LGBT Parenting
Options

Help me understand sperm values.

So last cycle I got an IUI insemination report after the procedure that included a Sample Analysis of the sperm.  Our midwives did not do sperm analysis so this was the first I'd seen of it. The Concentration was 32 Million/mL and the Total Motile Count was 4.18 M.  The nurse said the motility was "fine" but indicated it could be better.

Today she told me the Total Motile Count was 7.85 M -- which is great because that's a lot higher.  Then she told me that cryobanks usually guarantee a certain value -- she said most guarantee 3 or above, some guarantee 5 or above, and I should check our cryobank because if it's 5 or above, I could ask about reimbursement for the 4.18 vial.

I checked the Specimen Quality Standards for CCB and for Premium IUI vials it says "Motile Sperm/Vial (After Thawing)" should be a minimum of 10 million.  Does that refer to Concentration or Total Motile Sperm?  Because if it's Concentration we're all set, but if it's Total Motile Sperm we're still low.  I tried calling CCB but the customer service rep obviously did not know anything more than what the chart on the website says.

Do any of you have a better understanding of this than I do?  I'm completely confused.  TIA!

Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
*Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Help me understand sperm values.

• Options

I believe that "Motile Sperm/Vial (After Thawing)" refers to the number of motile sperm (not total sperm/concentration because while there's a higher number they will not all be moving). We're also with CCB so I looked over our info and the website again and it definitely refers to "counting" motile sperm and variations. I'd say you should submit for reimbursement and see what happens...
    Keep us posted!

Disclaimer: I am not at all an expert at this, and hopefully someone with more knowledge (either her or at the bank can weigh in).

Met 07/07/05, Wedding 07/07/07, Legal Marriage Ceremony 12/9/12, Baby Boy Born 08/09/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think you're right that it's the motile count.  Thanks for weighing in!  I should probably just call CCB and ask to speak to someone about motility rather than trying to talk it out with customer service.

9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think they're referring to the total mobile sperm.  I'd request a refund for the 4.18 one - the worst they can do is say no.  I don't know what our bank guarantees but I do know that my RE checks that the count is above 5 million before IUI.  (We'd have to pay extra for any further information - that is their cut off for a worthwhile sample.)

P.S. good luck to you this cycle!! 

TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • Options

our bank doesn't give us a total concentration count, only the motile count, but I believe they guarantee ~10M per vial (I haven't checked to see if that's changed, but that's what it was when we first started trying what, 4 years ago now?). we've never had below 12M with this donor that I can remember although we did with the first, and on a couple of cycles we've had over 20M. Ours are usually in the mid/upper teens. I'd definitely contact them. ours won't refund, but they will replace it the next cycle if it's a BFN.

• Options
    Now I need to go and check what our bank guarantees. 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.  Definitely need to call CCB...and add this to our list of things to consider when we decide whether or not to switch donors.
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"