Preemies
Options

Gentle Formula? (Not Neosure)

My daughter is having trouble digesting Neosure (lots of gas and grunting/straining after eating).  I'd like to move her to a different formula so that she continues with the extra calories, but my pedi is pushing to cut the calories altogether and give her just breast milk.

Did anyone have a similar problem with Neosure, and if so are there any other types of formulas that might be easier on the tummy to digest?

Thank  you

Re: Gentle Formula? (Not Neosure)

• Options

We are also having the same problem w both boys and Neosure. Our pedi decided to take a chance and start changing the formula. He said that they are no longer getting the benefits of the Neosure. We started to feed then 1/2 Neosure and 1/2 Advance (also Similac) they seem to love it. No more crying while feeding. They are also eating more=sleeping more at nite (is great!) Once we finish all the Neosure we have at home we are gonna just feed Advance.?

?

GL!

?

Zeidy ?

• Options
    We switched from Neosure to Good Start Supreme and had better luck with his digestion.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but I'm glad I read your post. My DD has been having a lot of straining and she cries before going to the bathroom. I thought it was the thickener we put in her formula that was causing the problems, but maybe it's the Neosure or a combination of both.
  • Options

If she's gaining weight at a good rate, straight breast milk is probably more than fine for her! You could try it for a week, and bring her to the pedi's office for a weigh in just to make sure she's getting enough calories, if you're really concerned.

But if you really want to fortify, I very strongly suggest Good Start formula. It is WAY easier on little preemie tummies than that awful Neosure :)

• Options
    I am glad you posted something on here about neosure. My son has also had a lot of gas from the Neosure and lots of grunting/ straining. He also cries during his bottle feeds when I take the bottle out of his mouth to burp him. I thought that maybe he was crying because he is hungry and wants to keep drinking but I wonder if it is because his stomach is bothering him. We go to the pediatrician in 2 weeks so I will see what they say then.
    Conceived twins with IVF January 2008. Lost baby a at 20 1/2 weeks due to premature rupture of membranes and held onto baby b. Baby b (Brandon) born at 26 weeks and 1 day on July 5, 2008. Wesley born full term on June 29, 2011. My blog http://karenandstu.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • Options
    Yes, sure did! We switched (eventually) to Similac Sensitive and it is wonderful. Enfamil Gentlease was not quite as good.
  • Options
    We had constipation problems with Neosure and switched to Enfamil Enfacare. You can tell by the consistency of the powder that it seems so much thinner than Neosure. We haven't had too many problems since, although she does still get a prune juice bottle once daily.
  • Options
    My son had a terrible time with Neosure.  I noticed it as soon as they switched him in the hospital (he was on Enfamil preemie at first).  After trying a few different formulas we finally settled on Alimentum.  While the Alimentum was not a perfect fit, it was the best formula we tried and frankly all the back and forth was tough on his stomach.  I will say my son turned the corner gas/pooping wise at about 3.5 months.  I really think his digestive system just needed to mature.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"