Preemies
Options

Intro: Hi, I'm new here.

I'm the new kid on the block, but I plan to be here a while so I thought I'd introduce myself and my little fighter.  My son Ryan was born on Tuesday via emergency c/s due to a placental abruption.  He was 25 weeks exactly, and luckily I was already in the hospital on bed rest when everything happened, so they had already given me/him steroids a few days before just in case something like this happened.  I honestly never thought in a million years it actually would happen, I figured I'd be in the hospital on bed rest until 39 weeks.  I'm still in a bit of shock, but just so thankful I was there so they could get him out quickly and safely.

They released me from the hospital a day early on Thursday so that I could go visit in him in the NICU.  He had to be transferred to a different NICU from the hospital I delivered in because he needed NO treatments to help the PDA, and the couldn't do them where we were.  I'm really happy with the NICU he's in now, even though it's a little bit more of a drive.  He has his own room and every doctor, NP, and nurse I've talked to so far has been so amazingly wonderful, I feel that he is in really good hands.

I'm not sure what else to say other than I'm really glad there are support boards like this out there because I really feel like I've been blindsided and I have so many questions but I don't even know where to begin.  I was pretty active on TB for quite some time after my 1st loss and rainbow baby pregnancy, but now the group I bonded with during that time has an off board, so I haven't posted here in ages.  I'd love to get to know all the regulars here, and if you don't have the backstory of your LO in your siggy, maybe you could give it to me in a comment so I can get to know you better. :)  Looking forward giving/getting some serious support here over the next few months!

Jen :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Intro: Hi, I'm new here.

• Options

Hi Jen,

Congrats on your baby! I know it's a really scary time, but it's great that you are happy with the NICU he's in. Being comfortable with his docs/RNs/care is going to help a lot.

I'm also relatively new here. My little girl was born at 30 wks, 4 days. She is now 8 months old, which I can't believe. I also had an emergency c-section; I had a placenta previa and went into labor. They couldn't stop the labor and I was losing so much blood that they rushed me to surgery. My daughter spent 5 weeks in the NICU and came home on an apnea monitor, which we had for another 6 weeks. 

It's going to be a long few months for you, but be strong! It's worth it in the end :) 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options

Congrats on your little guy!  I hope that his NICU stay is short and uneventful.  I look forward to hearing more from you as he progresses!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DrRxDrRx member

Congratulations on your little boy!

They found that I had really low fluid on a routine ultrasound at 22w6d and was immediately admitted to the hospital.  They weren't sure if I had pPROM or if there was a problem with the baby's kidney's or what since they didn't ever find amniotic fluid on exam. My fluid stayed the same or went up and I lived at the hospital for ~3.5 weeks until I went into labor because I developed an infection.  

At 26w1d I started spotting at 1pm, bleeding by 6pm, having about 6 or 7 contractions in an hour between 7 and 8, fever at 9pm, elevated blood cell count, higher fever at 10pm, and at 12:17am Adalyn was born via c-section.  So, technically she was born at 26w2d. Pathology later confirmed that I had chorioamnioitis.  Luckily, neither Adalyn nor I developed sepsis from it. My OB thinks that I had a high-leak that leaked slowly.

Adalyn was born 1 pound 12 ounces (800 grams) and 12 inches long.  She was on the vent for 3 weeks (with 2 days on the oscillator at the end of her vent journey), 2 weeks on CPAP, and started nasal cannulas last week.  She was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with Stage 1 Zone 2 ROP.  She's had 5 blood transfusions because of anemia and battled a pseudomonas lung infection that she got from the vent. 

She is 7 weeks today and weighs 3 pounds 9 ounces and just started wearing clothes this past Tuesday.  Soon, she'll be able to be in the incubator with the top off.  We got moved to the step-down unit last week. 

GL in your NICU journey and that you have many more good days than bad days!  Focus on the good days and just get through the bad days.  

TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
  • Options
    Congrats on the birth of your little miracle. I totally hear you on the surreal part... it felt like a dream for the first few weeks. We have many micro preemie success stories- hoping that gives you some strength as you navigate the nicu!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options
    Hi there! I'm new too :-)

My son Edward was born on the 14th via c-section due to low fluid and decelerating heartbeat. I was 29w1d and he weighed 1lb 11oz. He had been measuring behind from about 16 weeks. I also had a huge bleed at 12 1/2 weeks as well as low Papp-a in my blood work. My OB said that when she saw my placenta, she was horrified. Haven't got pathology back, but she said he definitely needed to be out.

I know we've got a long road ahead of us, but so far he's doing really well and I'm so proud of how hard he's fighting and how strong he is. Stronger than me I think! It's very emotional and with the hormones dipping and diving combined with pumping constantly, and learning the ropes of being a nicu mommy, I've had some pretty difficult days. However, I couldn't feel more lucky and grateful.

Many congratulations to you! I hope your NICU journey is as smooth as possible. They really are such a miracle.
    Me: 39 DH: 35 - TTC #1 since October 2010
    BFP #1 2-1-11 Missed Miscarriage 3-14-11(9 wks)-D&C
    BFP #2 9-17-11 EDD 5-29-12
    Edward James born 3-14-12 weighing 1lb11oz at 29w1d via c section due to low fluid and growth restriction from crappy placenta.
    My BFP Chart
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers <a href="http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/sbphotos1/?action=view
  • Options

imagesbphotos:

I know we've got a long road ahead of us, but so far he's doing really well and I'm so proud of how hard he's fighting and how strong he is. Stronger than me I think! It's very emotional and with the hormones dipping and diving combined with pumping constantly, and learning the ropes of being a nicu mommy, I've had some pretty difficult days. However, I couldn't feel more lucky and grateful.

I can't tell you how nice it was to hear this.  I feel like no one can understand this rollercoaster of emotions I'm on.  Some days I feel so happy (and of course I feel guilty for even feeling happy). I think I just get on this high of knowing he made it to viability and has this fighting chance, and being so thankful that he seems to be doing so well.  Then 10 minutes later I'll be crying because something hits me and I feel so horrible that I couldn't keep him baking longer.  The c/s recovery, hormones, pain meds, pumping schedule, etc are just throwing me through the ringer.  I just feel like I'm in a fog...and here I am just completely venting my word vomit because I've found someone who can actually relate!  I'm just glad to have this board now.  I know I'm going to be here A LOT for the next few months!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Hi and welcome to the board!  Congrats on the birth of Ryan.  I second those first few days/weeks being so hard from recovering, hormones, and all the emotions of having a preemie.  I was on hospital bed rest for over a month before my twins came so it was bittersweet being discharged home.  I could barely believe that those tiny fragile babies were actually mine.  It did take a few weeks for me to really bond and get those mommy feelings, so don't feel like you are alone.

Some of my story is in my siggy below.  Owen and Miles were 2lbs and 2lbs 7oz at birth and are now healthy growing boys as you can see in their 8 month picture.  Keep us updated with Ryan's progress and I'm sending some prayers your way for him and your family.

• Options
    imagedaphne814:

imagesbphotos:

I can't tell you how nice it was to hear this.  I feel like no one can understand this rollercoaster of emotions I'm on.  Some days I feel so happy (and of course I feel guilty for even feeling happy). I think I just get on this high of knowing he made it to viability and has this fighting chance, and being so thankful that he seems to be doing so well.  Then 10 minutes later I'll be crying because something hits me and I feel so horrible that I couldn't keep him baking longer.  The c/s recovery, hormones, pain meds, pumping schedule, etc are just throwing me through the ringer.  I just feel like I'm in a fog...and here I am just completely venting my word vomit because I've found someone who can actually relate!  I'm just glad to have this board now.  I know I'm going to be here A LOT for the next few months!

TOTAL roller coaster. Big time. Today was a great day, yesterday I was a basket case and could not for the life of me stop crying. I completely relate. Every little thing worries me. Definitely a learning curve.

Oh and not to mention the fact that I also have an open incision because it wouldn't heal properly. I retained so much water that I looked like the Michelin man. It also collected in my incision and wouldn't allow the lower layers to heal. Now I have a visiting nurse come everyday for 6-8 weeks to change the dressing. Sigh. I only now FINALLY have almost no swelling.

Here's to getting through the next few months with as few bumps in the road as possible. HUG!
    Me: 39 DH: 35 - TTC #1 since October 2010
    BFP #1 2-1-11 Missed Miscarriage 3-14-11(9 wks)-D&C
    BFP #2 9-17-11 EDD 5-29-12
    Edward James born 3-14-12 weighing 1lb11oz at 29w1d via c section due to low fluid and growth restriction from crappy placenta.
    My BFP Chart
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers <a href="http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/sbphotos1/?action=view
  • Options

Hey! I hope you find comfort in knowing that our son, Walker, was born at exactly 25 weeks and weighed the same as your little boy. He's had a rough road but has bounced back pretty quickly.

We're an unusual NICU story and Walker's been through the ringer a couple of times. If you would like to follow our blog or talk PM and let me know! Walker had a PDA that closed, NEC with two successful surgeries, serratia two times and is recovering from meningitis caused by serratia, which has very little studies because it's pretty rare.

Our stay isn't typical and every baby is different! 

• Options
    Congrats on your son :)
  • Options

Hi Jen -

We have similar stories, only I have twins...and I have a Ryan also!  The boys were born via emergency c/s at 25 weeks 2 days due to Aiden's complete placental abruption.  I was already on hospital bed rest due to a shortnened cervix, and I did get the steroid shots as well.  The boys turned 6 months yesterday.  Let me know if you have any questions.  I spent quite some time in the NICU, and we went through just about everything. 

Congrats on the birth of Ryan, and post some pics when you can!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"