Working Moms

personal trainers i need your advice

also posted this in health and exercise...

i am considering my options for returning to school. Im stuck between going back for my associates to become an occupational therapy assistant or becoming a personal trainer. I currently work as a nanny and massage therapist. the nanny position will last a few more years and i will always work in massage, but its not the most stable field...

for those of you who work as personal trainers, is it a salaried position or do you work as an independent contractor? what certification courses would you suggest? any tips at all are appreciated. the decision to return to school is scary.... I know that I have to supplement massage with something else, something stable. I love being a nanny for this particular family but I dont see myself returning to childcare when the position ends.

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: personal trainers i need your advice

• I'm not a personal trainer, but have worked in the fitness industry for several years now.  I would say being a personal trainer is about the same stability as your massage therapist work, JMO. 
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • My DH was a personal trainer and he didn't have to go to school for it.  He was ACE certified.  And it was as others described.  If you're not there all day and you don't suck your clients in the gym is not going to throw clients your way.  He wanted to help people change their lives, they wanted him to sell sessions however possible.  So the real goal is to help people (or convince them you're helping them) but not get them to the point where they will ever work out alone.

I went to an expensive gym near Wall Street in NYC.  That kind of clientele will keep trainers in business.  But in a regular gym - where most people have goals like losing baby weight or getting into a dress for an upcoming event - there really aren't enough opportunities for someone to support themselves as a trainer.

TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • thank you for the feed back :) I have been asking around and this seems to be the general opinion... looks like its back to college with me!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"