Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Questions about Fiengold Diet

Hello, I lurk occassionally, but don't post much.  My DD is 4 (and 3 months) and we have always had a hard time with her temperment.  She's not really physically agressive towards others, but she seems to be depressed quite a bit and verbally agressive (basically every day ends with her screaming and i can't remember the last time we had an enjoyable 24 hours (or even 4) together as a family.. i hate that feeling!)  I talked to her pedi at her 4 yr appt about it and kind of chalked it up to holiday stress/less sleep/crappy food being handed out at every turn.  We have tried before to limit Red Dye's and I did notice for a short period that it helped some.  I guess I am at the point now that I know we need to do it all or nothing though and am not sure where to start.  I have looked over their website, but does anyone have any tips or great material to recommend?  We eat fairly healthy to begin with, but I know changes can be made.  If you have done this diet before or currently do it did you start with talking to a nutritionist or anything like that or just reading material? 

Also, how do you handle this when they go to friends houses/ pre-school?  In our neighborhood all the kids play together daily and it is nothing for them to come out of someone's house with a juice box or a snack.  How do  you get them to make the connection that they can't eat certain foods just because every one else is when you're not right there??  Thanks if you have any tips or advice.

Re: Questions about Fiengold Diet

• Options

We adhear to the Fiengold Diet. My husband was a part of the study when he was little and my son is on it now. My first advice it to read everything you can and decide exactly what you are elimanating. Then purdge the whole house of everything that contains those ingrediants. If you must make a box of foods that DD can't have but you still want to keep. Paint the lids of those containers red so you and DH don't give them to her.

For the first 4 weeks meal planning and shopping on your own are key. It is a ton of work but once you get the hang of it, it is easy. GL and if you have more q feel free to ask.

• Options
    What else are you doing to help her? Therapy? A diet is not going to solve this.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Spenjamins- 

Ummmmm YES a diet WILL make a difference!!! (please do not make judgements on things you have no experience with.  The OP is only seeking support)!

OP-  Keep up the great work! You are doing great! I started my DD last year on the CFGF diet as well as removing all dyes and foods with high phenols and the results are amazing!  In just a few weeks we noticed the difference and can even tell when she has been given something at the grandparents house. (it takes our dd 10-14 days to rid it). 

If that didn't work we were going to try the F diet or the GAPS diet. 

Best of luck and don't listen to the superficials who just want to be a gold poster! 

• Options
    A spinoff question...I am experimentally eliminating dyes but one activity DD and I love is baking...i was totally excited to make bunny cupcakes for Easter before deciding to do this.  Does anyone  know of natural food colors we can try?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.  We had made an appt with a child therapist but that's not till end of April, but was just hoping to kind of work with some of the diet ideas before we go so we can atleast explain what we have/or are currently trying. 
  • Options
    image1mondaygirl:

Spenjamins- 

Ummmmm YES a diet WILL make a difference!!! (please do not make judgements on things you have no experience with.  The OP is only seeking support)!

OP-  Keep up the great work! You are doing great! I started my DD last year on the CFGF diet as well as removing all dyes and foods with high phenols and the results are amazing!  In just a few weeks we noticed the difference and can even tell when she has been given something at the grandparents house. (it takes our dd 10-14 days to rid it). 

If that didn't work we were going to try the F diet or the GAPS diet. 

Best of luck and don't listen to the superficials who just want to be a gold poster! 

OH my. Get off you pedestal and learn how to read. So defensive....I wonder why....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"