June 2011 Moms

If you won the lottery would you still work (clicky poll)

Speaking about dreaming about winning the lottery... If you did win the lottery, would you quit your job?[Poll]
BabyFetus Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Rainbow baby, EDD 7/8/14, missed miscarriage 12/5/13. 

Re: If you won the lottery would you still work (clicky poll)

• i think i would definitely want to keep some sort of career, but i'd probably go to part-time so that i'd have more time to get things done around the house (and supervise the major renovation i'd use my lottery winnings on).  i think that my kids really benefit from being in daycare/pre-school, so i'd want them to continue going for the learning and interaction.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm only saying SS because I wouldn't quit immediately!  I'd finish up the project I'm working on, that I absolutely love working on, and then quit!  Plus, I'd tell them upfront - dude, as soon as this is done I'm out of this place!

Then, I would be a SAHM, send Ty to DC a few days a week because he loves it and I think that he's striving in the atmosphere.  While he's a DC I'll concentrate on building my food blog since I'm passionate about it, but don't have nearly as much time as I'd want!

And, I'd hire someone to clean my house.  We wouldn't move right away because my grandmas house is our dream house and the longer she's in it, the longer she's with us, and that's perfect in my book!

• Loading the player...
  • I put SS. I'm currently a SAHM, but I plan on returning to work part-time when the right opportunity comes about. My previously employer would not let me reduce my hours, so I quit my job in Dec to SAH with DD. If I won the lottery, I would probably work part-time or per diem, even if just a day or two during the week, just to keep up my skills (I'm a pharmacist). 
    BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • If I won the lottery, I would just be a perpetual student. I love school so much! I would probably go part time and get degrees in everything that piques my interest. 
  • imageRLH315:
    If I won the lottery, I would just be a perpetual student. I love school so much! I would probably go part time and get degrees in everything that piques my interest. 

You know what. That is an absolutely great idea. I loved college as well and I wouldn't mind learning something new. 

BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • kas80kas80 member
    I don't work now, so I wouldn't work after we won the lottery either.  We would buy a house in cash but my husband would probably still work.  For the most part, he likes his job.  Though, he'd probably go to grad school to try to further his career.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't really know what I would do. I voted that I would still work because I love my job teaching physical education and am home by 2:30 everyday. I think my husband would be the SAHD because he definitely doesn't love his career.
  • I think I would take a few days off to process the information and let it sink in, but I would return to work.  Even with that amount of money, I think it would be irresponsible to say 'I'm rich, eff work.'  I think this is what gets a lot of these overnight millionaires into trouble is that they up and quit their jobs after winning the lottery.

While I'd return to work after a few days off, I think I'd evaluate the situation as a whole.  I would probably quit my job eventually, and with grace, to focus on Stella, travel some...but also work on the MBA as well as get DH to finish the schooling he wants to do since we could now afford both of us to do so without student loans.  I would plan to return to work on a part time basis once she is in school...or even a full time basis.

• kas80kas80 member

You know what I would do though?  Hire a babysitter for one afternoon a week and a cleaning person. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't work now (teacher, no jobs available), but think I would still look for a job. I have always wanted a classroom of my own. I think my hubby would still work too, but I'd pay for parents to retire so they could live by us, and watch DS. 
  • I'm a teacher... I would go to subbing because I love teaching, but I'd take at least 2 days a week to be with DS. I love being a mommy, but SAH is not for me! But, more importantly, DH would be able to get out of the job he hates and do more of his "fun" job (teaching paramedic classes). I'd want DS to stay in daycare at least part time - it's good for development and he is very social! He'd be bored with me!
    Our miracle has arrived! Benjamin Aaron, born 6/23/11 image
    Picture courtesy of Heidi Keene Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I voted "I SAH..." but I do work per-diem (a few days a month).  It is perfect, and I can't imagine just quitting altogether.  I love my job, but it would be nice to not have to worry about the money aspect of getting canceled all the time.  Also, I would definitely at least send DS1 to preschool/daycare a couple days a week because he would LOVE interacting with other kids more frequently.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • This is the first poll that I've chosen the SS for! I would quit work and go back to school full time to become a midwife and then I would work. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I voted I'd quit, but it would have to be A LOT!  I would quit, take some time off, travel the world, then open my own wedding business!
  • A much as I want to SAH I couldn't right now, even if we won the lottery.  DH has to have a good steady job before I'd ever give this one up.  I don't love my job, but I have the best boss, and I KNOW I'd never get any better if I had to go back to work.  Depending on how much I won I would absolutely go part time because I could always go back to FT if we needed it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • I'd soooooooooooo quit!!!! My whole department (attorneys and staff) all threw in money and everyone has said how great it would be if all never worked again. I'm going to be a SAHM after Peanut is born in October so I guess it would just give me a head start.

• We would probably both quit our jobs ( mine is only part time anyway) and start a family business. I think its important for LO to have at least one working parent to model his own behavior on.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • no way. I work 2 days a week now and could find better things to fill those days with! I am so busy at home and would love more time for everything I want to do
  • Depends on how much I win. DH and I already calculated how much we need to stop working and still live comfortably until we are 100...about 10 million bucks. If we win more than that (come on, Mega Millions!) we would both quit our jobs. DH would start his own gunsmithing business and I would do a mix of volunteering, open a craft store on Etsy, and maybe start some sort of foundation. I love my job, but I feel like I could reach so many more people if I had the means to spend my time volunteering and doing nonprofit work. DD would still go to daycare 2-3 days a week because I think its important for me to have "mom" time and have some sort of career and for her to have "kiddo" time with other kids her age.

• I'd definitely still work, but probably not at my current job. I'd do something part time. My Mom and I just discussed this earlier today and we said we'd work at a jewelery store - for the benefits of jewelery at cost or at least discounted!
    ~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • klvklv member

Work? No.

I would do a lot of volunteering though. And Hannah would still go to daycare. She loves it there!

• imageLaceFace14:
    This is the first poll that I've chosen the SS for! I would quit work and go back to school full time to become a midwife and then I would work. 
    Oooh, I like this one! Yes!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Rainbow baby, EDD 7/8/14, missed miscarriage 12/5/13. 
  • imagecvl105:
    I'd definitely still work, but probably not at my current job. I'd do something part time. My Mom and I just discussed this earlier today and we said we'd work at a jewelery store - for the benefits of jewelery at cost or at least discounted!

This.  Only I think I'd like to work at or own an ice cream shop.  I used to work at an ice cream place and it was my favorite job. 

• I couldn't understand why so many of you were saying you would continue working and then realized you were SPECIFICALLY talking about the 540 million dollar lottery. My husband and I have talked about how much money we would have to win (free and clear) for him to quit his job and what we would do with say $500K, 50K, 5K..etc.

5K would just go into savings and toward getting our cars fixed

50K we'd redo the yard and put in a sprinkler system, fix the cars and update some appliances and the rest in savings

500K we'd update the entire house and buy two new cars and put the money into savings AND toward private school for kids.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I chose SS because I would be a SAHM until Ash started school. At that point I would find a job or volunteer opportunity that would be helping others and be fulfilling. Just something part time, to devote some time to while Ash (and future LO's) are otherwise occupied.
  • I would quit my job eventually to start  making things like (hairbows, tutus, all of that girly stuff) and sell it.
  • I would quit this job for sure!  Then at some point either open a family buisness or do something part time that I felt was rewarding.  My current job is totally not rewarding in the least!
  • I voted that I'd like to SAH, but I do think it's important for LO to be around other babies and also to learn to be independent.  Since being home from the hospital (where I was with DS 24/7 and slept in the bed with him), he is SUPER needy and freaks the eff out when I set him down and walk away, even if he can still see me.  So if I can afford it, I think I might have DS in day care part time (like half days M-W-F) so I can get stuff done, make appointments, etc.
  • I've always planned that, should I win the lottery, I would open up a bakery/bistro that I could work at when I felt like, but could still stay home with the D-meister when I wanted to.

And Then There Were Three...
    Married: 08/14/10
    Baby #1 Born: 06/18/11
    June Moms Blog
  • Hell to the yeah I would quit. I even told my boss if I win, I won't be in on Monday! lol

I'd probably keep Alex in Daycare though, and pursue a lot more of my crafts. :) I'm sure I wouldn't send him to daycare everyday, just enough to keep him social. :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagekimbo1216:
    I voted I'd quit, but it would have to be A LOT!  I would quit, take some time off, travel the world, then open my own wedding business!

You're the first person I thought of when I read the title of this post.  I thought, huh.  Kimbo would open a wedding shop.  

I'd SAH for at least a few years, but I'm sure I'd try to find a .5 position doing Reading pull-out or something when my youngest (assuming I have more) starts Kindergarten.  

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• i would quit my current job and open a dinner theater with DH. i'd also hire a housekeeper :)
  • My department pitched in and we have 70 tickets for tonight. All my co-workers were saying that you wouldn't see them on Monday if we won. I honestly told them I would be there since I really care about my job/company. With that being said, I would probably cut back to to 2 or 3 days a week vs. the 4 I work now. I really enjoy what I do but also think it's healthy (at least for me) to continue to practice in my field.

DH also bought 40 tickets for tonight. So I've got a total of 110 chances and I'm feeling lucky!!!!

• I would want to take classes, travel, and volunteer. I voted SS- I wouldn't stay at my current position (which is PT), but I would want to have some responsibilities outside of the home. 

Money is basically the only thing keeping me from getting me MFA in creative writing. If I were to do that, I would want to write regularly and teach, at least PT. 

I'd also love to be a doula, if MH didn't have to work either, so he could watch LO. Oh, and I want to be a childbirth educator. And a breast feeding educator. And do presentations on other reproductive health topics.

Ha ha, I think I'd need to win the lottery and get one of those time turners from Harry Potter.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"