Two Under 2

2 cribs?

My 2 littles will be 20 months apart.  And I am thinking 2 cribs might be our best bet.  We are moving out of state and then have a new baby.  And i think if we took away LOs crib he might show signs of regression.  Or should we just get Lo a toddler bed? His current crib is a convertible crib and that is one reason why I think we should just do two cribs.

Re: 2 cribs?

• My girls are 19 months apart and we did not get a new crib. We kept the baby in our room for 5.5 months, giving us time to transition DD1 to her toddler bed in her new room. We had planned to move her around her birthday, but she chose to move herself at 23 months. If she hadn't been ready to move to the toddler bed when we wanted to put DD2 in the crib we might have considered a second crib, or one in the crib and one in the PNP until DD1 was ready, but I didn't want to spend the money unless we absolutely needed to.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My 2 are just 13.5 months apart so we definitely got 2 cribs.

But my DD is just about 20 months and there's no way she's ready for a toddler bed. Maybe just wait in the crib and see how your older one is closer to your DD.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ours are 22 months apart and we had a toddler bed given to us so we saw no reason to buy another crib. We actually transitioned my son early (18 months) because I was home over the summer and wanted to be sure the transition was working before school started again. He's done fine with it. I'm glad we did because if we hadn't done it early we were planning to wait until my daughter was 6 months (around when my son moved out of our room) to move him. Turns out my daughter started sleeping through the night super early (unlike my son who still doesn't) and we moved her out of our room around 6 weeks and it was nice to have my son's transition over with and a crib available for her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My girls are a little under 22 months apart and we got a 2nd crib. The first crib converts into a toddler bed, so that's what my oldest DD has been using (since she was 18 months, actually) and I don't see us getting rid of it for a while.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Our kids will be 22 months apart. He's 17 months now and we switched him to a toddler bed a couple weeks ago. Best decision ever. I do, however, suggest checking out the Supernanny technique to keep your toddler in bed (and I combined it with the attachment theory, too.) After three nights, he goes to bed no problem. This way we'll only have one crib. Good luck.
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My LO's are 19 months apart. When the oldest was 17 months I switched her to a twin bed with a rail. We were going to get a toddler bed but then someone gave us a twin bedroom set so I tried it and had no problems. I set it up in her room and let her play around in it for about a week and we made a big deal about how great her new bed was. We started with naps and it went great.

I would try moving to a bed before buying a new crib.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ours will be 18-19 months apart, and we are planning to move DS to a bed (actually a queen bed on the floor, because that's what we have, even though it will be huge for him!).  I'm still a little torn about it, because he sleeps SO well & doesn't try to get out of his crib at all, but like the PP said, I think we're going to at least try it before springing for a 2nd crib.

I'm planning to make the transition 6-8 weeks before the baby is born, when DS is around 16.5 months.  At this point I can't even picture him understanding commands to stay in his bed, but it does have rails that block most of the sides, and I'm just hoping for the best! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • 17 months apart.

A 2nd crib is the best $ we ever spent.

I tried hard to not push my older one into things he wasn't ready for just because we were having another baby.  I loved having them in cribs and left both of them in them until they were no longer safe.

Containment of the older child is VERY helpful when you've got your hands full in the AM with the baby.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"