Preemies
Options

how many weeks untill the worry stops

I keep reading and the books say 24 weeks has a 50% chance of living but with seriouse learning problems i see 25  26 27 week babys on here and comming from the moms what is the real survival rate?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: how many weeks untill the worry stops

• Options
    Are you seriously asking how many of us have lost a child?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't think you ever stop worrying.  DS1 was born at 37 weeks and I was still a worry wart.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are you asking when you're "safe" in pregnancy? Unfortunately, bad things can happen at any gestation. However, there are lots of little miracles out there and this board is full of those success stories. I think you just take it one day at a time, praying for the best as you go.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options

Are you serious? What exactly do you mean? How long until you can stop worrying about becoming one of us? Your'e totally insensative

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Im at risk for delivering premature I just wanted advice on when it was safe to not worry as much
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Sorry, nobody here can tell you some statistic that you can't look up yourself. We only know our own experiences. You may not realize it, but your question is awfully insensitive. 
  • Options

imagemtpgroove:
    Im at risk for delivering premature I just wanted advice on when it was safe to not worry as much

If you are at a high risk of delivering premature, you need to be counseled by a neonatologist.  They can give you the best information based on your specific case.

• Options
    This post is really bugging me. Would you ask someone with Cancer how to avoid Cancer? That is how insane posting your question here is.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photobucket
  • Options

imagemtpgroove:
    I keep reading and the books say 24 weeks has a 50% chance of living but with seriouse learning problems i see 25  26 27 week babys on here and comming from the moms what is the real survival rate?

You are a rude and insensitive person.  What the hell is the point of this post?  Do you really want us to tell you how many of our babies lived or died? 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

In short, the worry never stops, its part of being a mom, especailly the mom of a preemie.  From the way that your question is worded, it sounds like you are worried about your baby coming early.  And while the wording of your question would not phase someone in the medical community, its an insenstive thing to post of a preemie board.  Every mom on this board has been through the anxiety, tears, worry, and sleepless nights of having a preemie.  We've spent more time than we care to count in the NICU.  And some moms have experinced their baby dying.  Which is awful, and no parent should have to bury their own child.  But it happens.  And yet we soilder on, taking the best care of our little ones that we can.  

You can look up survival rates on-line.  But your post has essentially asked each of these stong women about possibly the worst experince in thier life.  You need to understand that.  No parent wants to have their child die.  This board is about the worry and the milestones that come with having a preemie.  It is a place of support from people who understand the challenge, and have experinced the triumphs.  If you would like to be welcome here, please take a moment to look at your question from this perspective. 

• Options
     I was at high risk for preterm deliver when I was pregnant too.  I don't think the worrying ever stops. I am a goal oriented person so i set up goals - 24 wks, 30 wks, 37 wks.  Totally arbitrary but they were based on a few milestones my ob and mfm told me.  I suggest talking to an MFM or neonatologist to get more info.  When I went on hospital bedrest a neo came to my room and briefed me on survival rates, potential complications, ect.  It made me feel better to know what to expect.
    Mom to three beautiful preemies:

Lily born at 27 wks: 2 lbs 4 oz.
    Max born at 27 wks: 2 lbs 2 oz.
    Glenn born at 31 wks: 3 lbs 9 oz.

My twin's birth story
  • Options

I agree this post is insensitive. Hopefully you just don't realize this and you're truly just worried and wanting to know when you're "out of the woods" with prematurity risks.

Most of the time, they want you to get to at least past 28 weeks. Babies at that stage have 90% chance or more of survival. But that being said, every situation is different. Please talk to your neonatologist.

PLEASE- don't assume that just because a baby is preemie it will have a learning disability or any other disability. There are PLENTY of 23-24 weekers I know that are smart a whip!

My baby was born at 29 weeks. They told me she "should" do fine and just have a nasal cannula for a day or 2. Well, 24 hours after birth both her lungs collapsed and she had to be ventilated. This is rare. So, you never know. You never stop worrying when you're pregnant until that baby is full term, born safely and in your arms. Even after that you will worry. Motherhood starts at conception- as does worry.

But please don't come on a preemie board and ask such insensitive questions. I hope you don't have a preemie but if you do, you will understand and PLEASE don't assume our babies have disabilities!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"