Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

*Siggy Warning* Medication in Lieu of 2nd D&C?

Hi Ladies,

I spent some time here, twice, about 2 years ago, and I know what valuable resources and supports you all are.  I hope you don't mind me dropping in.

A close friend had a D&C about 3 weeks ago, and her #s aren't dropping and they can still see stuff on her u/s.  She was expecting to be told she would need another D&C, but her Dr changed her mind and said she would need medication to just pass it at home.  She needs to go to the hospital tomorrow for a "shot in the bum."  Because she wasn't expecting that course of action and she was upset, she says she can't remember what the drug was called to research it and she is finding a few different ones online.  Others I know have been able to administer drugs on their own at home, so I assume it is different.  My experiences were only with an eventual D&C and natural.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with a medication that was an injection? Any thoughts on what she should look up?  Anything you think she should know?

Thanks!  Best wishes to you all as you go through your respective struggles. 

~ M/C April 28/10 @ 10w2d ~ ~ M/C Sept. 14/10 @ 5w ~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: *Siggy Warning* Medication in Lieu of 2nd D&C?

• Options
    I believe the medication they are talking about is methotrexate. I was given two injections, one on each side, to end an ectopic pregnancy. I have also heard of it being used to help if a natural m/c or d&c doesn't get everything out. The methotrexate causes your body to stop using folate for rapid cell growth and your body eventually absorbs and/or passes the remaining tissues. Methotrexate is actually a type of chemotherapy, so you have to be careful as it can lower your immune system. The only side effects I had were really bad cramps about 4 days after the shot, followed by bleeding the next day, and extreme fatigue. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    BFP #1 2/20/12 - ectopic methotrexate @6w2d on 3/6/12 BFP#2 7/27/12 EDD 4/10/13- It's a boy! imageimagePhotobucketBabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Oh and if your friends wants to TTC again, she will have to wait 2 regular cycles, or 3 months. It takes your body that long to build back folate levels which are needed to prevent birth defects.
    BFP #1 2/20/12 - ectopic methotrexate @6w2d on 3/6/12 BFP#2 7/27/12 EDD 4/10/13- It's a boy! imageimagePhotobucketBabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks!  I will pass this along to her this afternoon.  She is coming over shortly.  Can I PM you later if she has any other questions?
    ~ M/C April 28/10 @ 10w2d ~ ~ M/C Sept. 14/10 @ 5w ~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes. I will do my best to answer her questions. Glad I could help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"