Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Sensitive Gag Reflex

Any other moms out there dealing with a baby that has a really sensitive gag reflex? 

My DS used to eat purees just fine, but over the past few weeks he's started to gag more and more. Usually, the gagging leads to vomiting. It's make meal times really stressful. 

Any advice? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sensitive Gag Reflex

• Options
    AZ123AZ123 member
    I am but I think it is because he has an ear infection and some post nasal drip that's causing it. Just take it slow and I offer a sip of water from the sippy cup between bites.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My DD still has a sensitive gag reflex. The dr said it was related to her severe reflux as a baby and we have done some occupational therapy (food related) to get her to eat non-purees and try new textures/food. 

OT did wonders with her and overall she eats like a typical 2 year old but she still gags and throws up when eating yogurt or mashed potatoes so we buy drinkable yogurts and she just doesn't eat mashed potatoes. There are times when I put something new on her lips for her to lick (as the OT would suggest), like jelly for toast, and she would gag and throw up from it just touching her lips.

Keep working with her and be patient. If you are worried and she is past 12 months I would talk to your ped.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yup, but like PP I think it's related to reflux.  It's slowly getting better.  DD tolerates small pieces of banana and avocada and will chew them enough to swallow.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"