Parenting

Toddler Depth Perception

My daughter is almost 16 months old and her teacher told me she is concerned that she may have problems with her depth perception. She says she runs into things and steps on objects and falls. She steps on her friends legs too. When she asks her to let her put her shoes on Natalie holds up her foot from across the room. I don't want to overreact but I don't want to make excuses either. I am a kindergarten teacher and I know that the way her teacher is saying it to me is the way I would explain something if I really thought there was a problem. When I watch her she seems fine to me. A little bit toddler clumsy, but otherwise she moves well. She started walking early (8 1/2 months). She likes to dance. She can spot a crumb from across the room. The teacher says she is concerned that Natalie may be able to see but not judge the distance an object is from her. What should I think about all of this?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Toddler Depth Perception

• It may be nothing, but I would have her eyes checked.  If her eyes aren't seeing the same she may have a hard time judging distance. 
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • imagealamber4:
    My daughter is almost 16 months old and her teacher told me she is concerned that she may have problems with her depth perception. She says she runs into things and steps on objects and falls. She steps on her friends legs too. When she asks her to let her put her shoes on Natalie holds up her foot from across the room. I don't want to overreact but I don't want to make excuses either. I am a kindergarten teacher and I know that the way her teacher is saying it to me is the way I would explain something if I really thought there was a problem. When I watch her she seems fine to me. A little bit toddler clumsy, but otherwise she moves well. She started walking early (8 1/2 months). She likes to dance. She can spot a crumb from across the room. The teacher says she is concerned that Natalie may be able to see but not judge the distance an object is from her. What should I think about all of this?

I would see a pediatric ophthalmologist to rule out eye issues. I never had these issues but I have a lazy eye (very well controlled) and me depth perception is off. Do you ever see her eye drift? 

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Loading the player...
  • No, I haven't seen any drifting eyes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If your ticker is correct she is only 16 mos.   I wouldn't worry until so was over 2.
    Cheryl, Evan 4.25.05, Paige 7.2.07
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"