Working Moms
Options

Sicknesses at daycare

Does your daycare provider notify you when the other kids are sick?  So that you can look out for symptoms in your child, or decide whether you want to keep him home? 

DS started at a daycare center 3.5 weeks ago (when he was 6.5 months old).  In that time, he caught the stomach bug and the cold from daycare.  When he caught the stomach bug the first week, I kept him home Thurs-Fri and brought him back the following Monday.  I asked the teacher if any of the other kids had been sick too, and she kind of avoided the question, but I noticed that 2 of the babies were not there that day.

Then, last week Thursday he came down with the cold (I think from the AM teacher because she was sneezing that morning) and a terrible sounding cough.  I asked the teacher on Tuesday if any of the other kids had caught the cold and were they coughing too (since I didn't want him to be the one spreading it the others) and she was like "Oh yes, all the babies are sick!"

Obviously, I can't stop him from getting sick from daycare, but I thought it would be courteous if they'd give us a heads up so that we can look out for symptoms and be more careful so that DH and I don't catch it too. 

Re: Sicknesses at daycare

• Options
    Truthfully I don't see the point for things that are common and whose symptoms are going to make themselves known.  I don't think you need to be warned to look for a cold or stomach bug because those things are pretty in your face.  Now, if there were some strange rash or something that you may not be expecting or may not think is serious, a heads up on that would be nice.  Something like chicken pox.  You may blow it off as diaper rash, for instance, if you didn't know better.  But colds and such?  Nah.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options

imageelmoali:
    Truthfully I don't see the point for things that are common and whose symptoms are going to make themselves known.  I don't think you need to be warned to look for a cold or stomach bug because those things are pretty in your face.  Now, if there were some strange rash or something that you may not be expecting or may not think is serious, a heads up on that would be nice.  Something like chicken pox.  You may blow it off as diaper rash, for instance, if you didn't know better.  But colds and such?  Nah.

Ditto.

My DC will post a sign if someone in school comes down with RSV, HFM, or something like that.  But a common cold?  They would just have a sign up all winter!

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They post a notice on the bulletin board if there's something 'big' going around--I know I've seen notices for pink eye and hand foot mouth disease. Otherwise, I don't think it's necessary for 'smaller' things like colds and stomach bugs--they're just a reality of daycare and I feel like notifying parents of this would just make everyone anxious (or ambivalent to the notices). Also...maybe it's easier for DCP to tell, but sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing teething from a cold...my DD has a lot of similar symptoms.
    image. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageSilliRy:
    They post a notice on the bulletin board if there's something 'big' going around--I know I've seen notices for pink eye and hand foot mouth disease. Otherwise, I don't think it's necessary for 'smaller' things like colds and stomach bugs--they're just a reality of daycare and I feel like notifying parents of this would just make everyone anxious (or ambivalent to the notices). Also...maybe it's easier for DCP to tell, but sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing teething from a cold...my DD has a lot of similar symptoms.

Yes, I agree about the cold.  I guess I should have left that out.  But with the stomach bug, we could try to be more proactive at home so that even if DS came down with it, that we didn't catch it as well. 

• Options
    They notify us of things like Hand, Foot and Mouth and sometimes strep, but not run-of-the-mill colds. At least one kid has a cold at any given time, so it would be kind of pointless.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

They let us know when something big, like hand, foot and mouth disease, is going around so that we can spot symptoms early. They don't tell us about the smaller things, like colds, because there isn't really anything any of us can do about those.

• Options

They will send out an e-mail if there is a stomach bug going around.  As for colds, they would have to send out an e-mail every 5 minutes.  Babies get them so easily, because they put EVERYTHING in their mouths. 

For Valentine's Day there were these cute pictures of my son playing with another little girl posted around the classroom.  I thought it was adorable until I looked closer and realized my LO had his hands in this poor girls mouth :(  Needless to say, I know why he gets his colds. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have seen signs posted at our daycare for RSV and pink eye.  They also state which rooms there have been cases.

The infant room teachers have never told us that "Baby A is home sick with..." or anything like that.

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Options

Big stuff- yes.

Common cold- no. 

Proud Mom: Madilyn Louise 9/19/06 and Sophia Christina 12/16/08 Bumpersticker
  • Options
    imagemlwooten:

Big stuff- yes.

Common cold- no. 

This is us too. There will be a sign posted on the classroom doors " a child in this classroom has been diagnosed w/ ...."

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Our DC posts a sign on the door of the room letting us know if there were any confirmed cases of anything outside of a cold, stomach virus (common stuff with no need for a dr's visit). There is a sign on the door right now that says "Confirmed case of hand, foot and mouth". YAY! *insert sarcasm here*
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Options

ditto PPs - they notifiy us about HFM, pink eye, lice (ewww - that was just a scare, but ewww) but regular viruses, colds, etc. no.  The kids pass them around like crazy and no one's doing anything wrong and there's nothing special that can be done to prevent them.  Practice good hygiene at home and at school, but realize it will happen - especially the first year.  DD has been in daycare since she was 3.5 months old, but she's only missed one day of school this winter to illness. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Not for a cold.  If a child throws up or fever or anything contagious, then yes they'll notify me.  But i don't expect a call from them whenever a child has a cold or the sniffles.  
    Big Brother Logan Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Miles Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Bryan Smith - Freelance Photography Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    PeskyPesky member
    For stuff other than colds, there is a notice posted on the door saying how many confirmed cases of what and symptoms to look for.  For colds, they might say something is going through the room but there is no notice.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

Yes. They put a paper with the symptoms by the door of his classroom.

But not for colds, those are too common in the winter. More for things like strep, stomach flu, impetigo, and pink eye. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ditto the others. They post about stuff like RSV, HFM, Pinkeye, etc. If they posted everytime a kid had a cough they would have to just leave the sign up all the time!
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
  • Options

Other babies being sick is none of your business.  Our daycare sends out letters if there is a diagnosis and what to look for.  Not which room it was in (just "infant" "toddler" etc). If a baby is just kept home because he or she is ill they don't know what the diagnosis is, they do not tell us. 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    Only if it's something big.  One time a staff member had meningitis.  I think that was the only time there was an official notice.
  • Options

They only inform us if there is a case of a specific illness in the classroom (RSV, HFMD, etc) and give us a handout about it, but not a stomach bug or a cold. Some kid in class always has a cold.

imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageeveram01:

They only inform us if there is a case of a specific illness in the classroom (RSV, HFMD, etc) and give us a handout about it, but not a stomach bug or a cold. Some kid in class always has a cold.

This.  Because I've had multiple convo's with her teachers and the director about my DD's immunity (she has the immune system of a carrot) they'll tell me at pick up about stomach bugs as well- these aren't posted unless part of a DX. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"