Parenting
Options

what age for 1st concert?

going to springsteen tonight and my 5 year old has been begging to go w us, lol. we aren't bringing him, but it just had me thinking of when would be a good age. i might get tix this summer for him to maybe a concert outside? anyone take their young child to a concert yet? how did they do?

thx!  

Re: what age for 1st concert?

• Options

Does the doddle bops count?  DD was 2 and DS1 was 5 months.

Ciarrai has taken her DDs (3 & 5) to see Taylor Swift--I'd be totally cool with that for DD or Hannah Montana, as much as DD loves Katy Perry- that would be a no go for me.

Bruce Springsteen-don't know much about him or his fan base...so not of much help.

We have done outdoor ones at family events around town but i live in a small town and they are harmless. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Bruce is pretty family friendly, so I might bring my 5 year old, but I'd make sure I had seats (no general admission/standing room only), make sure I wasn't too close to the stage or on the sides by the speakres, and I'd have to be willing to leave early. So you'd have to weigh the cost of tickets and whether you'd mind leaving early if you have to.

We go to outdoor music concerts all the time since our town has free concerts several times a week during the summer. Usually they're very family friendly, very laid back -- kids playing on the lawn in the back, etc. I haven't actually purchased tickets for DS to a specific event because I haven't wanted to spend the money when I'm not sure he would appreciate it yet. If he begged me to see someone, I might reconsider.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    dpdwdpdw member
    Assuming we aren't talking about kid--performers like the Wiggles, we've done a bunch of outdoor concerts with our kids (starting at age 2, I think, but we've always seen younger kids).  My favorite are the beach concerts on the Cape when the kids just run round and round the gazebo while the parents sit in beach chairs with a bottle of wine.  We've also done general admission tickets to those open air stages (half seats, half lawn) and stayed totally at the back of the lawn.  Back there we've found loads of other kids of like-minded parents.  It's all good.
  • Options

Any kind of concert?  DD1 went to her first at about 6 weeks old for July 4th. We sat on the lawn at the botanical gardens, listened to an orchestra playing patriotic music and then watched fireworks.  DD2 was about 6 months old at the same concert when DD1 had just turned 2.  There are tons of kids at these concerts and they are part of the local orchestra's "outreach to kids" program so kids under 12 or something are free.  It's meant to be fun and a picnic, but still about the music.

As shopgirl mentioned, I did take both my girls to Taylor Swift last fall with DD1's BFF from Kindergarten and her mom and her two aunts. It's a long story, but they were 3 and 5 at the time and BFF's grandmother got her and her mom a pink limo to take them to and from the concert.  There was extra room so we were invited along so BFF had kids her age totally last minute.  I found tickets on StubHub and jumped.  Taylor didn't even come on stage until after 9pm and I thought I'd be stuck at this concert with no way to get home with two girls having meltdowns.  (DH would have come get us if it really got bad.)  Nope.  My girls were in HEAVEN.  Seriously, they absolutely went nuts.  We had crappy seats, but it was at Cowboys stadium so there was a big jumbo TV and the girls just fed off the energy and atmosphere.  DD1's BFF fell asleep at the concert after her favorite song, but my girls were enthralled.  Lots of people thought I was nuts, but best girls' night EVER.  It was worth every penny.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"