Northern California Babies
Options

Burping

At what point can I stop burping Max? He has moderate reflux (on prescription meds) so we've always been really diligent about burping so he doesn't puke everywhere.

Lately, he doesn't really want to burp; if you stop mid-feed, he screams his head off and won't let you burp him (Can't put him on my shoulder t burp, so sit him on my knee and do that way... he'll straigthen and lock his knees so he can't sit down)

He throws up less these days, so sometimes he has burpless feeds... so whaddaya think? Can I let him go burpless on purpose or should I keep trying? And his adjusted age is just shy of 4 months.

Re: Burping

• Options
    I'd keep burping.... around 6-8 months, they need it less because they are developed enough to burp if they need to. However, when I feed and burp Max, I most often get a HUGE one out of him. I think he'd be really uncomfortable if you didn't coax it out of him still.
  • Options
    We had started to slow down, too at about that age since every other child I had come in contact with didn't need to burp, but then it backfired. The boys ended up with some painful gas episodes and big-time projectile spit-up. I might be one of the more overly cautious mommies, but I didn't stop burping until after 10 months (DH and MIL even kept on a bit after me).?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We had reflux issues too, medicated as well.  Started burping less about 5-6 mo, and was able to cut out meds altogether about 8-9 mo.  We were covered in puke before we got the meds at 3 mo & had to fight for those.  I think Dr. only gave in because of Mason's weight - we lost since previous appt.

Something else that helped was my nursing position.  Quickly figured out that a football hold kept him at a much better angle than cradle or cross cradle.  I still used a Boppy, but put it around my side & pushed down the back into the couch.

• Options

Because Max is close to G's age, I can tell you what I do with him.

When G starts pulling away for a second and then going back for more, then he pulls away again, it is usually my cue that he needs to be sat upright to burp. Other than that I don't really bother G for burping since he does do it sometimes by himself.

Mama to Z - 5.5 years, G - 3.5 years, & M - 1.5 years.
  • Options
    Izzie didn't have reflux but she had extreme spit up issues, so we were always super diligent about burping and keeping her semi upright after feedings. Around 4 months, she stopped spitting up, but we still sat her up to make sure she burped, if she didn't after 5 minutes we didn't sweat it. I stopped really burping her when she started sitting up and she did it on her own.... more so after 5 months and close to 6.?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"