Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Charting after a D&C

First of all, I'm a total charting newbie. I tracked my period when TTC and that worked for me, however since I have not had AF since my D&C and I don't want to get pg before she arrives (Dr said to wait one cycle before TTC again). DH refuses to bag it and I refuse to go on the pill. I figure this is my best bet. So I have a few dumb questions...

I understand the basics of charting, but some of it seems vague. Can i just start tomorrow and call it CD1? Will my temp rise BEFORE or AFTER I O? What if I have sex tomorrow and then O a few days later....I could get pg if the little swimmers live in there for a few days. I think I should also track CM...but again, where do I start with that? UGH...sorry for all of the dumb questions, any help is appreciated!!

Also - I don't go for my follow up until Apr 12. She only wanted to see me 4 - 6 weeks after the D&C. It seems like SUCH a long wait.

BFP #1: 12/26/11, EDD 09/05/12; m/c discovered: 02/22/12 @ 12w u/s,
D&C: 03/08/12 Waited for AF for 146 long days!
Hysteroscopy/D&C on July 10th to fix blocked cervix (DX: Cervical Stenosis)
BFP #2 12/8/12, EDD 08/21/13 Our rainbow arrived 08/24/13!
imageimageimage

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Charting after a D&C

• Options

1. You cannot start tomorrow and call it cd1. You should call the day of your d&c cd 1. ETA: or if you started bleeding heavily prior to the d&c, I would probably go with the first day your bleeding was heavy,

2. You should see a temp rise/shift the day after you ovulate.

3. "They" say that sperm can live up to 5 days. Your fertile window is normally the three days prior to ovulation, the day of ovulation, and the day after...

4. Your cervical mucus will get stretchy and clearish like snot right around ovulation.

5. I would strongly recommend you sign up for fertility friend and take their tutorial on charting. In the interest of full disclosure, if you click on my chart in my siggy, and sign up, we both get free VIP charting days.

He's my fairytale, a dream when I'm not sleeping.

<a href="http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/behapybride/?action=view
  • Options

^^^ Very good advise  ^^^^

You should also read Take Chart of Your Fertility, she gives great lessons on how to AVOID getting pregnant as well. You can't really say you're going to avoid getting pg off of one month of charting  - you need to chart long enough to see patterns. It IS a good idea to start now though.

For reference, my first cycle after my D&C was pretty regular, about 5 weeks (there are horror stories).CD1 is the first day of red flow. For instance, I spotted 2 days after the surgery, and then got AF

My second cycle was 50 days long. I WISH to high heavens I had been charting because it caused me a TON of stress on top of dealing with the loss.

My third cycle was looking like it was getting back to normal, though I did O late - and it certainly didn't end too well ...

Point being, after a loss, there's no telling what your cycles will do. The ONLY way to not get pregnant is to use some form of birth control. If DH says he won't use a rubber, ask him how he'd feel if he got you pregnant and you had another loss back to back because your body wasn't ready.  Trust me, it happens. Give your body and mind time to heal. The only thing worse than one loss, is two.

Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The PPs make great points!  Fertility Friend is a great tool to use, it's very helpful.  And like Katherine said, I've read a lot of info online that says temping and even using OPKs may not be reliable immediately following a miscarriage, since your hormones go cray-cray.  Good luck and I hope you're healing nicely from your D&C!

ETA:  that is an unusually long wait for a post-op, PK...most are done 2 weeks after.  Did your doc give you a reason why she was waiting so long?

Cycle 7: BFP 1-17-12, Missed Miscarriage at 8w6d (measured 7w2d, no HB), D&C 2-29-12
    Cycle 9: BFP 5-3-12:EDD 1-24-13 It's a girl! Born 12-27-12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagekpowers982:

ETA:  that is an unusually long wait for a post-op, PK...most are done 2 weeks after.  Did your doc give you a reason why she was waiting so long?

My (operating) doctor said to come in anywhere from 2-6 weeks for the f/u exam.  I went at 2 b/c the Xmas season was approaching, but it's not unusual. If you are having bleeding 2 weeks out (and not just spotting) you should insist on going in sooner. 

Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
  • Options
    imagekatharine25:

^^^ Very good advise  ^^^^

You should also read Take Chart of Your Fertility, she gives great lessons on how to AVOID getting pregnant as well. You can't really say you're going to avoid getting pg off of one month of charting  - you need to chart long enough to see patterns. It IS a good idea to start now though.

How could I forget to mention TCOYF?!

OP- Definitely buy this book. Good Luck!

He's my fairytale, a dream when I'm not sleeping.

<a href="http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/behapybride/?action=view
  • Options
    imagebehapy2day:

1. You cannot start tomorrow and call it cd1. You should call the day of your d&c cd 1. ETA: or if you started bleeding heavily prior to the d&c, I would probably go with the first day your bleeding was heavy,

2. You should see a temp rise/shift the day after you ovulate.

3. "They" say that sperm can live up to 5 days. Your fertile window is normally the three days prior to ovulation, the day of ovulation, and the day after...

4. Your cervical mucus will get stretchy and clearish like snot right around ovulation.

5. I would strongly recommend you sign up for fertility friend and take their tutorial on charting. In the interest of full disclosure, if you click on my chart in my siggy, and sign up, we both get free VIP charting days.

Thanks so much for the advise! It really helps things be a little more clear! I signed up for fertility friend and downloaded the app for my phone too a couple of days ago, I just haven't done the tutorial. I know it's not the greatest method, after I get AF I can decide whether to TTC or TTA. I'm going to have the condom convo again with DH to use them at least until AF shows....hopefully I won't have to wait for months, but I know it's possible.

I haven't had any issues to see the OB, I barely bled or cramped after the D&C, so my wanting the follow up is more out of impatience!

Thanks everyone!! :)  

imageimageimage

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    imagekpowers982:

She told me this AFTER my D&C when I was all groggy, so didn't think to question it at the time. I was seeing my FD (I would have until 28 wks) so the OB was new to me. I haven't had any issues, so I think I'm ok to wait, I just feel impatient!

All I remember is that she said 1 week, no sex and we can TTC after one cycle.

Hope you're doing well too! :)

imageimageimage

Follow Me on Pinterest

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"