Preemies
Options

Allergic reaction to Domperidone/Transfer to Pediatric Ward

First of all, thank you for your responses to my last post, they were very helpful and informative.

I was told to take the Domperidone to get my milk supply up faster to make it easier for DD to BF. Without it, I average a 1.5oz to 2oz pump. DD currently takes 50ccs per feed. Unfortunately, I had a severe allergic reaction to it when I took the very first dose. Apparently this is extremely rare! I was at home and had to call 9-1-1. I was terrified, but they pumped me full of drugs and I'm all right. It flared up all day yesterday and I felt too sick to hold DD. I had to have an EKG to check my heart and I need to follow up with my GP as the reaction can cause abnormal heart rhythms. I'm hesitant to try any other methods, even "natural" ones, until I get more information and if I suddenly have a drop in supply even with constant pumping.

We got transferred to the pediatric ward yesterday because the NICU needed to take in a more high risk baby. We now have a private room where we can stay with her 24/7 and we get a lot more say in her care. It's fantastic. DH will be here on weekends and weekdays after work and I will be here all the time. This is an invaluable opportunity. If only they had free wi-fi!

Ad lib feeding was mentioned by PPs, and in peds that is something we will work towards before going home. For now we will focus on scheduled pumping and bottle feeding, with follow-up care at home to attempt EBF and her pedi supports this. I have put us on a schedule which should help make our stay easier.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Allergic reaction to Domperidone/Transfer to Pediatric Ward

• Options

That is scary.  I am glad you are okay.  It feels better to make a decision.  That's at least how I felt after we decided to just do bottles.  If you really want to BF, you'll get there.  For us, it wasn't something I pushed, and we never got there 100%.  But, he did BF part-time until he was 6 months old.  Then I pumped until 8 months old and he gets my stash and formula now. 

Good luck!

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    So glad you're ok now. Unfortunately there is nothing is nothing easy about BF a preemie. Hang in there and know that every drop you're making is important right now even if you're not keeping up completely. Once your baby is BFing more it may get easier. GL!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow, that's scary about the allergic reaction...I'm glad you're ok now! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Thanks ladies. I've had other allergic reactions to drugs before, so I knew what to watch for.

I read Urbanflowerpot's blog entry and that gave me hope, but I also know most likely we will wind up doing both BF and bottle, and I think I'll be all right with that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"