Preemies
Options

New here - girl born at 34w 3d

I gave birth to my daughter on the 15th and she's been in the NICU since then. We had to be transferred to a bigger hospital due to staffing shortages at our local one. I spend nearly all day in the NICU and sadly, none of the other moms are there very often at all.

Because of PTL since 28 weeks I had had the steroid shots so her lungs were quite mature at the time of birth. She was breathing room air when she was less than a day old, and then we were able to commence skin-to-skin. She was slightly jaundice, but that seems to have resolved and her levels stayed below

All we have left before we can take her home is to make sure she doesn't have bad reflux (the nurses progressively lower her cot from an incline to flat) and that she only feeds orally and not from a tube. This is where we've gotten stuck. My milk production is good, but not at the level needed to get her to have a good feed. She has to work too hard, so I am going to start taking herbal supplements and possibly prescription medication.

I pump every 2-3 hours or so and my supply has been nearly enough to cover all of her feeds, even when they're by bottle or tube and she receives very little formula. 

I just thought I'd post to give and receive support from others and especially those of you spending a lot of time in the NICU.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: New here - girl born at 34w 3d

• Options

Congrats and welcome!

Your DD sounds a lot like mine. She was on CPAP for about 24 hours, had a slight issue with jaundice, and needed to learn how to eat. My DD did end up with reflux issues that would cause her to brady which extended our stay a few times. Good work on the pumping!

I hope the remainder of your NICU stay is short and uneventful! Feel free to PM me if you need! :)

• Options
    She is so cute. Congratulations momma! Youre doing a great job & good work on the pumping.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    congrats on your new baby. Hoping you continue to have an uneventful nicu stay.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Congrats Jesbeth!  Your little girl is beautiful!  I remember you from the April board :-) 

Just wanted to say, don't get discouraged with your milk not coming in yet...it definitely takes time.  Mine probably took about 10 days.  You are doing awesome though by pumping every 2-3 hours...I found that to be the hardest part...it's definitely a commitment (I am currently attached to my breast pump as I type)!  Hang in there! 

IMG_0293

Mr. & Mrs. 10/2/10 | Dx w/PCOS March 2011
    BFP - 7/25/11 | EDD 4/3/12 | C-section 2/7/12 @ 32 weeks 
    BFP - 1/07/14 | EDD 9/20/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I post from my phone because I have no internet otherwise, so sorry if I'm not around much.
  • Options
    imageCTbride79:

Congrats Jesbeth!  Your little girl is beautiful!  I remember you from the April board :-) 

Just wanted to say, don't get discouraged with your milk not coming in yet...it definitely takes time.  Mine probably took about 10 days.  You are doing awesome though by pumping every 2-3 hours...I found that to be the hardest part...it's definitely a commitment (I am currently attached to my breast pump as I type)!  Hang in there! 

Of course! Thank you hun. I hope Gavin is doing well. Yup, we are milking machines! Hehe.

• Options

Pumping now too haha! 

Congratulations on the birth of your LO, she sounds alot like mine.  Born at 34 w 6 days, jaundice and feeding were the main issues.  Being in the NICU all the time is really hard, we have been home about a week now.  Hopefully she won't be in there too long. 

Me: 38  DH:36
    lap for endo 12/2010  uterus didelphys confirmed in hysteroscopy 
    dd born at 34 weeks 2/29/12  short NICU stay
    BFP somewhere around 2/14/13  d&c april @ 12 wks   partial molar diagnosed after d&c
    HCG monitoring for approx 11 months
    TTC  #2 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"