Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

to buy or not to buy a diaper pail?

I am torn between sucking it up and taking out the diaper each time the baby is changed and just buying a diaper pail.  What do you use?  Is it worth it?  TIA!  =)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: to buy or not to buy a diaper pail?

• Options
    I have a $16 diaper pail from BRU. It was a gift. I can't imagine taking out a diaper every time I changed the baby during the night, which is when I'd use the diaper pail since it's in the nursery.  Totally worth the money.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Really, you won't get the stinky diapers until LO is eating food.  This was my experience anyway w/ a BFd baby.  So I just threw them into an open garbage can and it was never a problem. 

Once the diapers had more of a smell, my dog got interested and the only way I could keep her from tearing them up was by getting a diaper pail.  The poopy diapers go right into the garage, but it isn't feasible to make a trip to the garage for each wet and dirty diaper - for me anyway. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Short answer: Yes. Get one. Get one that has a lid. 

I am definitely getting a diaper pail (probably the Diaper Genie), because I really don't see myself wrapping up my baby warmly (I'm due in October), walking down a flight of stairs in the cold (I always use the rail, and the stairs are pretty steep here. I wouldn't want to risk falling up or down them with a baby), getting to the dumpster and struggling to open it, shutting it, walking back in the probably freezing cold, and then probably have another diaper to change.

Also, I would get one that at least has a lid to close. I worked in a child care center for three years, and every time I worked in the infant room (there were babies from 6 weeks to 1.5 years old), the garbage can smelled AWFUL. Like, it made me want to barf when I wasn't pregnant. And it was in a shut sliding door type of thing.

• Options
    I am happy that I have one. Nursery is upstairs and I only use the diaper pail when I change his diaper in his room. If we're downstairs, I have a diaper caddy and just change him and run the diaper out to the garbage in the garage. I probably wouldn't have gotten a diaper genie, but my Grandma bought me one because "I just had to have one." The refills are expensive, but I find that since we really only use it for 1/2 of the diapers a day, it's not that bad. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We use the diaper genie elite, and I really love it.  It definitely contains the smell-- 8 months in and no complaints!
  • Options

Do NOT take a diaper out every time - because sometimes things get messy and you need a place to throw things immediately. 

We do not have a fancy diaper pail - we have a stainless steel step can.  We have been using it 19 months so far and love it.  It will be DD's trash can after we're done with diapers.

• Options
    i have the munchkin arm & hammer diaper pail. this kid has had some eye-watering stinky diapers, but once it's in the pail i don't smell it again. it seals the bag when you shut it after throwing a diaper in there and puts a dust of baking soda in there. i absolutely love it.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    You'll definitely need something right next to the changing area, but I just use a stainless steel trashcan with a lid and never wished I had a diaper pail. We just take out the trash often, and her room has never smelled. (We'll see if I can still say that in a year when she's processing more of the solids she's eating though!)
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageCarlaAndJames:
    You'll definitely need something right next to the changing area, but I just use a stainless steel trashcan with a lid and never wished I had a diaper pail. We just take out the trash often, and her room has never smelled. (We'll see if I can still say that in a year when she's processing more of the solids she's eating though!)

You'll still like your step can, I am going to guess.  You'll notice you'll want to empty it more (but the diapers gets bigger as they do, and take up more room!).

• Options

we use a plastic bag hung on our bathroom door and take it out each morning.  It does not smell with 1 days worth of diapers at all.  DS is 2 years old and I am expecting #2 in Sept and dont' intend to buy one this time eihter.

I think it is a personal preference however and some people seem to love them.  Personally they take up space and IMO still smell and are a PITA.  But to each their own:)

• Options
    We have the munchkin one and I couldn t live with out! Love the easiness of taking the bag in and out and the baking soda in the top you never smell the diaper. I have used the diaper genie seemed more complicated I like when it lets you know when its full and then clasp the bag and push through to the bottom open the door and pull the closed bag out. Yes it is that simple! then you put in a new bag through the top and put the clasp in the holders. Less than 5 min process. so worth the money :D
  • Options
    I wasn't going to register for one, but we ended up registering for the Munchkin one. We live on the 3rd floor and I can't imagine going out or sending my H down 3 flights of stairs every time the LO had a dirty diaper. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"