Parenting
Options

Annual Gyn visits?

This may be a stupid question, but once you are done having kids and have had the same partner for 15+ years, is there still a point in seeing the gyn annually?  Or can you just skip the pap smear?  Of course a mamogram is in the future, but is it really still necessary to have the gyn check things down there every year? 

Re: Annual Gyn visits?

• Options
    Mine will only issue an rx for bcp for a year, so in order to get my refills, I need to be seen on an annual basis.
    Mom to DD#1 December '06, DD#2 Feb '09 and DS March '12
  • Options
    The last time I was at the gyno for my annual, they said the new recommendation is a pap every three years if you don't have a history of abnormal paps.  She did say to come in every year for a physical, but the pap would only be every three years
    DS1 5/2010, DS2 11/2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    dpdwdpdw member

imagejust.a.lurker:
    The last time I was at the gyno for my annual, they said the new recommendation is a pap every three years if you don't have a history of abnormal paps.  She did say to come in every year for a physical, but the pap would only be every three years

If not doing a pap, what is the "physical"?  My regular doc does annual blood work and checks my blood pressure & weight. 

• Options
    I work in obgyn. All of the above, plus an annual might include a pelvic exam and breast exam. Pretty soon you may need to discuss starting hormones, screenings for osteoporosis, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If my sister had waited three years after her normal pap, which was the last of years and years of normal paps, she'd probably be dead.

She had a normal pap, and then a year later had such a bad one she had to have surgery (more agressive than the usual treatment).  If she hadn't wanted to get pregnant they probably would have been even more agressive.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    2Gma2Gma member

imagejust.a.lurker:

This is what my OBGYN reccommended at my last visit too.

DD#1 5 years DD#2 3 years
  • Options
    It's a good question.  I  have an IUD so I don't need a Rx refill.  Also, at my last visit, my OB said that she'd stop doing Pap smears yearly.  I thought it was odd.  My insurance pays for them every year.  Maybe they don't get enough back from insurance companies to cover their costs?  I would still want one done, esp if it is free to me.  Otherwise, what's the point of going, as long as you give yourself a breast exam monthly?
    Noah (12~28~06) and Eli (8~5~10)

• Options
    You should still have an annual exam with with either your GYN or your internal/family med doc.  Once over 40, you will need annual mammorgrams and a pap every few years unless a family history didtakes having them more often.  I chose to my gyn as she is wonderful but if your internal med or other doc will do all the women stuff and you trust them, go for it,  My gyn checks my cholesterol and thyroid annual due to my history and medications.  I only see my internal med for illness but I am sure as I get older, I may end up seeing her more than my gyn.  You need to see a doc that you trust and that will do a full exam and will refer you to someone else if the need should arise.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options

Your dr. can answer that question for your individual situation.  I think if you've ever had an abnormal pap or have a history of certain cancers you'd want an annual exam. 

I have the Mirena IUD that needs to be checked annually, and I do whatever procedures the dr. rec's.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"