Pregnant after 35
Options

New here and worried (sorry-long)

Hi everyone! I'm new to this board. I'm 36, and I'm pregnant for the first time after trying for over a year. I've had a scary weekend, and I'm not quite sure what to think. My doctor's office is big on checking hcg levels, so here are my numbers:

4w4d: 73 Progesterone: 7.5

4w6d: 148

5w2d: 402

5w5d: 630

6w (around noon): 660

So the OB calls me and says that my levels aren't rising appropriately, my pregnancy is probably ectopic and sends me to the ER for methotrexate. I asked for an ultrasound, and she said ok but it probably wouldn't show anything. At the ER they checked my level again (about 4.5 hours after the 660 above), and it had ticked up to 696. My ultrasound showed a gestational sac of about 3 mm in the uterus, but nothing else was visible yet. The OB wants me to come in for an exam and more blood work tomorrow, but she says it could still be ectopic. The ER doc says it's fine to take a wait and see approach since they could see the sac in my uterus and the levels are still rising. However, she cautioned that a m/c is probably coming if the levels don't pick up. Any thoughts/advice?

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: New here and worried (sorry-long)

• Options
    I just wish you the best of luck and hope your doctor is wrong!
  • Options
    Thanks-me too! I haven't had any pain or bleeding, so I just don't understand why she's holding on to the ectopic idea.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can say I had slow rising levels, but they were slight off, almost like a margin of error. I did have an empty sac at 5w3d. A week later, there was a blob with a heartbeat. I'm not a professional, or even a self-proclaimed expert. But, I'd say it's too early to tell anything. Just dont let anyone pressure you.
  • Options

A few thoughts/questions: 

1.   Have they checked your progesterone level since the initial 7.5 ?  That's really low and you should be on supplemental progesterone ASAP, if you aren't already. Low progesterone can be a serious issue and actually increase the likelihood of m/c.

2.  How sure are you of your dates?  Were you charting and do you know which day you actually ovulated?  The standard dating using LMP assumes that you ovulated on day 14 of a 28 day cycle.  If your cycles don't follow that pattern, for example you tend to ovulate later than day 14 of your cycle, it's entirely possible that your pregnancy is not as far along as your doctor expects.

3.  At 6w, it could go either way since it can take up to 7w to see a HB (longer, if, as mentioned above, you ovulate later than day 14). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I think it's safe to wait and see how things progress.  You can get a "pseudo-gestational sac" in the uterus which is a small collection of fluid build up with an ectopic, so that doesn't rule out that you have one.  But I don't think I would personally jump the gun on the methotrexate until I was 100% sure.  Keep going in and get frequent ultrasounds and HCG levels until you know what's going on.  

TTC 10/11. IUI 2/12. BFP 3/8/12. 4/26/12 missed mc. RE consult 5/17/12. IVF #1 ER 7/13/12 53R, 41M ICSIed, 32F, 8 5d, 6 6d blasts - all PGD/frozen. PGD results 1 normal M and 1 normal F, 1 maybe M. FET 9/6, transferred 1 F embie. Beta 9/15 BFN. FET#2 planned for 11/2012 put off until 2013. Surprise BFP 11/21/12!! My son was born on 7/24/13!

FET 4/28/2015 - Transferred 1 M embie. 5/6/15 BFP!

• Options
    Agree with pp.  Nothing wrong with wait and see.  DO NOT be pressured into anything.  Still early and very well could be ok.  Would wait and see how bw comes out tomorrow.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Please keep us posted!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

I'd wait, too. My ectopic was clearly visible early on in my tube (via transvaginal ultrasound) And my hcg was only around 375 at the time.

I'm so sorry you're going through this & pray your doctor is wrong! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses and support. They haven't measured my progesterone again since the first blood work. She said that progesterone should be anywhere between 4 and 34. Since mine was in that range, they said they didn't need to check it again. I went in today, and they took more blood. I should get the results tomorrow. They said they will do more blood work on Wednesday to see what the levels are doing. I will keep you posted, and thanks again for the kind words.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Keeping ya in my thoughts and prayers!

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I just got my blood work results-it jumped up to 1183 :):):) I have to go have more blood drawn tomorrow, but I feel a slight sense of relief at the increase. Thank you all for your responses and support!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

i was in exactly the same position as you a few weeks ago... My prog. was way low... i had actually started bleeding the same day as my BFP.... My hcg levels weren't rising as they expected, and they thought ectopic too... they couldn't see anything on us... so it was a wait and see.... THEN a few weeks of the waiting / more hcg tests... i go in and see a HEARTBEAT of a baby, in the right spot...and progressing really well!!! :)   They did put me on prog.(crinone) from the very beginning and i am so thankful!!  

I still feel like I can't fully relax...will i ever???? lol.... i've been getting u/s weekly... and they such a reassuring thing!! 

I would ask your dr. about the prog...  

good luck to you! i know that while I was going through that, all I kept telling myself, was, "if it's meant to be... it will be... " and that really helped me get through....

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"