Baby Showers

Diaper Cakes

So give me the low down on these Diaper Cakes! My SIL wants one at her shower.

Are they hard to make? and also...I have seen some on etsy that seem pretty reasonably priced, so is better to just spend the money to have one made?

April 2013 DE IVF= BFN

September 2013 DE IVF (Fingers Crossed) = BFFFN! again...

October 2013 FET of our last 2 = Beta Hellzz for 6-7 Weeks. M/C

Re: Diaper Cakes

• The are pretty easy to make.  I watched a couple of YouTube videos and didn't have any problems making them.  But if you're not crafty then do the Etsy ones.  My only issue with ready to go diaper cakes, is you need to check on the type and size of diapers.  Some moms are really particular about which diapers they use (pampers vs. huggies, organic etc...)
    2001 Partial Oophorectomy. 2001-2010
  • They're easy to make. You can find simple instructions on just about any blog or pinterest. I wouldn't spend the extra money buying one...
    Oct Angel Babies Lilypie Maternity tickers BFP #1- 12/7/11 M/C-12/20/11 BFP #2- 2/14/12 EDD- 10/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • If you do buy one be careful. My niece spent $25 on one for my shower & there is absolutely no way it's worth that much! I swear it's the smallest thing I have ever seen. I think it's much smarter to make one yourself.
  • imagestinkerbell6879:

So give me the low down on these Diaper Cakes! My SIL wants one at her shower.

Are they hard to make? and also...I have seen some on etsy that seem pretty reasonably priced, so is better to just spend the money to have one made?

I don't know if you have found a site to help you, but I found this one, as I was curious to see how to make them as well. This looks extremely simple.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Diaper-Cake

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ANd I would use size 1's, not NB. 
  • imageCranang:
    ANd I would use size 1's, not NB. 

QFT.

NB diapers are short lived, if used at all. Better to have diapers sitting in the closet for later than to have a bunch of diapers that never did fit.

• My sister made one for my shower.  She's not super crafty but it turned out great.  She stuffed it with all sorts of toys and extra goodies for the baby.  I really appreciated the time, thought and effort she put into it.

(I'm a little irritated that your SIL is essentially demanding that you make one for her... but you don't seem annoyed, so maybe I'm just missing something or being extra cranky today).

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would definitely make one yourself. When you buy them they are never as they seem in the pictures and I personally would love a diaper cake made by my sister in law then if she just went and bought one. They are pretty easy to make and my coworker makes them for all of our baby shower and she spends about $40-$70.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebrittany&dain:

I would definitely make one yourself. When you buy them they are never as they seem in the pictures and I personally would love a diaper cake made by my sister in law then if she just went and bought one. They are pretty easy to make and my coworker makes them for all of our baby shower and she spends about $40-$70.

I already linked the wikihow tutorial. I find it annoying that you couldn't read what? 5? Other posts? 

• Ok, y'all don't get gender reveals, I don't get diaper cakes...what are they and what purpose do they serve?
  • imageKateMW:
    Ok, y'all don't get gender reveals, I don't get diaper cakes...what are they and what purpose do they serve?

I think the OP's sister is being a little strange in asking for one.

Usually it's just a gift idea. They are made with actual diapers that are usable, so I think it's kind of like giving a package of diapers (for a shower gift) but it a creative way.  A lot of times though, women will make them for centerpieces and then give the centerpieces to the MTB after the shower. I think it's an adorable idea.

• Alternative (and possibly more complicated) idea: A friend of mine received a diaper "bouquet," where a bunch of diapers were rolled up to look like little flowers, rubber banded, and put on wooden dowels and stuck in a big, clear vase.  Each of the wooden dowels had ribbons on it, and there was a big ribbon around the vase.  In the bottom of the vase were baby bath products.  Super cute, and an alternative to the cake! 
    My pregnancy blog: Great Texpectations BabyFruit Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imageKateMW:
    Ok, y'all don't get gender reveals, I don't get diaper cakes...what are they and what purpose do they serve?

Just a more creative way to give diapers as a gift.  My sister made one and stuffed the core with baby bottles and used baby spoons as the "candles."  She also put toys, bibs and washcloths around the outside as additional decoration.  It's the same as giving those items as gifts but it looks cute. 

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • So you actually use the diapers? Don't they get all messed up? I've honestly never seen one...weird I know.
  • imageChristyML:
    imagebrittany&dain:

I would definitely make one yourself. When you buy them they are never as they seem in the pictures and I personally would love a diaper cake made by my sister in law then if she just went and bought one. They are pretty easy to make and my coworker makes them for all of our baby shower and she spends about $40-$70.

I already linked the wikihow tutorial. I find it annoying that you couldn't read what? 5? Other posts? 

Haha, I like you! 

First question, do you want to give her a diaper cake as a gift?  It is a gift, not a part of the shower, unless you are choosing to do them as decor or something. 

Personally, I would buy one, but I'm lazy like that.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageRedheadBaker:
    imagesrs5624:

imageCranang:
    ANd I would use size 1's, not NB. 

QFT.

NB diapers are short lived, if used at all. Better to have diapers sitting in the closet for later than to have a bunch of diapers that never did fit.

Not always -- my son (born at 38 weeks, so not a preemie) was in them for two months. 

True that! DD was born at 39 weeks and in NB diapers and clothes for almost 2 months. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"