Multiples
Options

Question about 1st ob appt?

I remember when I had my ob appt with my twins we had our appt at 5wks. Now I just found out that we are expecting again. I called for appt and they said that they don't see patients now till you are between 8-10wks. So now I have my appt for May 3rd. Is it really okay to wait that long? Was anybody else in this situation?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question about 1st ob appt?

• Options
    My OB doesn't see patients until 10 weeks unless there is bleeding or some other problem early. I think that's pretty typical.
  • Options

Yea I was 9wks when I first saw my OB - totally normal. 

My question is, how was your pregnancy with the twins?  If it was pretty normal and uncomplicated then this is the standard.  But if you had issues that required you to be seen right away then I would question it.  

The other question...when you had your appt. with the twins at 5wks, was it because of IVF and they knew early that it was twins?  Is there a reason with this pregnancy to possible suspect twins again?  

BTW - I am no expert, but these are the questions I would ask myself =)

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I didn't realize this was the standard.. I was just concerned because of having twins with my 1st pregnancy and I had some issues with my cervix at 20wks where I had a cerlage put into place. I was put on bedrest till I delievered. Also I had issues with my blood pressure  but that was more towards the end of the pregnancy.

• Options
    We didn't know we had twins until our first appointment--which was around 8-10 weeks...I was told it was standard practice. 
  • Options

Since we were IVF patients, we saw our RE for our 1st two ultrasounds and didn't officially see my OB until 12 weeks with this pregnancy.

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

• Options
    my RE kept me around there until i think 6 weeks but they refered me to an MFM. i'm horrible at dates but i remember i actually saw the mfm before seeing the ob. i know it had to have been before 12 weeks though because i had 2 mfm appts before end of first tri. i would ask your re for a referal to a MFM especailly given you history. i'm finding my ob is just doing to show up for the delivery but the MFM is managing most of my care through the pregnancy.
  • Options
    My OB practice doesn't typically see anyone until 10-12 weeks they said. The reasoning is that if something were to happen at that point, there's nothing they can do to help. God forbid something did happen, they would have you come in so they could figure out what was going on. 
  • Options

imageSwitzerland87:
    My OB doesn't see patients until 10 weeks unless there is bleeding or some other problem early. I think that's pretty typical.

I think we have to be friends because you have the BEST Bazinga clip in your siggy!!  I was laughsnorting and crying when I saw that one the first time!

And to OP, yes 10 weeks is the norm these days (and was for me with DS who is almost 2.5 now).  Not a whole lot they can do before 10 weeks if something isn't going right, ya know?

• Options
    while it may be standard to wait that long.....why not just request to be seen a little earlier...if blood work and an ultrasound will ease your mind along with discussing your previous pregnancy history/potential problems,  I can't see why your doc wouldn't be willing to see you.  be your own advocate...if you want to get in there, get in there:)  GL! 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

With my first they would not see me until 12 weeks, with my second I was with my RE (Fertility) and saw them at 7 and 10 weeks we m/c at 10 so it was good to see them, the OB office would not see me till 12. Now my RE saw me for an US at 6 and 7 weeks I have one more at 9weeks then since it is twins I will see MFM at 11 weeks. If you are unconfortable I would ask to see them sooner that is your right!

June 2004 BFP Aug 2005 Steven James Born TTC#2 Since July 2009 TI and Clomid BFP M/C Sept 2010 (Only with me for 10 weeks in my heart forever) IUI # 4 BFP!! Due 11/5/12 Praying for my sticky babies!! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"