Blended Families

Question about Easter...

My SS who is 10 has spent every Easter with my H and I since he was 2 years old, well atleast in the morning so we always did an Easter basket for him. I know when he was 6 his BM had him Easter morning and I can't remember how I handled that Easter. We normally share all the holidays because we live within 5 minutes of each other and grandparents so its very easy for us, but we have had him every Easter morning. This year it so happens to be his BM's weekend on Easter and I'm wondering do I still make him an Easter basket or should he just get  the Easter basket at his BM's home. I don't care either way I like making Easter baskets and getting him things but doesn't it make sense that the Easter bunny only goes to one house and that's the house your at? What do you do or how would you handle it? Thanks in advance!

Re: Question about Easter...

• wwnbwwwnbw member

You asked "doesn't it make sense that the Easter bunny only goes to one house and that's the house your at?"....does santa only go to one house? I think you should make him one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the advice... I had already picked some stuff up for him. But in response to your question about Santa I have never had to worry about that either we always have him Christmas eve night and Christmas morning.
  • Loading the player...
  • My guess is he's used to getting baskets/presents at both houses. I imagine most bio-moms do Easter baskets and gifts from Santa even if their kids are with their exes on the holiday.

Does he still believe in the Easter bunny? If so, you could say something like the Easter bunny thought you'd here so he left you a basket, or the bunny wasn't sure where you'd be this year so he left baskets at both houses.

• Are you on speaking terms with BM?  If so, I'd ask if she plans on making a basket?  If not, you could still make one for him.  Our BM would never make anything like that for the kids, not even Santa, so we always do that kind of stuff and have it our house for when they come.  Typically though, I try to coordinate with her so we all know who's getting what.  

We're in the same situation.  We've always had the kids on Easter but this year it's on her weekend and she's specifically asked to have them for Easter because her mom is coming.  I guess we can't argue since we've had them every year :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Growing up, Santa (in my culture - Baby Jesus - but same difference) came to everyone's house...parents, both sets of grandparents, aunts....and we collected our presents at all those houses. It never seemed weird to us kids, now that I think about it.....

So, my advice would be not to overthink it - kids will go along with it.

• When ds1 was younger Santa and the easter bunny came to both houses. We just told him it was split up so no matter where he was he would have something.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Honestly, as someone who got Easter "Baskets" until I Monkey came along, I love the tradition.  It doesnt have to be expensive or elaborate. But its a cute way to keep your familial connections strong.

In fact, in my house we do tons of these things (Mom gets us all - Sister, Brother, SIL, kids and stepkids -  Christmas Ornaments - each year is a different theme and it has the date on it) like this to help us remember we are an extended family too.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • We don't have SS (5) for Easter this year, but I will still make up a basket for the time next time he is here. The only difference will be we color real eggs so he probably won't get any of those (being a week after) but I'll throw a few plastic ones in there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If he is 10, and you think he really think he still believes in the 'Easter bunny', I think it's safe to say he is pretending to believe for your sake. Lol. Put something together and say 'this is froze me and your dad'. No harm in that. The grandparents always get the kids baskets, but SS knows that te special one on Easter morning is from the bunny himself. My kids I expect will 'know' the same once they are old enough to 'get it'. 
    Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"