Cloth Diapering
Options

How long did you use prefolds and covers?

I am having a baby in July, and I have been following this board since about November. Smile  I decided to use mostly prefolds and covers, but was wondering if anyone here used prefolds and covers through most if not all of their child's diapering stage?

So far, I have bought and prepped the following:

2 dozen Green Mountain Diaper orange (newborn) prefolds

3 dozen Green Mountain Diaper yellow (infant) prefolds

4 Bummis Whisper Wraps (for Newborn stage)

For the next stage I was planning on getting about 8 Thirsties duo wrap size one covers, and then about 8 Thirsties duo wrap size two covers.  How many red and brown Green Mountain Diaper prefolds would I need, and/or do you suggest moving on to other diapers?  I registered for 12 Bumgenius 4.0 diapers for a little variety, but I am wondering if anyone else has a similar stash or suggestions?

Re: How long did you use prefolds and covers?

• Options

i love prefolds and covers.  But, I would recommend getting at least 4 more covers.  The NB covers fit great over my little man who was 6lbs 1oz at birth, and the orange edge are awesome.  The yellow edge worked folded over in the front.  I have 2 thirsties size 1 covers and while they work, they are really not my favorite.  I like the Bummis Super Brites a LOT.  Size small of the bummis is quite a bit larger than the NB size though.

I could definitely see doing PF and Covers all the way through, but I really like my Bum Genius AIO size xs for over nights more than having him sit in wet cotton. 

dx MF & FF IF
    Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
    IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
    Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
    Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
    Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
    Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I had 24 prefolds and 4 small thirsties covers that we used until LO was about 3-4 months old. I think you have plenty.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    bgf1bgf1 member

We used prefolds for the first 4-5 months.  Once my Lo started to get really wiggly on the change table they were not so easy to get on and off.  You may want to hold off on buying a lot of anyone thing until you see what works for you and your LO.  The other thing to consider before you buy anything that is more than one piece ( either fitteds or prefolds) is what you childcare situation would be.  My Lo's daycare will only use one piece cloth diapers ( AIO or pockets).  So  we can only use our fitteds and covers at home. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

PFs are our go-to daytime dipes. So DS still wears them (he'll be 2 in Aug.). DD is currently using yellow edge GMD PFs.

We will need to find something else for her because she is a super heavy wetter. She can saturate those things in a couple hours. She leaks when she does a long stretch of sleep (3 hrs.).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I personally hated prefolds.  I used them for about 2 weeks.  I do think they would be the way to go for NBs though - but I would wait to stock up for an older baby until you know that you like/dislike it. 

I'm a lazy CDer, so I like AIOs :)  But you can also use NB prefolds to stuff pockets for older babies. 

ttf21e9.aspx

ttf2202.aspx

• Options

I think you have plenty of orange and yellow dipes (we had two dozen of each, plus some KL0s and some BG sized). The Thirsties size one Duo wraps fit DS right away (he was 7lbs 2oz with skinny legs), so I'd recommend getting a few of those now, as I don't think 4 covers for the NB stage are enough.

DS has been in the red edge (we have two dozen, plus 18 BG 4.0s) from 5 mos. to the present, and he's about 25 lbs at 20 mos. I have a dozen brown edge that I need to prep, and we'll switch to those as soon as I do. We have 6 covers that fit him now, and that's more than we need, so I think you'd be fine with fewer than 8 Thirsties size two Duo wraps.

I still really like prefolds and covers, but pockets like the BG 4.0 are great for overnights or when we're out and I need to be quick with the dipe change.

BFP #1 10/27/2009 ~ DS1 ~ BIRTHday 7/16/2010 ~ med-free Bradley birth @ 40w5d
    BFP #2 1/22/2012 ~ DS2 & DD ~ BIRTHday 9/13/2012 ~ unplanned C-section @ 38w1d
    BFP #3 5/4/2015 ~ EDD 1/7/2016
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    You were all extremely helpful!! Thank you!  Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"