Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Question about feeding solids from 6-9 mo board

Hi,

DS is 8 1/2 months old.  He has been doing the 4.5 oz jars from Earths best.  At Breakfast he also gets some oatmeal and yogurt and at lunch he also gets some barley.  We just sarted giving him a jar and a half at lunch and dinner because he has been getting hungier.  I know at 9 months the jars go up to 6 oz, but there is such a little varity.  Do babies 9-12 months still eat jarred food or is this a tranisiton time to solids?  We have tried puffs with DS but he hates them.  I can't imagine he will be eating solids like mac and cheese or chicken nuggets in just 3 1/2 months. 

What has the progression of your childs soild eating looked like?  What can I expect at 9 months? Will he still be eating jarred food until a year or so?  I'm a first time mom so I'm new at this.  THanks for your help.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question about feeding solids from 6-9 mo board

• Options

Around 8-9 months we started giving small finger foods before his jars. Scrambled eggs, toast, pieces of fruit, bread, etc. Anything he could grab that wasn't a choking hazard we just started working in. My DS is 10 months, and still eats the jarred food, but honestly, he's pretty much over them. He eats maybe a 1/2 stage 3 jar of Earth's Best at each meal after whatever solids he has had.

As to variety with Earth's Best, I have found it depends where you shop. Our Babies R Us has a much bigger selection than our Target, so we end up going there a lot of times.

Lilypie - (kMgL)

Lilypie - (tC3c)

• Options
    DS was eating the most purees at around 7 months. Since then he's preferred regular table food. We slowly added more table food and less purees and now he eats mostly table food and we supplement with purees sometimes. Mostly fruit purees. He never went for those puree "meals" in the big jars (lasagna or whatever).

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At 10 months, DS still really likes the purees.  We do lots of finger foods, too, and are giving her things off our dinner plates that she can manage, but she still really likes most of the purees and cereals.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

At 9 months DS had a baby food strike. He didn't want anything to do with it and only wanted real food. So that's what he's been getting ever since.

His dr gave us the all clear to give him anything and everything (except to wait until after his birthday for honey). So, he's been eating anything and everything since 9 months.

He still hasn't had honey, but that because we don't have any in the house. Same with peanut butter. I can't seem to remember to buy it. He has had stir-fry cooked in peanut oil though.

• Options

DS is 9 1/2 months, and still eats mostly purees, but he does have some finger foods at each meal. I'm not really sure when they are supposed to be done with purees and strictly on finger foods.

Some finger foods he eats: cheerios, puffs, toast, cheese, chicken, meat, pasta, potatoes

Breakfast : oatmeal mixed w/ fruit puree, cut up toast, cheerios
    Lunch: yogurt, jar of veggies, cut up cheese
    Dinner: puree veggies & fruits, cut up hamburger/chicken/meat

So in general he eats fruits and veggies in purees. (sometimes a 4oz jar of each at one meal) Though we are trying to slowly introduce more finger foods.

BKP__Levi's One Year_0032_CDBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

We've been having a difficult time with finger foods.  We also had trouble getting her to eat purees.  She is now (not a ton, but enough).  Now she wants our food.  I would try and give her what we eat but it would usually end with her gagging and vomiting.

Just the past couple days we've had success with bananas and avocado (really ripe), because they mash up pretty easy.  She's really watching us eat, so eating with her helps.  When I give her banana I eat the rest and she watches me chew and swallow, and is finally getting the chewing part.

Expose LO to the foods now and he will get it. It takes time, be patient.  

We have been giving puree and finger foods.. 

• Options
    I give both, but DS didn't get his pincher grasp until 8.5 months and after that he started letting me give him other things besides puffs and melts. But I still use puree's to add in with breakfast and i'm pretty sure i'll still be spoon feeding him after his 1st birthday. Sometimes I even make him food I know he can't pick up like mashed sweet potatoes and risotto but I know he likes it so I'll make some for him and feed it (a pouch of food would be easier but idk i like to make him little meals sometimes) just keep trying to offer some things. DS just won't pick up banana's maybe they are to slimey and other things too he will grab and immediately let go but will eat it if i put it in his mouth
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    also check out Sprout pouches! They have some awesome flavors that don't all have fruit in them which I find frusterating. DS LOVES their minestrone soup pouch and peach pumpkin graham cracker pie one. They also have lasagna, creamy chicken, butternut squash mac-n-cheese, a bunch of others
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. We tried Cherios tonight and he HATED them and gagged until he threw up then he didn't want to eat dinner which was stage 3. He finally ate a jar of stage 2. What a little stinker. Maybe he's not ready. 
  • Options
    DS has been very slow on finger foods. He had a great pincer grasp early on, but just wanted nothing to do with eating finger foods. So he's still eating lots of purees. Right now the only finger foods he will eat are banana, cheerios, toast, puffs, carrots, peaches (if he doesn't get frustrated with trying to pick them up) and green beans. Since he can't survive on that, purees are still going strong... 
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"