Two Under 2
Options

Opinions on boy/girl sharing a room

Funny that someone just asked about sharing rooms because I am having a bit of a dilema about it now. DH and I just came across a great opportunity to buy the house next door to us (we rent now), which is perfect for us and a great investment opportunity. The only problem is that it only has 2 bedrooms, but they are huge (by London standards, medium-sized by American standards). We figure we will take the smaller one, which fits us fine, and let the kids share the bigger one. The new baby will stay with us in our room for a few months, but then join DD when he/she is STTN (hopefully that won't take a long time!).

Our problem is that we aren't finding out the gender of the new baby, so it may be a situation where we have a boy and girl sharing a room. I don't see a problem with it at all. DH doesn't like the idea. We are only planning on being there for 3-4 years before selling and moving to a bigger place, so I don't see any issues with it.

What do you ladies think? Anyone have experience with this as a kid or with your own children?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Opinions on boy/girl sharing a room

• Options

We have a boy and a girl and they are currently sharing a room. We have a guest room so we will be able to separate them without moving if we so choose. We plan to have them share for as long as possible (although it also depends on when future kids arrive). 

I figure that as long as they are taking baths together it doesn't matter if they share a room. Once they become modest/aware enough that they don't want to bathe together then they should also get the privacy of their own room. My guess is that will happen around 4-6. We don't play in the bedroom so space isn't an issue. We don't need much space in there so I don't want to waste space by spreading out their bedrooms.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It's unlikely a 4 and 3 year old boy/girl pair are going to have an issue with room sharing at those ages. My friend moved her 6 and 5 year old boy/girl sibs into separate rooms this year because she felt they were getting too old and the baby brother would actually leave his room and go sleep on his sister's floor because he still wanted to share with her.

My 2 share a room and we're actually going to get bunkbeds next year. We plan on letting them share until 5 and 4 (or earlier/later depending on their own preferences).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have plenty of friends whose oldest are boy/girl and share a room. I don't see any problems with it at this age. Maybe when they are teenagers I wouldn't do it but as baby/toddlers/preschoolers I don't see the problem. My one friend said that her oldest girl and boy are togehter and it's helped them get along better.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In the short term (less then 5 years) I think its fine =) We are in the same situation, we have a boy adn one on the way that the gender will be a suprise.  We will be building in the next 2-3 years so its temporary.
  • Options
    we will do that from when baby #2 sttn until we move from this house (which will be before LO#1 is 5, and probably much sooner)
  • Options

I don't have a problem with that at all.

My best friend growing up (lived across the street from me) shared a room with her younger brother (2 years younger) until she was in 7th grade. It was just the way things had to work out with 5 kids ranging from 10-18 (boy, three girls, then another boy).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My 5-year-old boy and 3-year-old girl share a room and the baby has his own room right now.  It works fine.  Kids at that age don't really have a sense of privacy and at least for our kids, all they really do in their bedrooms is sleep and change clothes.  They are too young for modesty as well so the whole getting dressed and undressed isn't an issue right now.  Our plan is to move the two boys into the same room at some point but not until the baby is a little older. 

If you only plan on being there five or less years then I don't see an issue.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options

I dont see an issue with it!

We are in the same boat, our 5 yo has her own room and so does our 7 month old, but the new baby will stay with us for a while and then move in with the baby girl.

So regardless of the sex, they will have to be together till we buy or build a new house!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DD and DS will be sharing a room, starting in June ish, for about 12-24 months. We want the new baby to have it's own room, and once it sleeps well and through the night with no interruptions (like a bottle/dreamfeed), around 11-14 months, we'll move it in with either DD or DS (whichever gender is the same).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

imagektusten:
    In the short term (less then 5 years) I think its fine

I agree w/this

• Options
    Well, regardless if this one is a boy or a girl, the kids will be in the same room until we can afford a bigger house (our place is 2 bedroom). If that weren't the issue, I'd say there's no problem letting the two share a room....unless they both started feeling uncomfortable about it....maybe as preteens or teenagers.
    daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
  • Options

we will be when DD turns 2.5 and DS is 4...I have no problem with it and neiether will they. 

Teens, no I wouldnt but before middle school...no problem.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We are going to have ours share a room once LO#2 arrives.

I shared a room with one of my brothers until I was 7 and he was 9.  I really liked the experience, especially nights when there would be storms or something.  Even after our parents separated us into our own rooms, I would sneak into his room and sleep on the end of his bed.  We didn't really have any problems with modesty or anything, we just didn't care. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"