open your gifts.  Your guest list may be large, but remember you're not getting a gift per guest - you'll more likely get a gift from each family attending.  It will take about 1 minute per gift, so 1 hour tops at 60 families - which is getting a bit ridiculous as far as guest lists go anyhow.  Because assuming an average of 3 people per family, you're heading towards 200 guests. That's more than most people invite to their wedding.

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageprofessorplum:
    My wife and I are planning a large, picnic-type shower/party.

imageprofessorplum:

I am not hosting myself - my mother and sister-in-law will be hosting.

Color me confused. If your mother and SIL are hosting, why are you planning anything?

• Options
    Make sure that the hosts allow for time to open gifts.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options

Why not have the kids open the gifts while the men drink and play cornhole and the women prepare the food and then clean up afterwards?

I'm joking, but you know that's what's going to happen anyways. If you want to be polite about it though, your husband should take a break from cornhole and the 2 of you should open up each and every gift withuot any help, and express your sincere gratitude to each and every giver. You can let your MIL and SIL write down who gave what if you really want to make them feel like hostesses.

• Options
    imagejociejones:

Why not have the kids open the gifts while the men drink and play cornhole and the women prepare the food and then clean up afterwards?

I'm joking, but you know that's what's going to happen anyways. If you want to be polite about it though, your husband should take a break from cornhole and the 2 of you should open up each and every gift withuot any help, and express your sincere gratitude to each and every giver. You can let your MIL and SIL write down who gave what if you really want to make them feel like hostesses.

The OP mentioned a wife.  So the OP is either a male or in a same-sex marriage.  Not that it really changes anything.

Either way, this whole post is confusing and seems to have some uncover backpedaling.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagesrs5624:

imageprofessorplum:

imageprofessorplum:

Color me confused. If your mother and SIL are hosting, why are you planning anything?

Maybe because planning and hosting can mean two different things. There is nothing wrong with the guest(s) of honor to help with the planning. DH and I have very specific ideas of what we would like for our co-ed shower. We will be involved in every aspect of the planning. However it will technically be hosted by someone else.
  • Options
    imageJessii266:
    imagesrs5624:

imageprofessorplum:

imageprofessorplum:

Maybe because planning and hosting can mean two different things. There is nothing wrong with the guest(s) of honor to help with the planning. DH and I have very specific ideas of what we would like for our co-ed shower. We will be involved in every aspect of the planning. However it will technically be hosted by someone else.

Ah... you're one of "those".

See, usually when people host a party, that means that they're planning it. My mom and sister hosted my shower. They asked me what kind of cake I wanted. That's it. I'm not rude enough to dictate what type of gift my mom and sister should bestow upon me.

• Options
    imageJessii266:
    imagesrs5624:

imageprofessorplum:

imageprofessorplum:

No, what you're doing is hosting your party but having someone else pay for it.

• Options
    imageJessii266:
    imagesrs5624:

imageprofessorplum:

imageprofessorplum:

Aren't you a peach...

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    imagemabenner1:
    imageJessii266:
    imagesrs5624:

imageprofessorplum:

imageprofessorplum:

Well in all honesty we would plan, host and pay if we could. However society has deemed that tacky and therefore because of these so called social rules we can not do that. I am sorry but this is my shower, a once in a life time even that not everyone gets to have. Why would I not want a say in how it goes.
  • Options
    imageJessii266:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageJessii266:
    imagesrs5624:

imageprofessorplum:

imageprofessorplum:

Well in all honesty we would plan, host and pay if we could. However society has deemed that tacky and therefore because of these so called social rules we can not do that. I am sorry but this is my shower, a once in a life time even that not everyone gets to have. Why would I not want a say in how it goes.

Because it is a gift to you from someone else.

• Options
    imageLiz4444:
    imageJessii266:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageJessii266:
    imagesrs5624:

imageprofessorplum:

imageprofessorplum:

This.   And, society has norms and rules for (most) things that are legit. For example, society looks down upon beating your animals. I guess you could beat your dog if you really want to, just like you could host your own shower, but we as outsiders have the right to judge the sh!t out of you for it.

• Options
    imagemabenner1:
    imageLiz4444:
    imageJessii266:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageJessii266:
    imagesrs5624:

imageprofessorplum:

imageprofessorplum:

This.   And, society has norms and rules for (most) things that are legit. For example, society looks down upon beating your animals. I guess you could beat your dog if you really want to, just like you could host your own shower, but we as outsiders have the right to judge the sh!t out of you for it.

Actually, animal cruelty is illegal. There is a difference between illegal and bad etiquette.
  • Options
    imageJessii266:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageLiz4444:
    imageJessii266:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageJessii266:
    imagesrs5624:

imageprofessorplum:

imageprofessorplum:

Actually, animal cruelty is illegal. There is a difference between illegal and bad etiquette.

Not everywhere.  Fine, how bout marrying your cousin?  Perfectly legal in most states but nasty.

• Options
    imageJessii266:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageLiz4444:
    imageJessii266:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageJessii266:
    imagesrs5624:

imageprofessorplum:

imageprofessorplum:

Bad etiquette should be illegal.

• Options
    imageLiz4444:
    imageJessii266:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageLiz4444:
    imageJessii266:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageJessii266:
    imagesrs5624:

imageprofessorplum:

imageprofessorplum:

Bad etiquette should be illegal.

Etiquette = opinion. You can not regulate that.
  • Options
    imageJessii266:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageJessii266:
    imagesrs5624:

imageprofessorplum:

imageprofessorplum:

The importance some people place on showers amazes me. A once in a lifetime event is your wedding or the birth of your child; not a party.

Unless your host specifically asks for your input, you need to back off. Your day won't be ruined if every detail isn't exactly how you imagined it. If it is, you're far too ungrateful to have someone plan a shower for you in the first place.

• Options

I think some people are forgetting that some hosts DO want things to be decided by the mom/dad to be. My stepmom emailed me and said she wants to have a shower for us, suggested it be co-ed since she already guessed we'd like it that way, and asked me specific questions regarding where I'd want it, when, who, cake appearance, invitations... I had to stop her, because she offered to just give me her credit card number to order the invites and put my number/address on them and send them myself. I told her I'd gladly order the (pre printed) invites, make sure it includes return labels with her/my dad's address, and all she'd have to do is put them in the envelopes, address them, and send them out. 

Her attitude is that she wants to do this for us, but if I have ideas and can save her some deliberation, she's all for it. Meanwhile, the only thing I insisted on without being asked was that it not be held at their house--they have 3 cats and even if the shower was outside, MIL wouldn't be able to go in to use the bathroom because she is violently allergic to cats. I do agree that it's pretty crappy to answer "can I throw your shower?" with "Sure! Here's how it has to be..." 

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • Options

Beating a dead horse is also frowned upon but some of you tacky gift grabbers (cough cough handburger cough) make us do it all of the time on this board. We don't like to beat the poor dead horsey, but we have no choice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry that this post got so out of hand.  I was really just looking for some interesting, creative ideas, and thought this was a safe place to ask.  I didn't expect the symantics of my original post to be pulled apart, or the intricacies of my shower/party details to become such important details.  I simply wanted to brainstorm different ideas that might help both myself and others in regards to gift opening.  Thank you to posters who contributed such ideas.
  • Options

imageprofessorplum:
    I'm sorry that this post got so out of hand.  I was really just looking for some interesting, creative ideas, and thought this was a safe place to ask.  I didn't expect the symantics of my original post to be pulled apart, or the intricacies of my shower/party details to become such important details.  I simply wanted to brainstorm different ideas that might help both myself and others in regards to gift opening.  Thank you to posters who contributed such ideas.

You want an idea in regards to gift opening, do it.  There are no other polite ideas. 

• Options

I for one do not see a problem with what you asked however I also come from one of those amazing families who don't always follow "etiquette" but have a good time. We help eachother out for all family event even if it is our own event do yea my aunt who is technically hosting in everyone else's book will be recieving  help from me. I'm going to help cook and clean for the shower ( I know Gasp!) but she also asked for my opinion on somethings. Also I have seen a shower with 30 some people where people gift wrapped individually entire laundry baskets of things so no gifts can take way more than one minute to open. For my best friend between her and dh moving at a reasonable polite speed it took 3 hours to Open gifts I understand why  you wouldn't want to spend all day doing it

• Options
    imagecouliegirl:

Beating a dead horse is also frowned upon but some of you tacky gift grabbers (cough cough handburger cough) make us do it all of the time on this board. We don't like to beat the poor dead horsey, but we have no choice.

Don?t pretend you know anything about me. No one said anything about being a gift grabber. I see nothing wrong with wanting to celebrate our first child the way we want to celebrate. Frankly gifts have nothing to do with it. Personally expecting someone to host, pay for and plan the entire event seems rude to me. I guess being a princess on my high horse is just NMS.
  • Options
    imageJessii266:
    imagecouliegirl:

Don?t pretend you know anything about me. No one said anything about being a gift grabber. I see nothing wrong with wanting to celebrate our first child the way we want to celebrate. Frankly gifts have nothing to do with it. Personally expecting someone to host, pay for and plan the entire event seems rude to me. I guess being a princess on my high horse is just NMS.

It makes no sense to host and pay for your own shower. If you are going to do this you might as well skip the shower keep the money and use it to buy the things you need for the baby. Why would people want to bring you gifts if your spending money on a party that could be used on your the baby. MAKES NO SENSE. 

I don't think being a princess has anything to do with it. It's just common sense the the MTB doesn't come out of her pocket for a shower with money she could be spending on the baby. Defeats the whole purpose of the shower. If you want to throw a party you can do that, just don't register for gifts or call it a shower because if your paying for it, it is not a shower...it is a break even.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageJessii266:
    imagecouliegirl:

OH SNAP!  "You don't know me!!!"

Please.

I know YOU don't see anything wrong with "wanting to celebrate our first child the way we want to celebrate."  That's the problem...you're feeling entitled because you're knocked up. If you think it's rude to have someone host, pay for and plan your shower, then you shouldn't have one...end of story.  A shower is something someone offers to you as a gift...the party IS the gift.  If you want to have a party to celebrate and do everything yourself, then don't put the registry info on there and don't call it a shower, because by definition it can't BE a shower.  If you honestly don't see anything with gathering a group of your friends and family together and telling them to bring you presents, which is what a shower is--a gift-giving event, then you're never going to get it and shouldn't peruse this board anymore.  The ladies here aren't going to stroke your hair and tell you that it's OK to be rude as long as you're happy.

And yes, you're putting WAY, WAY too much importance on a baby shower.  Like the PP said, it's not a wedding, it's not the birth of your baby.  It is simply a party where people buy you crap, half of which you'll never use.  A couple of years from now, you'll seriously think back and wonder what you thought the big deal was.

• Options
    Yes, you need to open your gifts since it is being called a shower and you have registered. Like others have said, an announcement can be made and just do it off to the side...and have some chairs for people to sit at and watch.  Just have lots of help (also like others have said) so someone brings you the gift, another writes down who it is from, another displays the gifts on a table, etc, and yet another cleans up the wrappings.
  • Options
    I hate gift opening at showers, but some people seem to expect it. At a shower like that I would just pick a certain time, tell a few people and then start. If people want to watch, they can wander over, if not, it's ok too. I would cut out all gifts from immediate family, so that you can get to the other guests gifts first. Your mom/MIL probably wouldn't be at bummed if you didn't open it for everybody to see.
  • Options
    imagesrs5624:

imageprofessorplum:

imageprofessorplum:

This is such a Bump thing...I've never hosted or had a shower that the MTB didn't have some say in things. Why are people always shocked about that? 

• Options

Yikes! ...and I am going to carefully put my two cents in. Just a personal opinion. Society has lots of "Dos" and "Donts" and blah blah blahs. But honestly, who cares. Some hosts ask if the person receiving the shower would like to be involved. Who gives a hoot? Who gives a hoot if you throw your own baby shower? I don't. I am happy enough for the person having the shower. A shower in itself is about fun, life, love, happiness... and yes gifts. Lets be honest. And my husband and I threw our own wedding.... people brought gifts. Honestly, I don't think it's a big deal. Our society has changed in a multitude of ways. Ladies we talk about etiquette but being rude to a fellow bumpie isn't very good etiquette. 

I don't want to continue the argument by any means, and I understand I am contributing to it. I just really felt like sharing my opinion about that. Especially since the poor thing is getting bashed. That's not right.  

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    and one other thing... you need to consider the fact that we all create a registery. In doing so this is saying hey these are things I need and would gladly accept with the most sincere thanks. So if throwing a shower is bad... wouldn't a registry be bad etiquette as well? Just something to think about.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageJenniefer2008:
    and one other thing... you need to consider the fact that we all create a registery. In doing so this is saying hey these are things I need and would gladly accept with the most sincere thanks. So if throwing a shower is bad... wouldn't a registry be bad etiquette as well? Just something to think about.

Wow, Jennifer!  You're so insightful!  You've given us all so much to think about...

You're missing the point.  A wedding isn't a gift giving event.  A wedding SHOWER is solely to receive gifts...a wedding isn't.  Now people do get gifts, but it's not "mandatory" for a wedding.  For a shower, it is.

As far as registries go, you're not require to buy off them.  It is simply a traditional list of things that you need for your home (wedding shower) or nursery (baby shower).  You're not telling people what to buy.  You're not saying "you need to buy me this carseat."  They have the choice of purchasing whatever they want. The registry info is provided only as a courtesy to the guests if they would like to purchase something off of it, which has become traditional.  You're grasping at straws.  Society has rules for a reason...etiquette isn't something that goes out of style. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"