Working Moms
Options

Daycare and sleep

LO is starting daycare next week.  For all those moms using daycare, did it effect LO's sleep at night - for better or worse?

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Daycare and sleep

• Options
    DS slept better the first few weeks of day care-he even STTN for the 1st time that first week he went!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemabenner1:
    DS slept better the first few weeks of day care-he even STTN for the 1st time that first week he went!  

This! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS started 3weeks ago.  I haven't seen much of a change, but last night he slept from 10-4, which is progress!
  • Options
    Didn't change her night sleep, but neither of my girls slept at daycare at all for a long time.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    DS didn't have any big change except for not wanting to sleep at daycare for the first day or two. We brought a blanket from home for him to cuddle with and that seemed to help
  • Options
    LO moved her bedtime from 9ish to 7ish very quickly.  When the time changed, we kept the same bedtime, so it's now 8pm (7 was too early to get it all done, haha!).  She and I nap/nurse together when I get her at 4 for 1.5 hours.  She naps horribly at daycare but sleeps great at night.
  • Options
    From the very first day she backed her own bedtime up from 9pm to 6-7pm, and it's been that time ever since. They wear her out!
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I didn't see a huge change, but he did get some longer stretches in.  He did, however, do WONDERFUL naps (and still does, mostly) at daycare.  He naps terribly at home though, even though I've mimicked everything they do.  Oh well.
  • Options
    He started at 12 weeks old and stopped sttn when he started daycare.  I think it was a coincidence though with a growth spurt. 
  • Options
    I don't recall seeing a big difference when DS started.  Now the main difference is that since he switched to one nap/day, he naps much longer at daycare than he will at home.  Daycare claims to get 2 1/2 hours out of him on a regular basis.  At home we put him down at the same time on weekends and are lucky if he goes over an hour.
  • Options

imageMs5586:
    I didn't see a huge change, but he did get some longer stretches in.  He did, however, do WONDERFUL naps (and still does, mostly) at daycare.  He naps terribly at home though, even though I've mimicked everything they do.  Oh well.

Same here.

• Options

DD slept great the first week because she was exhausted.  But the next week she came down with a cold (be prepared for that!) and was getting up a few times a night.  Now, a month later, she is still getting up for 1 night feeding, and it totally varies on when that is.  Last night was 4;30, the night before was 1:45.  I think there are a few things going on: she is overtired from not sleeping at daycare, she misses me and wants more mommy time, and going through a growth sput.  I'll be sending more milk next week and that will hopefully keep her fuller longer.

Just be prepared for an adjustment.  Your LO is used to a certain routine of being home with mom, and that's changing.  It may take a few weeks to find a new normal.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I don't think it really affected his night time sleeping. It really affected his naps though. He barely slept/sleeps at day care. He is getting better now that he's moved to the 1 yr old room and they take one long nap where they turn off lights and turn on music, etc. Luckily, his sleep at night has never suffered.
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Options
    When he went to a room that he didn't sleep well in, he went to the bed for the night at 4:30 and then 5pm.  I know, it sounds great but it was really hard getting home in time to get him a full night's sleep (and I didn't get to spend any time with him)  We ended up getting a nanny so he could sleep later in the morning and get a better nap (and so I didn't have to 'waste' time on pick-up)
  • Options

It was the same, then worse, then better, then worse, then better...

I think it would have been the same with or without daycare.

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    He slept the same at night and daycare was able to get him on a good napping schedule as well (napping was a struggle for us before).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"