Preemies
Options

Average age for first "public appearance"?

So my little guy was born 5 weeks early and is now 10 weeks old on paper. Since then we have only been out for pedi appointments and a fews walks outside, weather permitting. Thinking about venturing out with him for lunch this weekend and was just curious what the average age was for other moms to make a "public appearance" with their lo? Thanks!

Re: Average age for first "public appearance"?

• Options
    The nicu advised us to wait until rsv season is over (end of april/early may).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagevsalt31:
    The nicu advised us to wait until rsv season is over (end of april/early may).

Same here.  We have been home since January and have only been out to doctors appointments.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can check the CDC website to see when your RSV season ends. Its March/April in my region so you'd probably be ok with a lunch out since your LO wasn't a micro. If your LO had lots of breathing issues, I would reconsider but if you just had feeder/grower time and RSV season is ending, you are probably fine.
  • Options

Your LO is still small enough to be in the infant seat and covered...so, as long as you do that you should be fine since RSV season should be ending in your area. (you might want to check).

I would just make sure LO is fed and happy and sleeping good when you get there and then cover them really well. I always just put a good size blanket over the whole seat to cover my LO and it worked well. You can buy seat covers though. Etsy has lots of them but a blanket worked well for us.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/70124428/infant-car-seat-canopy-cover-desert-baby?ref=sr_gallery_7&sref=&ga_search_query=car+seat+canopy+covers&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_ref=related&ga_page=1&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

Just make sure no one lifts the blanket up to look or touch. You should be fine! Enjoy your lunch! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for the responses and suggestions, it really helps!  Ds had eating challenges, reflux and experienced Brady's prior to leaving the NICU but no respiratory concerns. Will definitely check out the CDC site, keep my fingers crossed for the warm weather that is a being predicted for this weekend and implement suggested precautions if we take the leap. Just getting a little cabin/spring fever ....:)
  • Options
    I had my 35 weeker September 2nd and we waiting until he got his two month shots before venturing out.  Our pediatrician said it was totally up to us but we decided we felt more comfortable waiting.  I'd probably check the CDC website to see what's going on in your area.  If it looks ok I'd follow PP's advice and just cover him up.  And then be sure to wash really well when you get back.  I hope it all works out so feel comfortable and you can have some time out of the house!
    image image image

• Options
    We just brought my DD to her first family function (grandparent's birthday) last week, but we didn't let anyone hold her and we left before any kids got there.  We won't be taking her 'out' until May per the pedi's recommendations, which really stinks since we were planning on April 1st until a week ago. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    The NICU also advised us against being out and about, but didn't give a firm timeline.  The pedi gave us her blessing for careful outings yesterday, so we took LO to lunch.  Her first outing was 3.5 months actual, 2 weeks adjusted. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"